Thread: re-wrap???

User Info Menu

Default re-wrap???

Hey guys this is my first post. I thoroughly enjoy all the great advice.

Now for the 6 million dollar question, have any of you “re-wrapped” your drums. I’ve seen it mentioned before but not in detail. Are there any materials that are a no-go? What should I look out for... any tips?

User Info Menu

Default Re: re-wrap???

I've read about doing it. Google for drum wraps and log on to which ever site you choose...any site that I have checked has a "how to" section. It looks real easy..biggest problem is removing any ols glue and be very careful about removig the vent holes. I just re wrapped my kit with self adhesive vinyl and it was very easy. Wrap can be expensive.
    good luck
    RIFF
    Last edited by RIFF WRATH; 02-21-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: to say welcome aboard.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the boards, Phantom. I almost re-wraped my '53 Gretsch kit before I sold it, but decided against it.

Try this website out: http://www.jamminsam.com/drum_wrap_video.htm

It's a little hokey and poorly made, but the video is pretty good about giving advice on how to get old wrap off. If it's an older kit you're looking to re-wrap (pre '80's), you might be looking at some tricky glue under that wrap. The video covers it, but try using a heat gun or a really hot hair dryer with a putty knife to get the old wrap up.

If you need more advice, give us some clues on your kit - what year, etc. The website above also has wrap that you can buy to put on your kit at a pretty decent price. But, the video covers it all. If you still have more questions, let us know.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

thanks informative vid

User Info Menu

No problem, man. Let us know if we can help anymore.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

It isn't all that difficult to do if you follow the directions on numerous Internet sites. It isn't all that cheap to do though, at least plan on spending $200 to $300 dollars on the project.

ThePloughman Guest

This is the only before pic........ The bass drum was a white badly scuffed floor tom, the floor tom was a raw 8 ply all maple keller, the 8x12 was black with bad scuffing. Rogers 8 ply all maple XP8 shells.

To This.....................

Rogers 16x18, 8x12, 14x14. Green Glass Glitter. All extra, non essential holes dowelled and plugged. I used laminate adhesive. Its been five years now. They still look great. Pic is from a couple months ago. I used Rogers Swivomatic Pat Pend mounts for the spurs, cymbal arm, and tom arm with mounts. 300 in hardware, two sheets of wrap at 80 each. Probably close to 700 in these.

Follow the directions. Dont short cut anything. Slow down, take your time, and be patient.

User Info Menu

I am in the process of re-wrapping my 63 Ludwigs. There are 2 schools of thought...glue or tape...both have advantages and disadvantages. There are about 6 companies I've been dealing with for wraps...should you want more info, I can give you some insights, but I don't have the actual experience as yet. I have prepared one drum so far and am trying to choose my favorite style to try...

ThePloughman Guest

So Im five years down the road from the actual wrap on this project. Ive gigged these drums, carried them always in cases, they have sat for months at a time in the church, mostly in the winter....... and it was mostly unheated, except for maybe 2 days a week, not dreadfully cold, but certainly down to the 50 degree mark. Always bagged and cased when transported.

No wrap pulls or shrinkage, and the seams, are as tight as day one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    This is the only before pic........ The bass drum was a white badly scuffed floor tom, the floor tom was a raw 8 ply all maple keller, the 8x12 was black with bad scuffing. Rogers 8 ply all maple XP8 shells.

To This.....................

Rogers 16x18, 8x12, 14x14. Green Glass Glitter. All extra, non essential holes dowelled and plugged. I used laminate adhesive. Its been five years now. They still look great. Pic is from a couple months ago. I used Rogers Swivomatic Pat Pend mounts for the spurs, cymbal arm, and tom arm with mounts. 300 in hardware, two sheets of wrap at 80 each. Probably close to 700 in these.

Follow the directions. Dont short cut anything. Slow down, take your time, and be patient.

Those turned out beautifully, Plough

User Info Menu

thanks a lot guys

User Info Menu

ploughman, you have the most impressive set of drums i have ever seen, really you have so many rogers

User Info Menu

i love that colour plough its an awesome kit :> *drools*
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu