Thread: painting drums

User Info Menu

Default painting drums

Does it work? I own a red tama swingstar and I've been wanting to add a second floor tom but I cannot find them in the same color as the rest of my set, how does panting drums work?

User Info Menu

Default Re: painting drums

I think you do it like you would a car. Prime, paint, clear coat, wet sand and polish. I'm not sure what type of paint though, laquer, enamal, acrilic or polyurathane. Sorry

User Info Menu

I was thinking about buying a new set eventually anyway, I don't really like the tone of the swingstar. So I guess what I'm really asking is how do you paint a set and how hard is it. I'm sure it has been done before

User Info Menu

i stained my snare drum a dark red-brown color, and it looks really cool. i wouldnt go with a wall paint on it it just doesnt seem right. you definitely want to laquer it so it will shine. tell us what color and what your looking for

User Info Menu

My drums are painted. I work in a auto body shop It is just like painting a car. I would bring the tom to your local body shop with your other tom to match and i'm sure they would do it

User Info Menu

i think it would be really really expencive to get them to look the same. if your looking at a new kit just keep the pieces of different colours. Or i think there are professional drum painting places that do custon jobs......

Just ideas.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Any quality automotive finish supply store can match any solid color on a drum kit exactly. They have computer spectrum analyzer equipment that can peer into a color and tell the computer exactly what color pigments that need to be incorporated into a base to match the color. Applying it on a raw shell is the problem, but can be done it you use the right products with professional results.

User Info Menu

thanks a bunch for the help! I think I might just hold out for a new kit, its been about 6 years

User Info Menu

what kinda kit would you look at peachy?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters