Thread: Newbie Question - Ride Cymbal

User Info Menu

Default Newbie Question - Ride Cymbal

Hello

I bought a second hand drum kit for $100. I set it up at my place.

When I hit the ride cymbal it doesn't sound like what I expect. It sounds more like a chinese gong. Am I hitting it wrong??? Did I set it up wrong?

Thanks for your help...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie Question - Ride Cymbal

HI welcome to drum chat. Hit it lightly with the tip of your drumstick
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

first of all welcome to drumchat! im sure you will love it here, and I too have a beginner set that i got for really cheap. that ride, my friend, is complete crap, i am sorry to say. my friend and I both have the beginner sets and they both came with crappy rides that sounded like gongs....UPGRADE!

User Info Menu

Both Andreew, and coke can gave you the correct answer, you hit the cymbal lightly with the tip of the stick, also experiment with where you hit it. Closer to the bell will give you a more defined ping, and closer to the edge will give you more wash. The cymbals that come with most sets are crap as coke can says, and you probably will want to upgrade the cymbals in the near future.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Do you know what type and size of ride cymbal it is? I agree with Coke you may just have a cheap cymbal on your hands. Dont worry, we've all been stuck with crappy cymbals when we first start out. Just save up and upgrade as soon as possible.

Ernie

User Info Menu

Yeah most beginner sets come with crappy cymbals as far as I've read in reviews everywhere. You may want to upgrade them all if you have the money to get a nice small beginner pack.

User Info Menu

Are You sure you didn't put the Crash instead of Ride ??

Because when I started Drummin' I can't differ them....
    And becoz of unnamed cymbals usually came with no exact details about Crash and Ride....

(I've played my Crash as Ride before my teacher told me that I set it wrong...)
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I had to play with one of those for a couple months before i could afford a nicer ride, but until you can get one (assuming it will be a few) put a couple few strips of ductape on the bottom. this will kill a lot of the "china" sound and your sustain. the "stick action" will be far better though

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have a lot of wash in it, like has been advised earlier just put some tape or moongel to control the wash (roar) and see it that helps. chances are you just got a lousy sounding cymbal.

User Info Menu

Lots of good advice here and we've all been there. While you are getting used to the world of drumming, visit the various cymbal websites for description and information. You can pick up a lot about what kind of cymbals you may want for the type of drumming you wish to do...there are cymbals, indeed, for each style. Also, listen to a lot of music. Eventually, you will hear cymbals that will interest you. From that, you can research the band, the drummer and find out more about the equipment etc. etc. One more thing, this may seem daunting and nothing is worse that a crappy sounding cymbal BUT, don't let that stop you. The journey is exhilerating. Good Luck!!

User Info Menu

Hello

Thank you for your advice. When I hit lightly closer to the centre it sounds like the ping. Hitting the cymbal lightly is really annoying... the natural instinct is to hit hard.... oh well. The cymbals are Sabian B8s (although very worn out).... it was a good deal I bought first and asked questions later...

Thanks again!