Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hittin the rims

User Info Menu

Default hittin the rims

anyof you hit the rims when your tring to do a roll down the drumset toms, i keep practicing but still do it all the time

User Info Menu

everyone does it mate .....check out the video "pinkfloyd live at pompeii directors cut " nick mason even drops his sticks after hitting the rims !!

try moving your toms about if you`re doing to too much ..

User Info Menu

I don't really have that problem since my toms are SOOO steep.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah mine are too ....if you play them steep though alien play them fairly high too .so your arms are straight out .woks for me

User Info Menu

(singing)mine are steeper then yours... hehehe

User Info Menu

No offense, but I think when toms are extremely steep it looks wierd.

User Info Menu

Although I do believe that that is the heavy metal style, and your name is metal drummer, so........

User Info Menu

The angle of your toms should fit YOUR body. Just adjust the angles until you get a perfect fit. If you hit the rims...do some more fine tunning to the angle. You'll get there.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Reminds me of Peter Criss.

User Info Menu

Talking

Yeah, I do it for the same reason I do a rim shot on the snare. Punctuation

User Info Menu

yes i do all the time but sometimes i hit the rim as somethin to ride on
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

like metal drummer my toms are set steep too so just find an angle your cofortable with
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

i don't have tht problem much anymore thanks to hours of goin bak and forth on the kit doin 2 on each drum

User Info Menu

I don't even do rim shots on the snare. Never. Not even on purpose. I just never use them.

User Info Menu

I think Markis nailed it. You just have to repetitively go through the motions. Practice it slow. Steve Smith used to teach these things called motion exercises where you practice different motion routines around the drums, sticking with one pattern at a time until you get it up to speed. I found it helped clean things up for me.

User Info Menu

Unhappy Im Need Help:(

hey guys i been drumming for a 1year and people at my school are making fun of me what should im do

User Info Menu

learn to play really well and screw what they say .....i used to have the same problem i was never in the `in` crowd and school and i got my sticks thrown on the roof of the gym block a couple times .It doesn`t matter what people think mate .you do what YOU feel good about. They`re probably just jealous because they have no talent . Most of the kids ....no ALL of the kids that gave me a hard time couldn`t get in good things at school because they were just to dumb to see it was actually FUN and not in the least geeky or stupid.They are the ones missing out on a possible future having a job thats actually FUN....when they`re all working in factories and you`re on the stage it`ll all seem insignificant ......to hell with them mate .,...WELCOME TO THE FORUM .YOU HAVE DRUMMING FRIENDS HERE !!!!

by the way ....i`m 35 now and have made a fair amount of money and had a great time playing drums .just stick with it and give them the middle finger !!
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 10-01-2006 at 04:34 AM.

User Info Menu

dude i`m a 13 year old girl drummer and i wouldn`t worry about it if i were you there are plenty of stupid people in the world that you`ll have to deal with a lot of people think i`m kinda weird but there`s a good amount of people that think i`m cool and i`m sure it`s the same for you and if not it will be
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    i was never in the `in` crowd and school and i got my sticks thrown on the roof of the gym block a couple times
    ...just stick with it and give them the middle finger !!
    I say it's time for some pay back. Just give us the cretan's e-mail address and we'll crash their computers!

User Info Menu

hahahahahahahaha

User Info Menu

*awkward cough* i would know nothing about crashing computers....0.o
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

what? computer crashing party? got any room for someone with a degree in computers?....i mean...um....that's wrong....we shouldn't crash someone's computer....geez

User Info Menu

Sorry, just hate bullies. I tend to snap a bit when I see that kind of malarky. We were at an amusement park a few weeks back and some high school kids tryed giving my 12 year old a ration off crap. Boy were they sheepish when I jumped down their throats. What this has to do with "hitting the rims", I dunknow? Anyway...back to our regularly scheduled program...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    The angle of your toms should fit YOUR body. Just adjust the angles until you get a perfect fit. If you hit the rims...do some more fine tunning to the angle. You'll get there.

RIGHT!

no 1 set is the same
    it should be customized to your body type and the way you play
    my ride cymbol is 4 inches lower then my dads..why? because hes a gorilla (6'5..im 5'11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDrummer212
    RIGHT!

no 1 set is the same
    it should be customized to your body type and the way you play
    my ride cymbol is 4 inches lower then my dads..why? because hes a gorilla (6'5..im 5'11
    Right.
    I'm 5'5" and my ride is way up high (to get it over my toms).