Thread: Zildjian Z Customs

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Z Customs

Just recently I bought brand new Z rock customs. I bought the 16in and the 18in. I really like these cymbals, but out of the 16in i get a very bright, almost "pingy" or "tingy" high end. The 18in doesn't do it as much.
    Why is that? And is this normal for these cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Z Customs

Hi Pearldrummer! Welcome to Drum Chat. Since I don't play the Z Customs (I'm more of an A Custom guy), I'll leave you question for some others to comment on, but I did want to give you a welcome to the site! You'll find that others will come along and help you with this before long. I know we've got other Z Custom fans in here.

I hope you'll take some time to look aeound, and feel free to offer your opinions, general thoughts, and advice where ever you feel like it. Enjoy the Chat Pearldrummer!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thank you bob
    its nice to be here
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

you prob get that higher pitch because the cymbal is smaller, and smaller cymbals are higher pitch. it might also be the way the cymbal was made. cause no two cymbals are exactly the same. or there might be a crack in the cymbal. and welcome 2 the site
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

thanks

there isnt any cracks in the cymbals becuase they really are brand new

is there anyway to get rid of that high pitch?
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I have the 18' Z custom projection crash. Its really pingy and a little clangy. I guess they were made that way
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

As far as I know the Z Customs are designed by Zildjian to be loud, raw and aggressive, suited to Hard Rock or Metal genres.

They are very thick cymbals with lots of high end. This is so they can cut through as loud as possible.

I'm with PB in that I prefer the A Customs. I'm not sure what you could do to try and reduce it... Is it a massively different sound to the 18"? Because what with them being from the same series they should compliment each other...

I've got the 15", 17" and 19" A Customs and while the larger two out do the smaller 15" in terms of projection and decay (the 15" is quicker, but then its smaller so that's to be expected) they fundamentally share the same sound...
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

All new cymbals take some time to mellow out- give it some time and preferably dont clean it and the ringy sound should mellow out more, Z customs are supposed to be very cutting and somewhat clangy but they should be ok after some time spent playing them.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

thats why i bought them
    i wanted them to be loud

I was going to ask if there is such a thing as a "break in" period for new cymbals

and it does produce a noticably different, not extremly, but it is noticable
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

welcome to drumchat pearl drummer. im sure you will love it here.

when i first bought my cymbals they sounded really high pitched and ringy, but overtime dust collected on them and general aging of the cymbal caused it to sound much warmer.

my advice: wait it out without cleaning it and see if it sounds any better, if not take it back

User Info Menu

I do know that if they aren't cleaned for a while they will start to lose some tone and become a little dull

I'll do that and see how it goes
    And they probably do just need played on a little more also
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer13 View Post
    thats why i bought them
    i wanted them to be loud

I was going to ask if there is such a thing as a "break in" period for new cymbals

and it does produce a noticably different, not extremly, but it is noticable
    Yes there is, every cymbal gets better over time

As for your issue, yes, teh Z customs were meant for the heavy music, they were meant to be a "raw" cymbal, no other tastes like the other lines, And their thick, the thicker the cymbal, the higher the sound, thast why rock cymbals are so thick, and so high pitched, while jazz cymbals are very dark (low) and thin

User Info Menu

what i thought was strange was that you had a z custom that wasn't high pitched and clangy not to worry, it will mellow out a little but they are pretty much made to sound that way. it can be annoying when playing by yourself, or in a small practice space. but on a stage in a loud amped situation, they will sound just like what your after.

User Info Menu

yea it is a little annoying when playing by myself
    when I played with one of the guitarists in my band though, it did blend in with the sound
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Yom summed it up nicely.....

I sometimes use a z custom dyno beat w/ hexagonal hammer pattern 13" hihat bottom when looking for a more solid "chick" sound with my k custom 13" hihat top.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors