Thread: I've been playing 8 months now and Can't kick this habit

User Info Menu

Default I've been playing 8 months now and Can't kick this habit

Hello everyone. I'm definitely new to drumming (always wanted to play them as a kid, but parents didn't want the noise in the house), but now I have a really bad habit. Growing up I used to play the bass beat in my car with my right hand. I'm now 29 years old, and every time I play an off beat, my right hand wants to break away from a steady hi-hat beat to copy everything that the right foot does. I can't think of a worse habit to have on a drum kit. Has anyone had this habit and broke it, or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you have!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dragooner
    Hello everyone. I'm definitely new to drumming (always wanted to play them as a kid, but parents didn't want the noise in the house), but now I have a really bad habit. Growing up I used to play the bass beat in my car with my right hand. I'm now 29 years old, and every time I play an off beat, my right hand wants to break away from a steady hi-hat beat to copy everything that the right foot does. I can't think of a worse habit to have on a drum kit. Has anyone had this habit and broke it, or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you have!!!
    yup i have that REALLY bad habbit too .I`m ok playing 8th notes on the hats but if i switch to quater notes on the hats then i copy what my bass foot is doing and it frustrates the hell out of me ....just keep going it`ll go eventually(so they tell me )

anyone with tips on this would really help us out .!!

dave

User Info Menu

Thank you for your feedback Dave!!! Now I don't feel so "alone" in this. I was kinda thinking it was an unbreakable habit, but others have told me the same thing - keep practicing and it should go away. I was also told to switch hands on the hi-hat. That didn't help me, but I guess its possible it could help someone else out.

User Info Menu

mmm .....switch hands i`ll have to try that !!!

cheers
    dave

EDIT : nope didn`t work for me either...lol
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 09-29-2006 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

i dont have that problem but id play what you want on the hh for a while then yull be used to it so then add the bass drum and you probly wont mess up since your used to the hh pattern
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Luckily my paents got me a set before i was really into drums, so i never had to deal with that problem, bu my suggestion to you is play eighths on your hat slowly!! then add bass(without snare) and just practice that uyntil you get it down, when you do add in crasehes, snare fills and what not.

User Info Menu

i cracked this habit easy ... if you call 4 weeks time easy... but anyways play 8th with your foot and 4ths with your left or right hand, switching hands helps alittle unless you plan on using DB then its pointless... all i can say is just practice.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Oh man, this just about drove me crazy. Until I cracked it.
    What I did was play the hats and add bass drum beats and eventually I was playing complex (compared to the habit) stuff. It takes quite some time, but it's way worth it.

User Info Menu

Wow - this is some great advice - thanks everyone - I gotta go practice now !!!

User Info Menu

Cool breaking bad habits

the best way I know is to take it slow and work on it then start to pick up speed a long don't rush it,it will come if it was easy everone would do it.

User Info Menu

well..sorry to hear about you guys and your condition i would recommend looking up a Drum techniques books for biginners... I own "Drumset Musician" and "primary handbook for snaredrumming" if you crack down on this you can learn to lead with different parts of your body--like..i could ride with my base and do other stuff with my arms..or use my right or left arm to ride...its just coordination skills that you gotta get a hold of

Keep workin on it guys- and itll come naturally Good luck!

User Info Menu

Accept the fact that you have four separate limbs, which just happen to be functioning as one. And like phillip said "take it slow". The slower the better. Do not ever be ashamed of playing something slow, playing extremely slow is often more difficult than playing fast. If you have it mastered slow, speed comes naturally.

User Info Menu

oh well maybe you dont know me in person...I have 5 limbs...I have an extra arm!

User Info Menu

the one thing i'm glad I did a year or so into drumming was learn everything on the set with both traditional sticking (right hand hi-hats over left hand snare) as well as open-hand which is obviously the opposite. this was a daunting task at first but it is probably the area i'm most proud and comfortable with. this got my independence flurishing in no time, a real eureka! moment once everything kinda fell into place.
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

yea i first learned to ride 4ths and 8ths open hand...i guess if thats
    where your arms are not crossed...then yea i learned it openhand
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

If you're right handed and your ride is traditionaly where you'ld find one, that isn't necessarily the open-handed I was getting at. I mean playing the high hat with your left hand, 'traditionaly' the one that people usually play on the snare, are we on the same page?
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

Its just practice. I had it for ages but now i can do different patterns on the hihat and make my playing more interesting.

User Info Menu

Default Urg

Yeah i just posted a new thread about this...
    this is the method i'm using which i made myself.....i'm not sure what the terminology is but this is what i do

h=Hihat b=bassdrum hb= hihat& bassdrum "-"=empty beat

first i start with this
    hb b hb (repeat as a beat)

then i do this
    hb b b hb (repeat as a beat)

then
    hb b b b hb (repeat as a beat)

then i leave out a bass drum beat alternatly
    h b b b hb,
    hb b - b hb,
    hb b b - h,

i try to vary this as much as possible so to train my foot to go and do its own thing. the one thing i would say is when alternating is to keep the hi-hats constant (obviously).

you may think my method is a load of **** but this is whats helping me to kick the habit...may not work for you but its works for me...
    Last edited by mexicancounciloffood; 12-01-2006 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

i love this idea....and not only does it help train your foot but it helps train your mind....great idea...if u don't mind i think i will maybe use this method with my students

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    i love this idea....and not only does it help train your foot but it helps train your mind....great idea...if u don't mind i think i will maybe use this method with my students

Its ok....i'm just thrilled that someone likes my idea! that made my day it did......! i'll forward the address for my royalty payments of course only kidding....wow....confidence boooooost!

User Info Menu

hehe....