Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most prefered type of pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Most prefered type of pedal?

I have an old Axis double pedal thats on its last beater And I'm in need for a new pedal

I've gone and played on some of the DW 9000, Tama Iron Cobras, and some Axis pedals

I seem to like the Iron Cobras the most out of all of them, but whats the difference in the feel of the Iron Cobras power glide with the chain or the flexi glide with nylon straps?

Is there an advantage to either of them?

Or would it be better to get another Axis pedal, or a nice DW?
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most prefered type of pedal?

im thinking about getting a double pedal some time this week or next week

oh and whichever feels the best to you, the brand doesnt matter if it feels right

User Info Menu

Iron cobra is particulaly good for heel down kick drum playing. I personally prefer the pearl eliminator which is in a similar price range. Its just preference really

User Info Menu

Oh and btw i think the straps arnt as durable or strong as chains and can snap. I havnt played one though, i would stick with chain though

User Info Menu

Idk, I thought that they were made with some pretty think nylon.

I think chain would be more responsive over the straps
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I just looked it up and it has a DuPont Kevlar strap instead of the nylon

its more durable and stronger than nylon
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas PEARLDRUMMER13 ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER

I use IRON COBRA DOUBLE HP900PTW POWER GLIDE & IRON COBRA DOUBLE
    HP900RSW ROLLING GLIDE & PEARL ELIMINATOR DOUBLE * I love My TAMAS
    THE MOST ,the TAMA ARE FOR me- SO VERY SMOOTH & FANTASTIC HOT FAST ACTION* The PEARL Eliminator IS VERY HOT TOO.In all My Years of PERFORMING I have used MANY MANY PEDALS they have all been good *
    MY SPEED KING *Gretsch Floating Action,My siv-O-Matic. MY GHOST My DW
    7000 DOUBLE *BUT I PERFER MY TAMAS IRON -COBRAS* *GRACIAS **
    WHAT ever works for THE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT**

User Info Menu

you may want to check out the dw 8000 series
    the are (at least in my opinion) a blending of the best aspects of the I.C.s 5000's and 9000's
    my next pedals for sure
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I got an Iron Cobra and its awesome
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

One more Vote for Iron Cobra...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

PD what axis peddles did you play?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I like to say I'm a big fan of direct drive pedals just for that extra speed, but I realized some time ago that 1) I was more of a double chain strong feel pedal guy where I just beat the crap out of the pedals at slower speeds and still get a nice boom at higher speeds and 2) that direct drive pedals aren't that much faster.

User Info Menu

if your interested in direvt drive pedals take a look at the tricks. I got a single a couple of days ago and it is SWEET.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I read that the owner of Trick pedals came from the high performance auto parts industry and raced cars for years. he has kind of taken that approach to his pedals, by that I mean that they are all machined from billet aluminum T 6066 aircraft grade and super heavy duty bearing etc. They look like they are really nice pedals but I have never played them.

User Info Menu

Pedals are just like cymbals. It is point of taste.
    I tried many doublepedals before i get my Pearl Eliminator 2002C.
    In Greece the Eliminator is more expensive than the Iron Cobra. The Eliminator has more adjustments so you can fix it exactly as you wish.
    For me the best double pedal is the Axis and second the Eliminator and i vote for chain drive
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    if your interested in direvt drive pedals take a look at the tricks. I got a single a couple of days ago and it is SWEET.
    sorry to hear you wont be able to afford to eat for awhile. but i'm sure the pedal is worth the price. if i ever retire my trusty dw5000s it will be for tricks.
    they respond better than anything i have played, but 700 bux for a dbl pedal is just tooo much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    sorry to hear you wont be able to afford to eat for awhile. but i'm sure the pedal is worth the price. if i ever retire my trusty dw5000s it will be for tricks.
    they respond better than anything i have played, but 700 bux for a dbl pedal is just tooo much.
    HAHA!

Yeah, i got a single off ebay for about £200 (shipped) overall, and saved myself some money for what it normally is in the UK by getting it from the US
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

PD what axis peddles did you play?

they are an older model
    nothing special
    its pretty primitive to some of todays pedals imo

i got it used a long time ago for $100
    it was still in generally good condition when i got it too

its just i want something more responsive than the old springs that are on it,
    and the bar that connects the two pedals has a stripped set screw causing it not to stay tight and sometimes I'm hitting the base of the pedal when I play
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Perhaps you can save yourself a boat load of money by just fixing the pedal you have. If it has a stripped set screw that is a pretty easy fix with a product called heli coil, it will re-thread a stripped thread and hold the set screw. If it is really stripped beyond repair just drill it out and re-thread it. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself a machine shop can do it for you and if they charge more than thirty bucks their nuts.

User Info Menu

I worked on it yesterday and it as more than a stripped set skrew...

The arm that reaches across from the left pedal to the right(main pedal) has a joint that connects to the left beater that is almost a complete circle (from being an octogon shape)

so really there is no way of fixing that unless I were to drill a couple new holes for set screws to keep it more stable
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    How does the Trick feel? Is it a really 'floaty' feeling as compared to a traditional chain drive?
    I am sick of fixing broken parts and pieces on my 10 yr. old DW 5000's and am thinking about either Trick or Axis. They are both really expensive, but I'm tough on pedals and I think it would be worth the $ in the long run.
    BTW I've been digging around for info. on both Axis and Trick, and I keep finding complaints about Axis not being able to keep up with demand for spare parts, etc. lately... Anyone have any input on this?

User Info Menu

Been playing a Iron Cobra Double for about 3 years now. It is strap and I like it alot. played both chain and strap and strap seems to fit me better even though my head says the chain is "cooler" and what I should like. Play them out hard at the store its a big decision. I have stripped a few screws in my cobra but I break it down and set it up a few times a week...
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most preferred type of pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    How does the Trick feel? Is it a really 'floaty' feeling as compared to a traditional chain drive?
    I am sick of fixing broken parts and pieces on my 10 yr. old DW 5000's and am thinking about either Trick or Axis. They are both really expensive, but I'm tough on pedals and I think it would be worth the $ in the long run.
    BTW I've been digging around for info. on both Axis and Trick, and I keep finding complaints about Axis not being able to keep up with demand for spare parts, etc. lately... Anyone have any input on this?
    If Axis is not being able to keep up with demand for spare parts then I would inquire what is breaking the most that they can't keep up. Also you have got to understand that these companies like Axis and Trick build foot pedals and that is all. Which worries me a little that they are so small that they can have a hiccup and be bankrupt. Then you are stuck with a pedal that you pray does not break because there are no parts for it. Maybe it would be sound advice to stick with the name brand companies that you know are going to be around for the long haul. Now don't everyone jump me saying that won't happen. I am not saying that it will at all. But it might be worth considering, is the point that I am trying to make.

User Info Menu

backtodrum- I hear you loud and clear; I've been thinking along the same lines as I evaluate my options. Although the Trick looks extremely durable and I haven't heard about any parts breaking on them (yet).
    Another option I have looked into is the Pearl Powershifter Eliminator, which comes in either belt or chain-driven models. They are getting pretty good reviews, seem to be VERY adjustable, and are about half the price of the others...
    And I don't think Pearl is going away anytime soon!

User Info Menu

I have heard great things about Pearl Eliminators, but have never tried them myself.