Thread: New Heads to buy

User Info Menu

Post New Heads to buy

Hi, I currently have an old practise kit with equally old heads which are very badly dented and generally smashed up. I want to buy some new ones but am a complete newby on heads and suchlike. Does anyone have any ideas? I play mostly metal and hardcore typed music so will need something fairly durable, low to moderately priced

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Heads to buy

well with no more information than you have given, for metal music I would choose a two ply head from any of the major drum head companies. if you want a fairly non resonant type head an aquarian performance II would fit the bill, they are fairly thick two ply heads so they don't have a lot of ring or sustain. you can work up from there. The two ply heads are fairly dent resistant and seem to be the preferred head for metal players.

sonor Guest

Hey man
    Check out the remo pinstrips!!

User Info Menu

i play remo pinstripes and they work great
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I would support Bactodrum's choice, but the Aquarian's make live performance really dull and often times you can barely hear. They are really good for studio work and practice sets, though I suggest if you don't own multiple sets to stick with a flexible head. The Remo Pinstripes are one top choice for metal and then there are the Emperors which I will probably be picking up soon, they are so far the best heads I've used in all settings from Evans G1, EC2, and Remo Weatherking.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I would support Bactodrum's choice, but the Aquarian's make live performance really dull and often times you can barely hear. They are really good for studio work and practice sets, though I suggest if you don't own multiple sets to stick with a flexible head. The Remo Pinstripes are one top choice for metal and then there are the Emperors which I will probably be picking up soon, they are so far the best heads I've used in all settings from Evans G1, EC2, and Remo Weatherking.
    I agree with 32'

Pinstripes never fail to work well. I've heard mixed things on the Aquarians, but have used several Evans series heads but for toms, I really prefer the Pinstripes.

Speaking of Evans, I might as well throw this in here, but if you find yourself wanting to replace your bass batter head, you should really check out the Evans EMAD 2 batter head. I love that thing with passion

Also, if you can, visit your local music store and check out the floor drum kits and test out the heads that are on them. You might find yourself mixing and matching, or getting each seperately, or even getting a package set. It's always best to test something for yourself because we all have different opinions and you should make your decision with the item that you are happy with and have tested

All the best,
    -AC
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Remo and Evans could be your option, mate....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guys. I thought i should add i have a premier (not sure of the model) 5 peice with 16" floor tom, 12 and 13" toms and a 14" snare. I dont think i will bother replacing the bass drum head.

User Info Menu

Also the heads on the bottom are also in bad condition. Would it give a different or better sound changing them as well?

User Info Menu

an old premier huh? you should find out what it is. it might be worth more than you'd expect. alot of good advice here. for metal, i would go with a clear 2ply of sorts. on a higher end kit...remo emporors or evans g2. on cheaper kit... the more dampened heads like evans ec2 and aquarian performance 2 heads can really make a lesser kit sound fairly good.

pinstripes are good too, they just remind me of the sound that i have really been trying to get away from for the last several years. i may have grown up in the 80s, but that dont mean i want to sound lilke it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Also the heads on the bottom are also in bad condition. Would it give a different or better sound changing them as well?
    yes, if they have been used and beaten up, new heads will be a DRAMATIC change. i would go with a singe ply clear like remo ambassadores or evans g1.

User Info Menu

i like coated heads they add more thump and less ring perfect for rock and metal
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters