Thread: Hi-Hat Search

User Info Menu

Default Hi-Hat Search

Hey everyone.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Zildjian Titanium ZXT's after about 4-5 years of use now

My first Hi-Hat's were Sabian B8's from one of there basic B8 packages that I got when I got my first kit. Man did they annoy the hell out of me

Then I got the Titaniums which have stood up for a while now and suprisingly, still keep a decent sound to them.

Though, I think it's time to put them aside or if anything, use them as a secondary pair of hi-hats on my kit.

Anyways, I'm looking at the 12" Zildjian A Series Special recording hats. I believe that they are the same one's used in This Youtube Video by Scott Davies. Not sure if that video was posted before, but I love his style and his playing is brilliant! Single pedal too!

Nonetheless, if anyone has any input on those, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if you have another hi-hat that you would reccomend please do post.

Videos/Sound Clips always help!

Thanks for your time.
    -AC
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-Hat Search

12" Hats ??

Since it was an A Zildjian...I think it'll sounds good....
    That Scott's used sounds cool.....

Why you don't go with 14" Mastersound A Custom hats ??
    I've played it...And it sounds awesome...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Cool vid. I never played them. I would definately try those out first though. They have a nice tight, focused sound as seen in the video, but that is in a studio setting(hence the name recording hats). Not sure how it would sound in a live setting, my guess it's not going to sound as big or full sounding. Try it out. As far as a recomendation, it's hard to go wrong with the Zildjian New Beats.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

ive got 14'' AAX stage hats and they sound incredible.

User Info Menu

I use the A custom mastersound 13" and Love em !! Had them a couple years now and like them better and better !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

12" hats seem awfully small for primary hats. I wonder if you will be happy long term with those? They seem like they would not carry very well unless miced up every gig. That would limit their use IMO. I had some 13" new beats years ago and the above reasons was why I traded them.

User Info Menu

i think 14" avedis newbeats are the perfect hats for almost any occasion. they blend really well with all the other zildjian lines. they are loud enuff to cut thru loud music but soft enuff to use in jazz. i just scored some used (70s i think) 13" and like BTD said they are a little week in the amped situations, but i mostly got them to play jazz. i will replace my primary 14" quickbeats with newbeats soon. the quickbeats sound good but dont seem as versitile for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i think 14" avedis newbeats are the perfect hats for almost any occasion. they blend really well with all the other zildjian lines. they are loud enuff to cut thru loud music but soft enuff to use in jazz. i just scored some used (70s i think) 13" and like BTD said they are a little week in the amped situations, but i mostly got them to play jazz. i will replace my primary 14" quickbeats with newbeats soon. the quickbeats sound good but dont seem as versitile for me.
    Funky, you and I have had this conversation before concerning the quickbeats. I have a set now as well and they are loud for jazz or quiter situations, but I have since bought some vintage 14" new beats that are siply beautiful in a quiter jazz situation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    ExCeLLent*Point Gracias

User Info Menu

I agree with the majority here, they seem a little small for primary use, and don't sound too good for live use.
    I'm a Piaste user, so from my point of view, you can get that same crisp, cutting sound with great performance in all settings with the 13" 2002 Sound Edge hats. I personally would go for the 14" since I like the darker sound, but the 13" are just high and crisp nough to work for jazz, rock, raeggae, whatever you may prefer.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hi-Hat Search

Steve Gadd Turned Me Onto Those 12" Zildjain Recording Hihats And I Love The Sound And Feel Like No Others Since My 1st Joy Of Being Able To Afford Zildjian Newbeat Hihats 40 Years Ago!!!! I Still Have Em
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hi-Hat Search

Steve Gadd Turned Me Onto Those 12" Zildjain Recording Hihats And I Love The Sound And Feel Like No Others Since My 1st Joy Of Being Able To Afford Zildjian Newbeat Hihats 40 Years Ago!!!! I Still Have Em.....MAY NEED MICS IN LOUDER SITUATIONS THUS THE NAME "RECORDING" HIHATS,,,,,PAISTE WILL BE BRIGHTER(LOUDER?) EVEN K CUSTOMS OR MASTERSOUNDS MAY DESERVE ALISTEN....REMEMBER TO STEP AWAY AND LISTEN WHILE SOMEONE ELSE PLAYS EM.....THAT WAY YA DONT FREAK OUT WHEN YA GET EM HOME
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Wow thanks all for your replies and comments!

One main reason why I liked them was because I've heard they were great for studio sessions, Which is what I will mainly be using them for.

But for sure, I will check out everything you all reccomended and see what sound I like best.

Thanks all!
    Cheers.
    -AC
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Don't expect to play rock with 12" hi hats.....

12" hi hats are cool but in a very limited number of applications.

if your looking to upgrade your PRIMARY hi hats, I wouldn't suggest a niche size like 12"
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

if hes recording i say go for it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I agree with the majority here, they seem a little small for primary use, and don't sound too good for live use.
    I'm a Piaste user, so from my point of view, you can get that same crisp, cutting sound with great performance in all settings with the 13" 2002 Sound Edge hats. I personally would go for the 14" since I like the darker sound, but the 13" are just high and crisp nough to work for jazz, rock, raeggae, whatever you may prefer.
    Paiste's are sweet. If you can afford it, check out the Signatures. Some of best hats you will hear. 2002's rock too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrock View Post
    Paiste's are sweet. If you can afford it, check out the Signatures. Some of best hats you will hear. 2002's rock too.
    I use the Signature Reflector line in all my cymbals, IMO the best I've ever heard, but you definitely have to sacrifice some green for it. It sounds to me like he's looking for more of a budget type of deal where you get more bang for your buck, that's the only reason I suggested the 2002's... Any other time I would swear by Sigs since they're the greatest
    I like the way you think, jrock.

User Info Menu

While we are on the subject, I have a question for the Zildjian Matersound and Paistie Soundedge users (or any other brand that has the rippled bottom hi hat). As great as these hi hats sound, when trying these out, I couldn't get that nice tight chick sound I like to have once in a awhile without having to press down really hard on the pedal. Do these cymbals eventually break in over time so it is not so hard to achieve this?

User Info Menu

Well the whole purpose of the Sound Edge or Mastersound is to eliminate that air-lock sound, which is what some drummers prefer. They do make a nice fulfiliing chick once you get them home and setup.