Thread: Which bass drum pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Which bass drum pedal?

Hi,

I've taken up playing the drums at age 58 and I find that my right ankle and knee is aching when I play using the bass drum pedal that came with my kit.

Can anyone recommend a pedal that will be easy on the joints? Price is no object, as my health comes first.

Thanks,

Paul.

---------
    More on bass drum pedals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which bass drum pedal?

First off, while it may be the pedal, I'd also check out the way you're playing. And I also hate to say it, but even though I know very little about it, I would come to think in my ignorant self that age plays a small part in this, but I'm probably wrong. If you are looking for a pedal that is easy on the joints, I'd suggest direct drive, Axis, Trick even old Lugwid Speed Kings.

User Info Menu

are you playing with your heel up? if not try it like that to see if the pain goes away. you could also move further away from your seat so that the joints arent strained while you work them. you could also try and move the beater a little closer to the head so it required less work. if none of these work, i would go with roger's suggestion and get a very smooth and easy pedal.

also welcome to the forum! im sure you will love it here and it is never too late to start playing drums

User Info Menu

after reading the above comments the only thing i could add to that is don't be afraid to play around with the spring tention on the pedal, and also the length the beater is at. perhaps this could help?
    i personaly find it easier when i'm further away from the pedal as opposite to on top of it, .. oh yes another thing i would certainly experiment with is the hight you have your stool at.. this can effect the way you naturally play the pedal, through my own experience personally i find sitting high is all round better to go even though it felt uncomfortable at first
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Pauldrums is right. Take a look at the tension of the spring(s) on the pedal, and see if you can get a smoother/quicker response which could help.

The distance from your seat to your pedal could also affect the ankle. Make sure your feet aren't strecthing at all to get to the pedal and keep a nice angle from the knee to the foot (ideally 90 degrees.)

As far as pedals go, I think one of the ideal one's is the Axis pedals. But if you can, go to your local music store, and see the line up of pedals that they have. Remember that the tension can also affect the response of the pedal, but find one that is comforatable for you.

All the best,
    -AC
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Dunplaying, I am coming to drumming at a more advanced age (52). I've been playing for about a year now, and it really took a lot of adjustments in the past year to find the right pedal tension, the right throne position in relation to the kit, and the height of the throne. All of these factors can potentially place excessive stress on the joints of the legs, so I am in complete agreement with Pauldrums. Before you spend the money on new pedals, try to find different positions, and consider easing the tension on the pedal to see if it helps. If not, you can always go check out new pedals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

knees should be just open of 90degrees...... straight back..... nice technique could help :>

Sometimes not always what your playing on but how your playing..

Also is it some type of athritic pain? Maybe invest in some arthritus preventions things... iplayed with a copper bracelet for a while. That was helping my write till it strengthened again.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Soreness would be an issue if you were 18 if your new to playing. eventually you will want a better pedal than the stock. DW's pedals and Tama's Iron Cobra have served me well over the years. I like a strap drive but most guys like the chain drive.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Hey folks just like to say i no longer sit high on my seat at first it felt good like i was faster with my bass drum but now i find i have more balance sat with my thighs just above a 90degree angle! thanks to a dave weckl dvd
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Hey Pauldrums! It's good to see you again! Glad to hear you found a comfortable position. Now just settle in around here, and let us know how things are going with you. Hope all is well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'd think a strap drive would be softer on the joints...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

do the straps have some elasticity to them?
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Dun, it's natural to feel some muscle ache no matter how old you are when you start drumming. It's not a natural thing, so your muscles need time to adjust. But it would also help if you told us what type of pedal you're using now - brand and style, like single chain, double chain, strap.....and whether you're playing heel up or down. All of these things can suggest different types of adjustments for you.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'd suggest direct drive, Axis, Trick even old Lugwid Speed Kings.
    Yes definatley a direct drive would be a benefit.

Try yamaha flying dragons, gibraltar makes direct drives.

Or a strap drive is a very smooth way.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i have a pedal thats heavy on my foot, no pain or anything just harder to get fast beats going, i went back to a premier 1980's really battered loose pedal that was lovley, i just got a second hand dw7000 double pedal, maybe try a used worn in pedal??
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

He has the problem fixed, good old Dave weckle did it for him. Ill tell him you said thx.

Official cowbell hater.