Thread: Cracking cymbals help??

User Info Menu

Default Cracking cymbals help??

I been playing a few years now and my 16" crash has started to crack. i drilled a very small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from going further as advised by a friend, but it just continues i now have a long crack about 2in's in with 2 small holes along it.. i've seen and heard it's better to cut it out all together, Now here is my question how do you cut it out meaning what tools do you uses? has anyone done this yet? or does anyone have other suggetions? and what type of shape do you cut it like too?
    i've seen oval type shapes and half moon type shapes?
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cracking cymbals help??

I think we have one thread for solving this problem here....
    Try to search it Paul....

I remember....That thread even including a picture....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I would say the cymbal is shot. You can cut out the crack but it will drastically change the sound and IMO the look of the cymbal. If I were you I would just start saving up to replace it, so play it with a crack until you can buy a new one.

User Info Menu

I agree with BTD (he has more experience than me, so that's really a no brainer). The bow of the cymbal is thicker than the edge, so once you start cutting down the cymbal, it will change the way it plays. You could take a nice cymbal and turn it into something that sounds really cheap. Save up for a new one, and while you're doing it, check your technique. Cracking a cymbal could happen because you hit it too hard in the wrong way. Glancing blows can save your cymbals. This might not be the problem for you, but if it is, you will save the next cymbal that comes along.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My 18" crash has had a small crack for so long I can't remember when. Never increased in size either so, I've left it alone. But, for those needing to cut the cymbal, I would recommend using a Dremel tool. You can drill and cut with it without destroying the cymbal. If the crack is in a single line, you will want to flare your cut so that you don't take a huge chunk out of the cymbal. If you're going to trash the cymbal then why not experiment with is and cut out some pieces to make an Effect cymbal?

User Info Menu

I have a VHS of Bill Stewart performing with a fairly substantial piece of a ride cymbal missing...and there seemed to be no lack of a great sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If it was quite a cheap cymbal or one i didnt care about at all i would be tempted to just cut out some random shape and see what it sounds like. Might invent something new and unique. But if you love your cymbal i dont think i would recommend it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I have a VHS of Bill Stewart performing with a fairly substantial piece of a ride cymbal missing...and there seemed to be no lack of a great sound.

all the best...
    Generally you can get away with that on a ride because rides are usually thick. crashes are much thinner which makes them much more prone to sound erratic when pieces are cut out of them.