Thread: Heel-Toe method

User Info Menu

Default Heel-Toe method

I have been trying to post this for a day now, keep getting "invalid thread specified" message, so I am trying again.
    I am trying to learn the heel toe method on the bass pedal for improved speed. My problem seems to be my size 13's. All the you tube videos I see on this, people seem to have about size 8 feet! Can anyone out there, who has large feet, do this? If so, how and with what pedal?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel-Toe method

Only people with shoe size 12 and smaller can play the bass drum pedal. You may want to just quit drums and take up the violin.

User Info Menu

Seriously... they make pedals with longer foot boards. I know Axis makes one. Not sure who else. Also, there is more than one approach to gaining speed on the pedal. You don't need heel-toe to gain speed.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Heel-Toe method

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Seriously... they make pedals with longer foot boards. I know Axis makes one. Not sure who else. Also, there is more than one approach to gaining speed on the pedal. You don't need heel-toe to gain speed.
    HOLA como estas *DRUMMER (TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) &THATS A FACT **EXCELLENT **GRACIAS'

User Info Menu

higher market kits have a moveable foot board.... this may accomadate larger feet i am unsure?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Only people with shoe size 12 and smaller can play the bass drum pedal. You may want to just quit drums and take up the violin.
    I tried playing the violin, it did not respond well to my sticks!

User Info Menu

I Have Size 13. It Just Takes Practice. I Learned With A Worn Out Pair Of Shoes With Slick Treads This Will Help. Also Siting Farther Back On The Throne Will Help By Taking Some Of The Weight Of Your Leg Off Of Your Toes

Sorry Im A Terrrrrrrable Speller And My Spell Check Dosnt Work
    THE CONCEPT OF SELF SCERINITY ELUDES ME

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cacojog View Post
    Is it tuned correctly?

User Info Menu

Ok, despite the sillyness that seems to have infected this thread - there are a couple of actual answers here for you.

Yes there is longer boards - the most common and popular of which is the Axis Longboard (i don't actually think any other brands make these as yet - probably a patent on them or something). Additionally, there is a youtube video that shows a way to "modify" your pedal to be longer.

Like drummer noted though, there is also other techniques for speed beyond heel-toe - not the least of which is just working an straight kicking enough to build up to the speed you want. If you've only got a single kick pedal, perhaps you might be able to implement the foot-slide technique. Youtube has some great videos showing just how good this can be ona single pedal - some of the guys who use it sound like they are blasting away on double pedals.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks! Most of my drumming is in worship so I don't really need speed. It's just something I have always wanted to work on for myself.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Heel-Toe method

Good one, Cacojog!

Seriously, you may try adjusting both your throne and your distance from the kit to make it easier for you to get the best angle for your feet...

although crazyman is spot on with his suggestions!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have been trying to post this for a day now, keep getting "invalid thread specified" message, so I am trying again.
    I am trying to learn the heel toe method on the bass pedal for improved speed. My problem seems to be my size 13's. All the you tube videos I see on this, people seem to have about size 8 feet! Can anyone out there, who has large feet, do this? If so, how and with what pedal?
    Thanks!
    I agree your feet are to big give it up! seriously you will just have to adjust to compensate for you foot size and woodshed it until you get it. I would think that you still could perfect the technique no matter what size feet you have. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I agree your feet are to big give it up! seriously you will just have to adjust to compensate for you foot size and woodshed it until you get it. I would think that you still could perfect the technique no matter what size feet you have. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
    HOLA Como ESTAS' BACKTODRUM *ARTISTIC CREATIVE ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) THATS EXCELLENT ADVICE * GRACIAS