Thread: New Heads for a SwingStar?

User Info Menu

Default New Heads for a SwingStar?

I have a Tama Swingstar set....my first set by the way as I'm a pretty new drummer. Anyway it currently has Tama brand Heads. Being that I'm new I can't really tell if these are whats making my toms sound not that great or if its something else. Would a new quality set of heads make a big difference in my tom sounds? I've attempted to retune them (to the best of my ability) but they still seem to have this very annoying ringing sound and the sounds seem very "dry" to me if that makes any sense.

Also, if i do get new heads would you guys recommend coated or clear for the toms?

My tama snare sounds ok for now i guess, although that thing rattles when any of my drums are hit, which I've heard is a common problem.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Heads for a SwingStar?

Hello Dans....
    I think you won't regret if you change yours with REMO Ambassador....

I agree with you, TAMA snare comes with 'nice enough' quality...So you don't have to change it...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I've heard with sets of not the best quality, a muffled type head is the way to go. Any truth to this?

User Info Menu

Sometimes that is true, But not always. On the Internet you can Goggle The drum tunning bible. If I were you I would first try tunning the kit properly before I went out an spent a bunch of money on heads. The site I referenced will help you get acquainted with how to tune a drum the right way. If you learn how to tune the right way you won't always be second guessing yourself about is the heads or my tunning.

User Info Menu

i use clear pinstripes
    they can be tuned very low without choking
    and it sounds like your looking for a lower amount of ring
    give a pinstripe a try
    go buy one and throw it on the kit
    if you like it
    then finish the set out
    this way is alot cheaper than swapping out all the heads to find out you dont like them
    (voice of experience there)
    good luck buddy
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I would suggest either coated Remo Ambassadors or coated Evans G1's, both single ply, as a starting point. They will cut some overtones and warm up the sound just a little bit as opposed to clear heads, but still let the toms open up. The nice thing about single ply heads is that if you decide you need more muffling, you can put on some muffling rings, Moongel, ect. and if you decide thats not your sound you can always go back. With those double ply pre-muffled heads, your more limited soundwise. Not that they don't sound good, I use to use and like Remo Pintripes.
    Last edited by jrock; 02-29-2008 at 01:49 AM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

For The Sake Of Debate....i Always Hear That "plastic Attack" On A Clear Drumhead(evans G1s/g2s)so I'm Partial To A Coated Head Little Smoother Attack Like Aquarian "coated Super 2's" Or Remo Emporers....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that the Rockstar kit that I do not own but rehearse on, sounds the best to me with coated ambassadors. they seem to warm up the drums a little but don't choke them. Really single ply heads sound the best to me on those drums.

User Info Menu

Dan, I agree with BTD. Check out the Drum Tuning Bible (and any other site that you can find that offers tuning tips), and read through the threads in here that offer tuning advise. I've only been drumming for just under a year now, but by reading everything I could on tuning, and reading the tuning advise here at Drum Chat, I got fairly good at tuning my drums. I have also continued to learn about tuning, and I have come to realize how much I still don't know! Because tuning is an art, and not a "by the numbers" kind of thing it will just take time to get better, just like everything else you learn about drumming.

My advise is to learn tuning on the current heads. Learn how to make them the very best that they can sound (I'm sure that you can make them sound better than they do right now). Also take the time to understand what the different heads willl do for the sound of the kit. If you take the time now, you won't regret it when you do move on to a better head, because you will understand what sound you are really looking for on your kit, and you will know how to make any head sound the best that it can sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have always liked the thud of a two ply head like a pinstripe. This is primarily because I just can't seem to get into tuning to lazy don't care just want to play. However a nicely tuned single ply head has so much more "action" when playing it that I think I am a better player. A low tuned two ply head sinks your stick and you end up picking the stick up instead of utilizing the energy of the stick bouncing off the head. If you ever look at a drum corps snare head they are cranked down till they feel like they will explode. You get a ton of action off a drum like that. Some of the evans single ply heads G2 are pretty good. Check out this link for more info as to what is right for you.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13
    Last edited by pditty; 02-29-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Dan, I agree with BTD. Check out the Drum Tuning Bible (and any other site that you can find that offers tuning tips), and read through the threads in here that offer tuning advise. I've only been drumming for just under a year now, but by reading everything I could on tuning, and reading the tuning advise here at Drum Chat, I got fairly good at tuning my drums. I have also continued to learn about tuning, and I have come to realize how much I still don't know! Because tuning is an art, and not a "by the numbers" kind of thing it will just take time to get better, just like everything else you learn about drumming.

My advise is to learn tuning on the current heads. Learn how to make them the very best that they can sound (I'm sure that you can make them sound better than they do right now). Also take the time to understand what the different heads willl do for the sound of the kit. If you take the time now, you won't regret it when you do move on to a better head, because you will understand what sound you are really looking for on your kit, and you will know how to make any head sound the best that it can sound.
    I also agree that you should check out this link. Poorly tuned drums are going to sound poor whether you have good heads or not, and the understanding of the different types of drumheads and how it will effect your sound. Its all explained at the drum tuning bible and it's a great guide. But quality heads are still a big improvement over the stock heads that usually comes with these kits. You just want to replace the batter heads, the resonant heads(bottom heads) will be fine. Remo and Evans are probably the two most popular brand of drumheads, then tune your drums up the best you can and you'll have yourself some great sounding drums.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    i use clear pinstripes
    they can be tuned very low without choking
    and it sounds like your looking for a lower amount of ring
    give a pinstripe a try
    go buy one and throw it on the kit
    if you like it
    then finish the set out
    this way is alot cheaper than swapping out all the heads to find out you dont like them
    (voice of experience there)
    good luck buddy
    Exactly right. That ringing sound from the toms drives me absolutely nuts. I listen to other people play and love that nice punchy sound. The other thing making me crazy is the snare rattle. Seen some advise (not sure if was here or not) and someone suggested a piece of duct tape on the snare head. I have noticed that if I hit the snare with something resting on the head it sounds much crisper and snappier with no rattle. Anyone try this or is this just a tuning issue as well. Will a properly tuned snare still have that snare rattle? And I'm hearing that rattle when any drum is hit.

User Info Menu

Dan the problem with the snare rattle would appear to be a tuning issue. If the snare rattles whenever any drum is played, then they are in harmonics with each other, and you will have to adjust the tuning to correct that. Keep in mind though, you may never completely eliminate it, as there are other factors such as the snare beds.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Dan the problem with the snare rattle would appear to be a tuning issue. If the snare rattles whenever any drum is played, then they are in harmonics with each other, and you will have to adjust the tuning to correct that. Keep in mind though, you may never completely eliminate it, as there are other factors such as the snare beds.
    Dude you sure your new to druming? Great reply Pastor. Spot on with the harmonics. Keep tinkering to find a pitch your happy with and does not have the harmonics issue.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Pditty, I have learned a lot from my good friends here at Drum Chat. I count myself very fortunate to have found such a great place! It has helped me a lot with many issues over the past year.