Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch Renown Maple

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Renown Maple

here we are

HBdrummer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HBdrummer View Post
    If you can afford 'em GET EM!!! Im sold on Gretsch..and I own a Catalina jazz! I'm debating a Catalina Maple or one of these..

[IMG][/IMG]
    It's a Lacquer!!!! Deep Inca gold sparkle lacquer to be exact! I can get these for 1200.00... My guitarist works for a Gretsch dealer! HB

User Info Menu

oh my gosh thats a laquer? wow thats cool

User Info Menu

That would certainly be beautiful HB, and I know how it would sound!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here the set I had before I sold it.

These are the Maple Renowns. And they sounded good with the Remo pinstripes.

However, they sounded best with Remo Coated Ambassadors. Ah, but that's just my experienced opinion. Not just research.

I liked the ddrums better.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit Bish! Is that a jam block by the hi-hat?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

wow those are beautiful bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Beautiful kit Bish! Is that a jam block by the hi-hat?
    You are going to hate my response.

To your left of the hats is a cowbell. To the right is a computer chair.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I recognized the cowbell. I just didn't recognize the computer chair!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I recognized the cowbell. I just didn't recognize the computer chair!!!
    Ok, I'll give you that. I figure the bass drum beater resting on the seat may have thrown you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful set, Bish. I think what PB may have been referring to is the extension of the rack...it does like like a jam block as it extends to the right of the hats in the photo.

User Info Menu

Nah, I have to be honest here and say that I really was looking at the cowbell to the left of the hi-hats in the picture. I saw the yellow, and thought it might be a jam block with some specialized holder. Once Bish said it was a cowbell, I recognized it. I'm thinking I'll just blame it on my bifocals if anyone will buy that one! Otherwise I'm just exposing myself as a young drummer (hey, I like the sound of that!). I my be 52, but I'm only 1 in drummer years!!!

User Info Menu

Well, it is one big honkin' cowbell.

And my camera is old....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You should not even think about buy a Renown Maple.
    Just buy it!
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

User Info Menu

alright great news on this. I GOT A JOB. my dream of getting this kit is coming together

User Info Menu

congrats on the job CC.

nice kit bish...
    hope your liking the pearl!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Thanks, koopa.

Diggin' the Pearls. ... so far... but haven't had a lot of time to play them. I'll have to clean them soon if this playing drought keeps up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

coke_can i recommend getting the cherry burst because it looks amazing and its natural, the blue finish is kinda cheesy to me. i'm getting the cherry burst myself in a few weeks.

User Info Menu

Hello:

I just picked my set of these yesterday - Cherry Burst, and they look and sound awesome! I had previously picked up the Catalina Club Jazz kit for practice, and I was so impressed that I wanted a Gretsch for my full-size kit. (The cute little 18" Bass drum KICKS!) Guitar Center had several makes of kits (TAMA, Pearl, DW, Gretsch) set up in their showroom, and the Gretsches clearly had the best sound. One thing about Gretsches: On my old TAMA kit, I had to really hit the drums to get a decent sound, while barely tapping the Gretsches produces a pure tone. No wonder the jazz guys chose Gretsch!

If any of you can recommend anything on better tuning these beauties, it would be appreciated. I went with Drum Dial settings of about 73-74 on the toms, and 70 on the 14" FT. That was perfect on the Floor Tom and the 12" tom. The 8" and 10" are delivering a lot of overtone, ring, and resonance at those tensions without a solid fundamental tone. (This can even be heard over the band.) I know it's just a matter of getting the tuning tweaked, and getting the heads broken in. Also, what's a good DD setting on the kick? I think I've got it tuned a little too high right now. If not a DD setting, anyone have a note to tune to on these?

User Info Menu

thanks for the review Meowman. i definitely want to get these. how much did you take them for?

User Info Menu

About $1300 @ GC.

I'm gonna spend a couple hours trying to tune them today and see what kind of sound I can get. I'll post Drum Dial settings if I come up with any.

User Info Menu

I tried a lot of different heads on my Renowns....To my ear, I found the coated Ambassadors had the best overall tone and I stayed with the factory reso's. They were tuned fairly tight, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm liking coated heads more and more (used one on my old kit); but I think the G1's sound good on these drums as well.

Okay, I spent a couple undistracted hours today tweaking the tuning on these Gretsch Renowns. I achieved an awesome sound fairly quickly with the Drum Dial. (Yes, they are worth the investment - even if you are experienced at tuning.) I got a good sound with good fundamental tone, a big attack sound, lots of ring and overtones (You need these to sound good and full above the other instruments), and lots of resonance.

These Drum Dial settings might change some as the heads get broken in, but it's a good start:

Bass Drum: Batter side: 72, Reso side: 75, I used neither foam muffle ring, but that might change when I mike.

8" tom: 73 / 73

10" tom: 72 / 72

12" tom: 70/70

14" Flr tom: Batter side: 69 (Just above wrinkle) Reso side: 75

Snare: Batter: 90 Snare side: 80

Hope this helps somebody else who purchases this kit to get up and running.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. BigMeow!

User Info Menu

Is it possible that those settings may change from room to room and different environments?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate