Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch Renown Maple

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Renown Maple

i have been looking at this set a lot lately and it looks really nice. i have heard great reviews on it from the websites they sell them from. i especially like the blue burst finish. maybe after working this summer some, i can get enough money to buy this set. is this set worth the money? how does it compare to the catalina? just tell me everything you know about this set!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Renown Maple

I'm in the same boat as you. It looks like a good set and all the reviews say it is soooo...looks good to me.

User Info Menu

from what i know, it is a pro level, limited option kit. mass produced overseas to gretsch usa specs. a step up from the catalina. great sounding kits for sure. comparable to the starclassic performer and new pearl master mcx.

User Info Menu

what does limited option mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    what does limited option mean?
    Three kit configurations and five finish choices. I played one a couple months back at a Guitar Center and it sounded awesome.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

ideally, i would like a 10x8 12x9 14x14 and 16x16, but since the 16x16 doesnt come with it, its probly a pain to order. but anyways it is my current dream kit, because it is somewhat affordable. and i love the blue burst and cherry burst

User Info Menu

The renowns are beautiful kits, you can't go wrong with Gretch drums!

User Info Menu

i just want to hear what people have heard about these kits in general, and if they are worth the money

User Info Menu

CC, they are definitely a step up from the Catalinas. I do have to say that my only real complain with Gretsch is the limited finishes and configurations. I would appreciate more options for the Renowns, but then I am also not willing to pay Gretsch USA Custom drum prices, and that's where the options are! I am very fortunate that I happen to love the color of the finish on my Catalina kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hello

Thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in here since I bought a Gretsch Renown (not the maple - I bought African Mahogany) recently.

When I was looking around I sat behind a Gretsch Renown Maple kit and was wowed by not only the finish but by what looked like great quality and they sounded really good too. Cindy Balckman had recently played these very drums in a clinic at that drum store a few months earlier.

I only bought the Mahogany shellpack over the Maples because I thought it would be nice to own one of the limited 60 shellpacks built in that configuration.

I don't think you'll go wrong buying the Renown drums - they have a very good reputation from what I've read.

Check out my shellpack right out-a-the-box last August. The finish is UV GLOSS and they're very pretty to look at!

I would think the Renown Maple and Renown African Mahogany are the same as quality goes. If you decide to to buy your Blue Burst Renown Maple drums you'll be very happy I'm sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kona; 03-04-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo!
    Gary

User Info Menu

they look nice man. good buy specially if there are only 60.... resale in a decade or two would be huge :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gretsch Renown Maple

coke_can, if kona's set is any indication, I don't think you'd go wrong with that kit!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Kona wow those are out of this world. That finish looks wet its got such a great shine. Amazing
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Kona, undoubtedly the reason for the 60 shell pack run is the limited availability of African mahogany. You just might have purchased a highly collectible kit in the future. I would think long and hard before you sell that kit should you be considering it in the future, because as that wood becomes more and more scarce those drum will become more and more coveted. that is my two cents on the subject. Also they are beautiful to look at!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Kona, undoubtedly the reason for the 60 shell pack run is the limited availability of African mahogany. You just might have purchased a highly collectible kit in the future. I would think long and hard before you sell that kit should you be considering it in the future, because as that wood becomes more and more scarce those drum will become more and more coveted. that is my two cents on the subject. Also they are beautiful to look at!
    Thanks, and thanks for the nice comments everyone -ya, I'm really happy with these drums.

It's hard to say if they will be valuble in the future. My experience has been "DON'T SELL GOOD QUALITY DRUMS!" And, if anyones interested I can start a new thread on that subject.

Some advice to coke_can regarding the finish:
    You may know this already but the Gloss finishes are not as "hardy" as the wrap finishes. You have to be careful they will damage if they get bumped around. In my case, these drums are not going anywhere, they're staying in the "drum room." It's something you may want to consider if you're going to be packing them up and down on a regular basis. Just some advice from someone that has been there.

On the other hand, if you're very careful with your drums (and make sure everyone else is too) a gloss finish is a great choice.

ps
    I changed my signature photo today if anyone's interested. It's like "Where's Waldo." I moved my cymbal tree, mid top photo, it's a China & Zilbell on a 20" Istanbul Agop Traditional Ride.

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

That is a great price for the shellpack especially with the free 8x7 tom!

I paid $2450 for my 6pc shellpack (in Canadian dollars when our dollar was a little lower than the usd last year) and I was very happy with that (MSRP for my drums was $3,000 USD).

If you do buy those drums you will be very happy! Make sure to take lots of good photos of before-outa-the-box and as you unpack each baby - lol. It's nice to have those pix. Most of us don't buy new drums very often and it's a special investment - lots of fun.

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

i really want to buy these, but as a 16 year old, its practically impossible. absolutely no time for a job, and i have to pay for gas. ive got some money saved up, but that could maybe buy half of this set. ill have to wait until after this summer.

User Info Menu

It's always good to have a goal though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

so i went and tried this set out at guitar center today and it was AWESOME, better than everything i expected and i want it so badly, just dont have the money

User Info Menu

these drum sets are a total winner. I absolutely love the way they sound. I still recommend buying one used off of ebay or craigslist though. Screw full retail price on any kit.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

I can't beleive this is my first time seeing this thread lol. I'm pretty much a Gretsch enthusiast at this point. It amazes me to think of how my own logic on drums has become more vast then I could have imagined in only a year and a few months. When my mom first bought me this set, I figured in my noob stuper that Gretsch and Paiste were two completely unheard of brands. Well, of course, I was wrong lol. On the topic of goals... Right now I have two containers on my desk with labels "Paiste Reflector 17" Full Crash" and "Gretsch Renown Maple". Last time I checked, the Paiste jar had about $16 in it since I just recently purchased my other ride and the Gretsch jar has probably $2.60 lol. Yea, I have a ways to go, but trust me this summer is going to hold alot of business opportunities for me and I hope to bump that amount up a decent bit for both.
    I played the Renown once in Guitar Center, it was used. I think the sound was more beautiful then I could have imagined coming out of a drum. Plus it was one of the only kits respected by GC enough to have been tuned before it was put on display. Love it. Want it. Gonna get it.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

same what color do you want, i think the autumn burst looks a little tropical and jungly i dont really like it that much, i also like the cherry burst it looks so classy, but i think i want the blue burst. it looks sick and it is beastly. they had the set in pieces on the ground and i nearly cried. i asked them to set it up and i started playing and they made me get off because i wet myself. extreme overexaggeration but it was awesome

User Info Menu

Lol, nice.
    I think I dig the Cherry Burst over the others simply because red is my favorite color. If I didn't have that choice though, I would definitely go with Autumn Burst since it looks so bronzy and would match my cymbals.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

HBdrummer Guest

If you can afford 'em GET EM!!! Im sold on Gretsch..and I own a Catalina jazz! I'm debating a Catalina Maple or one of these..

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

man that is nice, im not a big fan of wraps besides a marine pearl wrap, i usually like the lacquer or gloss finishes. i still dont know if would go blue burst or cherry burst on the renown