Thread: Really Expire Revive

User Info Menu

Default Really Expire Revive

I don't know what's up with that other thread but I can't seem to edit it and put in a link and I can't even see my original post. So disregard the other thread.

Anyway, this is a link to my band. Listen to Breaker, Breaker and tell me what you think. It's like a home recording we did in a basement with a digital recorder in 3 hours but for being so raw I think it sounds pretty good. Don't even listen to the Unfortunate Title, it's our first song and the we had mic latency issues so the timing is off the whole song. We should get into the studio this summer and get some more new material and some MUCH better recordings.

http://www.myspace.com/expirerevive/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Really Expire Revive

I've never had problems gettin people to respond to things on this site. Has anyone listened to this at all?

User Info Menu

yeah you guys are pretty good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    yeah you guys are pretty good
    Thanks dude. Hopefully we'll get some new stuff up soon.

User Info Menu

LL4L, it's probably not my thing, but I thought it was pretty good all in all. I thought the drumming was very good! Good luck with everything!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Really Expire Revive

Hey, LL4L--

From what I hear, "Breaker Breaker" sounds pretty good for a first-time basement recording...could definitely use a little cleaning up, as you suggested.

Loved the bongo work, dude...don't hear too many Christian rock tunes with bongos as out front as yours...(in fact, I just jammed on it with my congas, and I loved it!)

I play bongos and congas in my church's guitar group, so again, with a little cleaning up, you're gonna have a killer tune for us church drummers to enjoy!

Good job, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

Shazane Guest

I really like The Unfortunate Title, it reminds me of Third Eye Blind, and I was a huge fan of their style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    LL4L, it's probably not my thing, but I thought it was pretty good all in all. I thought the drumming was very good! Good luck with everything!
    Thanks, I appreciate that someone finally listened with attention to the drumming. I haven't had it critiqued by many actual drummers so no one really listened close enough to hear much. To me personally it seems like there's some phrasing issues in just the simple 1&23&4 in both bridges and then again particularly in the first chorus. I don't know if I just got careless or what but it bothers me every time I hear it. And I laid down the drum track first and without a met and it stayed pretty steady till the outro which sped up and that kinda bothers me. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the drumming.

As for everyone else's comments, I'm surprised that someone liked the Unfortunate Title, but happy nonetheless. It's literally the first song we ever wrote. I like our new stuff so much better. I'm glad someone likes it though.

And I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is, but there were no bongos in this song. Sorry. Where did you think you heard them and I'll see if I can't figure out what it was? That's not a bad idea though. I've been thinking of some stuff with a little more unorthodox instrumentation; I've got a piece with kind of a funk feel, I want to do something with a mandolin and probably some hand drums like u said, and at some point a harp. I don't know, I just love the sound or a harp and I can hear it creating a cool atmosphere for a different type song. I think it'd be cool idea to experiment with like a battery section too.

User Info Menu

You had me fooled, then, LL4L...

There was kind of a knock, knock, knock that sounded like someone was playing mainly the macho (small bongo) with his thumb tightening the head almost from the start of "Breaker, Breaker." I thought it was kind of odd because it sounded like there was almost no sound from the hembra (large bongo), nor were there any rolls...

On second thought, could you have had something that knocked or rattled during the recording or mixdown of that song? I didn't hear it on "The Unfortunate Title."

Even so, I liked the way they both sounded, and with a little work, you'll have "Breaker Breaker" to the point where you can add real percussion! I may be responsible for the sudden upsurge of conga and bongo players among Christian drummers in DrumChat, but I love playin' the hand drums and, IMHO, they create a distinctive sound you can't always get from the kit...

I love the sound of the harp, too (presuming you mean string harp, although I dig a well-played harmonica--the other "harp" of course!), so I'd love to hear what you can do with it...

Hope to hear more from your band soon, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    You had me fooled, then, LL4L...

There was kind of a knock, knock, knock that sounded like someone was playing mainly the macho (small bongo) with his thumb tightening the head almost from the start of "Breaker, Breaker." I thought it was kind of odd because it sounded like there was almost no sound from the hembra (large bongo), nor were there any rolls...

On second thought, could you have had something that knocked or rattled during the recording or mixdown of that song? I didn't hear it on "The Unfortunate Title."

Even so, I liked the way they both sounded, and with a little work, you'll have "Breaker Breaker" to the point where you can add real percussion! I may be responsible for the sudden upsurge of conga and bongo players among Christian drummers in DrumChat, but I love playin' the hand drums and, IMHO, they create a distinctive sound you can't always get from the kit...

I love the sound of the harp, too (presuming you mean string harp, although I dig a well-played harmonica--the other "harp" of course!), so I'd love to hear what you can do with it...

Hope to hear more from your band soon, bro'!
    I'm not sure. It's definitely not a quality rec so alot of stuff sounds weird. I guess it could be any number of things. And yes I did mean string harp. I don't know where we'd get an actual harp or harp player and I'd rather not settle for a synthesized one but we'll see. I love hand drums, too. I'm particular to the D'jembe. Sometimes we play some acoustic jams and I'll play a dumbek.

User Info Menu

LL4L, I think we're already bongo brothers!

I have a wooden African djembe which I love to play alone or in conjunction with bongos and congas; you already know you can get some cool effects out of them! Our church's guitar group does a Palm Sunday procession each year in which I use either a djembe or doumbek to provide the tempo as we march into the sanctuary. It has the sound which I imagine would have been used during Jesus' actual triumphal entry...

In fact, my hand drums are the only percussion we use in the group. We could use a kit, but the leader and I both agree the hand drums add a distinctive sound to the group that a kit can't. (As you can guess, given the choice between drum kit and hand drums, I'll always take the hand drums!)

I take it your group plays Christian, alternative and show tunes...interesting combination there, man! Sounds like there's a possibility of crossover among all three!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    LL4L, I think we're already bongo brothers!

I have a wooden African djembe which I love to play alone or in conjunction with bongos and congas; you already know you can get some cool effects out of them! Our church's guitar group does a Palm Sunday procession each year in which I use either a djembe or doumbek to provide the tempo as we march into the sanctuary. It has the sound which I imagine would have been used during Jesus' actual triumphal entry...

In fact, my hand drums are the only percussion we use in the group. We could use a kit, but the leader and I both agree the hand drums add a distinctive sound to the group that a kit can't. (As you can guess, given the choice between drum kit and hand drums, I'll always take the hand drums!)

I take it your group plays Christian, alternative and show tunes...interesting combination there, man! Sounds like there's a possibility of crossover among all three!
    Lol, the showtunes part was a joke. If you wanted to get super genre specific it's closest to christian melodicore, but no one seems to know what that means. Basically it's just what it sounds like, mostly melodic alternative but with the occasional hit or breakdown of hardcore. I find it pretty difficult to find another band to compare us to, which I suppose is a good thing, but the closest I can come is Emery. We try our best to avoid emulating any one style or group and just take our influences and what we like and be creative.

User Info Menu

The best way to do it, man...be yourself and be true to your calling...

Charlie