Thread: What to do with old (vintage) Tama set

User Info Menu

Question What to do with old (vintage) Tama set

I have a Tama Imperial Star from Tama's first year production. Steel blue. The bass drum hoops are in bad shape.. rusted a bit at the bottoms. I'm wondering if these sets are worth fixing up beyond the fact it's a good instrument and if anyone know where I can get parts for it.

I've cleaned all the hardware and shells (Counter magic works great on scuzzy shells) but the hoops look pretty bad still.

FYI I just ebayed a Rogers Dynasonic for $260 any tips on maint?

thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: What to do with old (vintage) Tama set

Those were nice sets in their day, I would say it is defiantly worth restoring. Just buy some maple hoops for the bass drum. It will update the look and be an easy fix.

User Info Menu

Thanks... not sure how maple will look on Blue steel wrap...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Thanks... not sure how maple will look on Blue steel wrap...
    Paint them black or a coordinating blue. Just spray paint them a then clear urethane them. Both can be purchased in a can and the results should look professional. IMO anything looks better than steel bass drum hoops! :

User Info Menu

I would agree buy some wood hoops, spray paint um black, definately worth putting a little work and money into cleaning it up. You can sell, it or keep it as a back up set.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Thanks folks... I will keep the set as it's been a good kit all the years I played a lot and the times I just kept dribbling along. I want to get back to playing regular again and teach my younger son to play. I am interested in a new or used set like something in the Tama starclassic level.

Ironically I had to sell my Rogers R360 white pearl set with a new (1971) Dynasonic snare to by the Tama's. I see that Rogers are collectible so I wonder what they'd be worth today?

User Info Menu

oh my gosh that would be so cool if you still had that rogers, i bet it is so much

User Info Menu

Yeah wr stix, I am sure you are feeling kind like, "coulda woulda shoulda on that one" man what a bummer. I had a Ludwig octa plus kit that I sold in the early eighties and they are pretty collectible too. But not as collectible as those big R Rogers kits.

User Info Menu

always a good idea to restore vintage mate, they are soooooo worth it.

User Info Menu

I agree, restore vintage stuff. I've seen some guys clean up chrome real nice. I don't know what they used but it looked almost new. They got rid of the rust and everything. If I find out what it was I'll repost with the info.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

would love to see those when you get em done man.

User Info Menu

You could always sand them down and take them to a place that does chroming and get them re-done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Thanks folks... I will keep the set as it's been a good kit all the years I played a lot and the times I just kept dribbling along. I want to get back to playing regular again and teach my younger son to play. I am interested in a new or used set like something in the Tama starclassic level.

Ironically I had to sell my Rogers R360 white pearl set with a new (1971) Dynasonic snare to by the Tama's. What are they worth today?
    I have the same set in black. Perfect condition. Try as I may, I have never been able to find out there value.

Larrysperf Guest

2 words KEEP THEM NUFF SAID

User Info Menu

Pics! We ned pics!

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Pics! We ned pics!
    Here is a pic of my 1974 Tama's. The 14" FT is a Yamaha, not part of the kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Looking good man!
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Looking good man!
    Thank you