Thread: Help! Wrist problems again....

User Info Menu

Default Help! Wrist problems again....

I have this joint problem that makes me more likely to develop injuries in overused joints...and the current topic of concern is my wrists...

Often times during marching season or times that I drum frequently, my wrists get pretty darn painful... I've tried wearing wrist braces when I'm not drumming, and that helps, but any progress at healing that I've made is soon replaced with pain from practice.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit desperate, I have to find something that helps b4 marching season kicks in again, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help! Wrist problems again....

What's the diagnosis, if you don't mind my asking. I used to be a chiropractor (well, still am, I'm just not practicing anymore).

And welcome to Drum Chat Quads!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hmm, I honestly dont know, if i were you, id consult a physician, or something of the sort

User Info Menu

Hmm... it's called Multiple Directional Instability...just a fancy name for annoyingly "flexible" joints...

And Ch33zz... Unfortunately there's nada that can be done from a diagnostic standpoint... outside of PT out the wazoo...
    Which is actually what I did for my shoulder so that I could even move enough to even pick up my drums, nonetheless play them...
    Last edited by quads4life; 03-01-2008 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Id have it checked out by a doctor or something... Your wrists are kinda important to drumming Good Luck and quads rock!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Help! Wrist problems again....

Sounds like a Greek chorus, quads, but if you haven't, check with your doctor! Might also ask him what to take for the pain...I would think ibuprofen (Advil) would be good for it, but don't take anything till you check with him!

Tenors rock, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

TD, I would suggest checking with a doctor as well, in case there is already an inflammatory process that has started. I would also suggest that if you wear a brace when you are not playing, since your wrists are hypermobile, maybe you could wear a more flexible, but supportive brace while you play. It might prevent the hypermobility, and yet not restrict you too much. Of course that would require you to get used to something on your wrists as you play. Only you can decide whether you could live with that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Sounds like a Greek chorus, quads, but if you haven't, check with your doctor! Might also ask him what to take for the pain...I would think ibuprofen (Advil) would be good for it, but don't take anything till you check with him!

Tenors rock, bro'!
    Ya I can see the Greek chorus...but I guess if it gets really bad again I will see a doc. But idk that there's anything that they can do...hmm...

Lol ya tenors rock but I'm a girl...
    Last edited by quads4life; 03-03-2008 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    TD, I would suggest checking with a doctor as well, in case there is already an inflammatory process that has started. I would also suggest that if you wear a brace when you are not playing, since your wrists are hypermobile, maybe you could wear a more flexible, but supportive brace while you play. It might prevent the hypermobility, and yet not restrict you too much. Of course that would require you to get used to something on your wrists as you play. Only you can decide whether you could live with that.
    Wow that's actually a really good idea...hadn't thought of the flexible brace when I play...I'll definitely check into that. I know it'd take some getting used to, but I think it'd certainly be worth it. Thanx!

User Info Menu

Paster Bob is on to something in addressing your hyper-mobile joints. Before moving into the IT Field I worked as an Occupational Therapist. Stabilizing the joint during your playing is going to be huge. Try a brace. If the Brace helps make note of how it immobilizes the joint and positions you. You may be able to simulate that technique without using the brace. Also If the Doc checks you out ok then some strengthening exercises might help also. Druming is more endurance building than adding muscle. Additional muscle in the area would help stabilize the joint.

Something else to consider is your playing tech. I used to drive my stick into the drum and the drum surface interrupted its travel on the way to the floor. After seeing an interview with Freddie Grubber I have since adapted his approach and that is a circular playing motion above the drum with the bottom of the circle contacting the drum. Not playing down and through the drum. My main issue was skin integrity. When I was doing corps drumming I had great Calloused hands but it took many a blister to get them that way. Now that I don't play as much I needed a playing technique that was less traumatic to my hands. Freddie's tips have worked great for me and I think would work for you. Check out the list of guys he has worked with yikes... Dud has street cred

Check him out here Can't seem to find the video of him talking about the path of a stroke but I have seen Neil Peart talk about that as a lesson he learned from Freddie in his instructional A work in progress video.
    http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...ie_Gruber.html

Good luck to ya, Check back with us with updates as to how your doing. oh and how is you back lugging those quads around. spent one marching season on those things before moving to snare and still feel it 16 years later.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Wow lotsa great advice and tips, pditty. Thanks! Hmmm... As far as adding muscle, sounds like a great idea...worked pretty well for my shoulder. And simulating the "flexible brace" thing sounds interesting...but definitely worth a shot.

And as for technique, I'm not by any means saying that I have awesome technique, but I don't drive the stick into the head...at least not like you were saying...lol! I'll def check that video out. And will definitely check back...I really like drumchat...lotsa good ideas and help from people. Thanks!

User Info Menu

There is a DVD...The Moeller Technique...featuring Michael Mikalcow (Sp.). I found it by doing a "Google" on Moeller Technique. I bought it and watch it constantly and intently. Not only does he detail the Moeller stroke but, he also teaches the best concepts of Finger Control I have ever seen. Little or no wrist action whatsoever. You might consider looking into this as a practice mehtod to supplement the excellent advice offered by Pastor Bob and Pditty. Good luck to you and keep us posted.