Thread: Punk band?

User Info Menu

Default Punk band?

My friend just asked me to join his punk band and I'm gonna try it out on Monday. Can anyone explain to me the elements of a punk drummer?
    Getting A Sonor Force 3007.
    Debating whether to get Sabian AAX or Zildjian Custom A

User Info Menu

Default Re: Punk band?

hmm...pretty straight forward quick beats, mostly fast movements, i dont think it would be that hard, just kind of like the basic beats on speed.

oh and get sabian AAX THEY ARE AWESOME

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Punk band?

Hey, Mikeey, might ask your buddy what kind of music he likes, then give that a listen...CC is right though, it shouldn't be hard to pull off!

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeey View Post
    My friend just asked me to join his punk band and I'm gonna try it out on Monday. Can anyone explain to me the elements of a punk drummer?

Gonna need a new hairdoo!
    "There's a woman in the United States who predicted the plane we were traveling on would crash. Now, a lot of people would like to think we were scared into saying a prayer. What we did actually--we drank."
    - Ringo Starr, 1966

User Info Menu

I listen to lots of punk. Drums, in punk music, are about the most difficult instrument. It'll probably get boring, as punk is very repetitive.

A common punk beat is to alternate hi hat and snare 8th or 16th notes. Another is to have a double bass roll going and pop the snare very loudly every quarter note.

User Info Menu

or b= bass s=snare
    bsbbsbsbbs ect ect
    you can ride anything over that beat and its great simple punk (dk, sex pistols, ect) technical punk can have anything and everything just make it agrssive and angry and your set
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I played in a real punk band for years. If your buddies band sounds like NOFX or Blink 182 that's not actually a punk band. When I played however, I played whatever I wanted. I like to play more complicated stuff than just your Ramones style time keeping. It's punk! By definition punk is doing whatever you want! If you want to hear what good drums soud like check out early Subhumans or Dead Kennedys. The DK cover of Viva Las Vegas has some cool drums. Mostly though you will find yourself playing straight forward beats and having your real fun with the fills. Better have some stamina.
    If it makes noise hit it!

User Info Menu

I'm going to play with the high hat partially open to give it a bit of a more trashy sound while doing the bass snare thing from drummer davie :D Thanks guys
    Getting A Sonor Force 3007.
    Debating whether to get Sabian AAX or Zildjian Custom A

User Info Menu

That's a start, bro'!

And as for the hairdo?

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

but fish is right mikey you better have stamina and nofx, blink 182, green day, ect are pop punk bands there not realy punk. dead kenadys, sex pistols, 999, subhumans, the ramones, ect are real punk bands

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I found this on the Drum Bum website:

http://www.drumbum.com/drums/punk-drum-tips.htm

User Info Menu

wear a rain mack cos you are gonna get spat on!! eeeewwwwww.
    thats if its real punk!! Clash,Stranglers, Jonny Moped, Damned,Suzie and the banshees, etc. all good stuff. Live at the Roxy albums have some good stuff on them. Am I showing me age peeps!!

User Info Menu

Most punk drumming is really generic and just really fast which gives all punk drummers a bad name, but it can be done right. Go listen to the drummer for Amber Pacific, Dango, he's amazing. He still plays really fast alot of the time but he doesn't overuse it. And he doesn't just play the same fast beat on every song. He plays some of the most riduculously creative beats I've ever heard incorporating like 4 or 5 cymbals into a verse beat. If I was gonna play in a punk band I'd let his style inspire me rather than just play the standard punk drummer crap.

Shazane Guest

I wouldnt call NOFX "pop punk", more hardcore punk but closer to punk

User Info Menu

listen to "the virus" they have good stuff
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    I wouldnt call NOFX "pop punk", more hardcore punk but closer to punk
    the only reason i call them pop punk is because of there cds being classified that way by record stores, there are vary close to punk but they still fit in pop punk

User Info Menu

The drummer in my brothers band "Monster Squad" is one of the most amazing punk drummers I have ever heard in my life... not trying to plug their band or anything but I honestly believe he is the most creative/best drummer in the punk scene today

User Info Menu

"Pop Punk" reall should describe Ramones wannabes like the Queers, Screeching Weasel, even the Vinidictives. NOFX is fake punk, skater punk. total mishap attempt and cashing in on punk. Take your pick. It's the Fat records sound. Put good bands like Screaching Weasel and The Swingin utters on Fat records and they sound lousy.

I just played gig and the band before us had Billy Ficca from televion as the Drummer.
    If it makes noise hit it!

User Info Menu

do whatever you like, there shouldnt be a stereotypical drum beat you have to play as a punk drummer, just fit it in with the bass or guitar,
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

Hey, Mikeey! Since it's been a week since you first posted, how'd that gig go?

Hope it worked for ya, bro'!

Charlie