Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Kits???

User Info Menu

Default Drum Kits???

Im looking to buy my first drum kit. I don't want it to be expensive (more than $1000) but i want it to be a good quality kit. Any ideas??? What kind of kit do you play???

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Kits???

Well for under $1,000 you can get a great set. I play the Gretsch Catalina Birch and it was only $700, but considered a semi-pro set. Go to MusiciansFriend.com and select the drum department, then you can set your price for under $1,000 and see what you get.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

For a $1000, I suggest your local Craigslist or your local newspaper.

If you're looking at new stuff for a $1000 you're probably going to get an intermediate or "semi-pro" kit and starter cymbals(or starter cymbal pack).

A $1000 going into used gear can get you an intermediate kit(***or better***)possibly with pro quality cymbals.

If you buy new....my suggestion to you is to not buy the cheapest cymbals or cymbal pack. If money is an issue, buy a nice set of hats then add on nice cymbals as you can afford them since cymbals are usually the first thing you decide to upgrade. You save yourself $$$ in the long run.

negativeattitude

User Info Menu

if i were you i would go with PDP, they look like they have a nice set up and they are good quality. check them out

Shazane Guest

I'd get a Pearl, they're better than everything else.

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with any of the main manufactures kits, I would look at Gretch, Sonor, PDP, Ludwig Accent, Pearl, Tama, etc. they all make great kits.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
    Shazane- What makes Pearl better than everything else?
    Their patented heat compression system makes Pearl shells nearly indestructible, and their shell design, using offset seams and scarf jointing between plies, makes them virtually seamless, resulting in flawless resonance and tone. That's why Pearl is officially "the best reason to play drums."

ThePloughman Guest

Buy used. And you might get.........lucky.

You could be playing DW, or Ayotte Custom, or some other High End kit.
    If you can be patient until April, the chances of picking up a desparation sale dramatically increase.

User Info Menu

I agree with Ploughman that you should take your time to look for some good deals. I don't know where you live, and whether you can easily get to music stroes, but if you can you would be wise to decide what tone you like for your drum kit. For instance, I play a Gretsch Catalina maple kit, and it has a naturally warmer tone to the drum shells. 32ndHeartBeart has the Gretsch Catalina birch kit, and it's natural tone is slightly higher than the maple.

By listening to the sound of the various kits, you will begin to hear the tone that sounds good to you. Each one of us plays the kit that we do, because it's the sound that appeals to our ears. If you are spending $1,000 for a kit, then you are moving past the "every kit sounds the same" beginner kits. The other thing that you need to consider is which kits come with the hardware you will need (cymbal stands, throne, bass pedal, and hi-hat stand). Then you have the cost of the cymbals themselves, so if this needs to be factored into the $1,000 figure, you will need to adjust the amount that you can pay for the drum kit, and going used might be the option (as others have said) to get you everything you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I bought my Catalina Birch a year and a half ago. Prior to that I had almost purchased the 7piece ELX poplar. Firstly the sound of the Gretsch blew me away while the sound of the ELX was empty compared to the Catalina. One of the best decisions I had made. There are many beautiful sounding drums out there by many manufacturers including Gretsch, Pearl, DW or PDP, TAMA, Mapex even Yamaha. For that price range, I would go the Gretsch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

In that price range I would suggest Gretsch (based on my drumchat buddies experiences) or Mapex (based on my experiences with them - something like this ). Pearl, Tama, and the host of other manufacturers (IMO) don't get quality untill you hit the more expensive price tags. Those two however have stood out to me as the best for a lower cost. The other one I may look at is Sonor.

DW is out (unless it's second hand) purely because of the cost.

And as was kinda pointed out - cymbals are, and will be, much more important than the kit itself. You would be better to buy a cheaper end kit and quality cymbals and heads. Your overall sound will be much better and you will be happier with it - as opposed to buying a more expensive kit and only having enough for real basic cheap cymbals and the stock heads.

And before I forget - don't just look at the drums - but also look at the mounting system and hardware - these are things that often get over looked but are really important. Cheaper brands and kits can often have dodgy hardware and locks (if at all) that don't actually hold your drums properly and things. The tom positions can slip, the cymbal stands don't balance well - all sorts of things - and they are things that will drive you mental later on, if not straight away. This is another reason I am partial to mapex - even thieir low end kits get bonuses like ball mount systems and double braced stands.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Buy used and get 100% birch or maple shells. I am selling a mapex pro m maple shell kit for $600 and it is near perfect and sounds great . You dont have to buy low end drums you just need to find the right used set .
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Go used. 1000 is a fair amount for just the drums but if you need cymbals then your 1000 will get pretty thin. Find as many high end kits on craigs list as you can and lowball (50% asking)each person via email and see who is motivated to sell. If people are moving out of state or into an apartment they can be very motivated to sell. You may have a real passion for drumming but if you get a bad kit it can kill your interest all together.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

theres not a lot of kits being sold in my area.... I found a blue ludwig kit with extras(not specific) Its a 5 piece kit that comes with 3 cymbals with stands and a throne for $450. Good deal? Is this an ok sounding kit or is tis not worth it at all??

User Info Menu

(I have a Sound Percussion drum set for sale. This is a junior set which means it is a little smaller than a full size set. It is loud enough to play a show or rehearse. This was my first drum set and after a year of playing, I have gotten discouraged since I have no foot/ hand coordination. I am sticking to guitar only now. The drum shells are great quality, but the heads are used. It is a perfect beginner drum set, but if you are more advanced, I'd suggest getting some nice new evans or remo heads. All the hardware is in good working order, but some of the chrome is flecking off of the top of the hi-hat (cosmetic not effecting performance) I bought a new bass drum pedal. It is a pearl and cost me 75$ on sale at guitar center. it is about 2 months old used maybe 10 times. The kit comes with a bass drum, floor tom, mid size tom, hi hat, crash cymbal, snare drum, and PDP throne (60$ throne). I also have a few sets of drumsticks ill throw in plus some towels for the bass drum if you want them. The kit is in grat shape other than normal wear on the heads, which are in good working order still.)This set is $200. Let me know...

User Info Menu

i would go ahead and say no on that one

User Info Menu

TD, we don't sell stuff in this forum. There is a place where you can post a classified ad if you want to sell the kit over the internet. Here's the link: http://store.drumbum.com/drums/class...s-drumming.htm
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

what Ludwig kit is it? I played a Ludwig Rocker kit for Jazz band in High School and that was a very solid kit. I think Ludwig does make some lower end kits that you may not be as pleased with...
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    TD, we don't sell stuff in this forum. There is a place where you can post a classified ad if you want to sell the kit over the internet. Here's the link: http://store.drumbum.com/drums/class...s-drumming.htm

PB - he is showing us an advert he has seen and is wanting our input if it sounds worthwhile - not trying to sell it. His initial question was for advice on buying a kit.

TD - I'd say no, definately. The Ludwig may be alright, but it depends on whihc Ludwig it is. THere was a time where their kits were REALLY sub-par, despite being a well known brand. Now-a-days they are quite nice again, and they have a fairly large range spanning all price brackets, so it will depend on which particular set it is, and also, look at the sizes, as this will effect the sound of the kit. You'll want to find a kit that has the appropriate dimensions for the style and sound you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    That's why Pearl is officially "the best reason to play drums."
    That would still be refered to as an opinion, my friend.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    PB - he is showing us an advert he has seen and is wanting our input if it sounds worthwhile - not trying to sell it. His initial question was for advice on buying a kit.
    for the record crazymanwithaplunger, im a girl. But whatever. So no to the $200 kit?

User Info Menu

Well TD with the majority of the posters on this forum being males. We assume you are male unless we are otherwise alerted. Usually a user name will reflect a female poster, but your user name does not indicate your gender' so forgive crazyclownpuncher or any of the rest of us that have refereed to you by the opposite gender.

Shazane Guest

I don't know about all this Pearl bashing going on here, even their low end kits are as good as most higher priced ones from other companies. I only paid $750 for the discontinued ELX Export (a mid level set) and am the envy of every drummer I encounter.

User Info Menu

First TD - I apologise - it was an assumption and a bad one at that. Sorry.

Secondly, Shazane - I don't think anyone is pearl bashin at all from what I can tell. I would just say that the majority feel that you saying "Pearl is the best" is more of an opinion that something that is factual. It is about your preferences etc... And I agree that Pearl Kits are good quality, however their cheaper kits aren't that cheap and also, they do cut corners. There is a massive differences in the build quality and materials and hardware options for an export and a masters (which is where the real quality of pearl can be found). I may be wrong, but every low end pearl i've seen for example uses the old mounting arms as tom mounts. Like I pointed out Mapex give you ball mount system - which are a million times better. There's also a lot to be said for advertisement and brand recognition. But like I said - this isn't to bash pearl - as I agree they make brilliant kits.

Lastly to TD again - that's a No to the $200 kit.

User Info Menu

the slogan "the best reason to play drums" is actually on their website, i dont know if that was the sole quote or opinion of shazane, but i was just putting it out their