Thread: Double Bass problems...

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass problems...

Hi all. A few weeks ago I bought my first double bass pedal. I set it up myself after failing to find the instructions on the pdp website. Now I dont know if its cuz I set it up wrong or because Im not good at it, but the left pedal is harder to push down than the right. I assumed it was because my left leg is weaker, but its so much of a difference that I think it may be the way I set it up.

I messed with the springs and when I loosen or tighten them there really isnt a difference. Am I doing this wrong too? Or is it because the bass pedal is only 100 bucks.

Any advice or tips for a double bass noob?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass problems...

I would say that your left leg is weaker because it hasn't been worked on a bass pedal like your right leg has. I ran into the same problem, the way I solved it was to set up my practice bass pad and sit and watch TV and work my right leg (I play left handed and footed) I sit and do all kinds of combinations with my right foot and practice playing evenly and precisely. I may do that for a couple hours straight, and the TV helps break the monotony but my foot is pretty tired after a work out like that. If you keep that up long enough you will build all the strength you need in both feet.

User Info Menu

backtodrum makes a good point gonna take a bit to work up your endurance. Did you play any double pedals at your local music shop? How did they feel in comparison? Keep fiddling with the spring tensions and also find a beater head hight that works for you. shortening or lengthening the beater head can make a big difference in feel. What model did you buy? Perhaps there is an adjustment that someone else who own that model can advise you on.

Keep workin it you'll get it
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Sorry I cant help ya out on this Yoda , Im fast enough with a single pedal . It has nothing to do with the fact that if I did have 2, I would probably fall over my hi-hats...........lol

Interesting thread , keep us posted on your findings , Im looking at buying a Ludwig double pedal myself . Good luck .

User Info Menu

I just thought of something else to add, Have you played your left pedal with your right foot. does it feel the same as the right pedal. Really there isn't allot of adjustment with these pedal. if you beaters are the same and at the same angle when at rest and you spring tension is reasonable the same then you should be good to go.

User Info Menu

Good idea on switching feet!!!! When working up your double bass anything goes. you can use all the same exercises that got your hands working. Rudiments, started slow and then brought up to speed. Look forward to seeing you shred on youtube

and yoda, double bass you can, if focused and determined your mind is...

ok so I'm a nerd...
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. When Im at work (I work graveyard shift at a truck stop) I sit there and tap my feet up and down as if im playing bass, while Im wearing my heavy boots to build up the muscles. Ive seen those Futz practice pedals in Modern Drummer...should I invest in those for when Im at work or just bring the pedal?