Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I got burned

User Info Menu

Default I think I got burned

Pardon the pun but I think I got "The short end of the stick" when I bought my kit. I was not looking to spend a whole lot of cash just wanted to give the drums a go. When I walked into the store just to check out prices I seen a kit for 300. It was a CB SP series. So I thought well that is not to bad of a price.

I know you get what you pay for however sometimes it pays off. Two days later I walk in and the price jumped to 400. I was like whoa. I was not sure if I should risk 400. Well after 20 minutes of debating the excitement of playing drums got the best of Me. I bought the kit. After I got it home and tuned and starting practicing for a few days I come to find out everything in the store went half price including the drum kits.They was closing this store down. I was insanely mad.

Now I dunno what to do my friend who has played guitar for a good 20 yrs says I should contact the home office of this music store chain. I'm not sure if I would be waisting my time or what.

The kit was a window display kit. It came with no sticks had to buy them separately.Is that normal?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I think I got burned

Easiest thing to do is pack it up and take it back and get your money back.
    BTW Federal law on sales states if you buy somthing retail and it's on sale a few days later you can demand the sale price.

They can slide around that if they are selling a "floor model" or blem but you can still take it back and say no thanks.

Buy with your head and play with your heart.

User Info Menu

uhh, i bought that exact set with new heads and all hardware for 250. you got completely burned take it back ASAP

User Info Menu

I would agree, you got hosed! Take it back ASAP, and if there is any static, contact the home office. If this is a chain store, the management usually prefers satisfied customers to unhappy ones, especially since you're talking about a relatively small profit here.

Sorry, but wlecome to Drum Chat Beasty!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

At the very least, contact the head office.

If they are decent human beings, they'll at least refund the difference for you, maybe more,

and if they aren't decent human beings, you've only lost 5 minutes on the phone or writing an email.

User Info Menu

I'd be willing to bet they do nothing especially if they are closing the store down. They have nothing to loose, they don't need your referral or care what their reputation is at that point.

User Info Menu

unfortunately I agree with BTD. THey would not care right now since they are closing this store down. But if it is a popular franchise, they may refund your money. Next thing to do would be to either keep the kit and perservere until you upgrade or cut your losses and sell it now while it is still brand new.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

BTD, I would agree if it wasn't a chain store, and I suppose it all depends on how close the other nearest stores are. It's still worth a shot though. The worst possible scenario is that Beasty got burned, and it is a live and learn situation (and we've all been there Beasty!). He might as well run the return up the flagpole. It doesn't cost him anything to try it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

yeah its 200$...... or may not give you that much :( but anyting is money to spend on other things :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

ThePloughman Guest

Cut your loses and walk away. Just be thankful you didnt overpay by 30 % on a five thousand dollar drumset. Resisting impulse buying is one of the toughest things you learn in life. The store is closing....... you arent going to find a sympathetic ear in there, but ....... you could stand out front with a big sign saying...........they ripped me off. Be thankful it wasnt a lot of money.

User Info Menu

If they are closing the store you might be out of luck. Don't feel to bad. I have done this very same thing. Apply what you have learned to future purchases like cars and houses and overpaying 150 on a kit will come back to you seven fold. If you return to the store keep in mind folks there are loosing there jobs and someones dream of owning a music store is coming to an end. Showing a little love like that may get you some store credit, maybe a cymbal or a stand, pedal, drum heads anything to make a win win for both parties involved. They need to clear out the store and your a drummer and we drummers always needs gear. With a failed business they have lots of debts to repay so cash will be tight.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pditty View Post
    If they are closing the store you might be out of luck. Don't feel to bad. I have done this very same thing. Apply what you have learned to future purchases like cars and houses and overpaying 150 on a kit will come back to you seven fold. If you return to the store keep in mind folks there are loosing there jobs and someones dream of owning a music store is coming to an end. Showing a little love like that may get you some store credit, maybe a cymbal or a stand, pedal, drum heads anything to make a win win for both parties involved. They need to clear out the store and your a drummer and we drummers always needs gear. With a failed business they have lots of debts to repay so cash will be tight.
    Pditty, well said brother! Your take on how the people of the store are feeling is right on, and going in with that understanding, and the right attitude just might have more luck than an angry attitude ever would.

I think the greatest trick here is not to let this problem become so big that it keeps you from enjoying learning the drums Beasty. The time will come when you will become much better, you will have the ability to invest in a better kit that will be equal to your new abilities, and you will be smarter because you went through this. Hang in there and don't let the anger stay too long. It just isn't worth it.

User Info Menu

It is very hard for me to keep a grudge. As far as being mad at everyone in this store that is not the case. Colonial Music is a big chain. I am more mad at the person who decided to take advantage of the situation.

Now to update you. The district manager called yesterday. Only problem is I was not up yet and missed the call so I am going to be trying to call him today.

User Info Menu

If the manager is trying to call you thats a good sign. Good luck. You sound like a level headed fellow so I am sure things will go good for ya if the manager is likewise. Keep us updated. Might want to mention you are an active member of DrumChat! Anyone who shops at Colonial Music will be watching to see how your treated. Meet face to face with him or her if you can.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Beasty, i agree here with all that has been said. Really in the long term scheme of things, $150 is no real big deal long term. Sure it stings a little now but 6 months from now you won't give it any more worry or thought.. Enjoy your drums and don't sweat it any further. I find my self worrying about things like this too, and then something will happen that puts in all into perspective like when you witness one of your children avoid a potentially life threatening accident or something that could be potentially catastrophic and all of the sudden you realize that it wasn't worth worrying about. My mother always told me " If you can solve a problem with money, then it is not a problem" I just wish that I always could live by those words. I would be happier too!

User Info Menu

Amen BTD! Words of true wisdom brother! Thanks for posting it! I feel blessed!

User Info Menu

Well I talked to the District manager today I got a 106 dollar gift card. The 6 was for the drum sticks I should have gotten with the set.

Now I got decisions what I should get with it. Debating between replacing the decent sounding drum heads with better ones or replacing the symbols that do not sound so good but does not sound like I am banging metal.

User Info Menu

Congrats Beasty!

User Info Menu

i would go with new heads. if you are committed, save up for good cymbals, theres no point in buying begginer then intermediate then pro cymbals, because all the money and time you spent on those, you could have spent on pro ones from the beginning

User Info Menu

Nice job working this one through. Sounds like you came to a win win for all without compromising your personal integrity.

I'm with Coke can on this one. 106 won't get you much for high end cymbals. (maybe a splash) Go with the heads. Lots of folks like the Evans G2 depends on what ya like.
    Last edited by pditty; 03-07-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    i would go with new heads. if you are committed, save up for good cymbals, theres no point in buying begginer then intermediate then pro cymbals, because all the money and time you spent on those, you could have spent on pro ones from the beginning
    Good advice Coke!

User Info Menu

Most chains are good about honoring sales prices like that. I had the same thing happen to me a week after i bought a new fridge. It went on sale the following week for almost $300 bucks less than i paid. I walked in with the ad and my receipt and they gave me the cash with no problems. Not sure if you'd have the same luck with a small mom-and-pop shop.

So they gave you a gift certificate to a store thats going out of business? I'd say you might be able to get a good price on some quality cymbals, but it sounds like you dont have much time to save up some more cash. The heads may be the way to go if you need to spend it quickly.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

You say the heads sound decent, I would first look to see what they have left in decent used Cymbals if any, maybe you could replace your most objectionable sounding Cymbal, for me that was my ride. If not you can stock up on heads, sticks, maybe add a cowbell, etc. I would say don't but the new heads on until you wear out the old ones, if you aren't totally unhappy with the sound.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't put new heads on especially if you don't play out with the kit and you are just playing along to CDs with headphones on ( I don't really know if that is what you are doing but I know what I did for years with my kit.) wear the heads out that are on it if that is the case!!!

User Info Menu

Well The heads that are there now Are 2ply Remo's. Also the store is part of a chain Colonial Music. The my cousin who has been playing for a good 20 yr's says the heads are fine he thinks they do not sound half bad either. He is the one that suggested I get either a 20 inch ride or a symbol pack with with a 18 inch crash/ride.

I do play along to music with head phones. I already got the song "Like a Stone" by Audio Slave Down to a fine art and could play it in my sleep. I am currently working on "Oh Sherry" by Journey. During the night I work on my 1 and 2 stroke rolls and experiment with different Beat patterns on a block of wood while running my Train layout.

Thanks for all the advice though.