Thread: They're Heeeeeeere!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default They're Heeeeeeere!

Got the new cans today! Haven't even had a chance to play them cuz I spent all night setting them up and now, everybody's asleep. These are SOOOO sweet looking! Here ya go.

Gotta get me a Rockenwrap for the Cherry snare and I decided to keep the 5 piece Cherry S-Class and let my 10, 13 & 14 yo boys use it to learn on - nice Dad, huh?

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Default Re: They're Heeeeeeere!

Nice! What did those babys set you back?

User Info Menu

congrats, that's a sweet set (love all the stacked cymbals, too). what do they call that color?

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Yeah, OK they seem OK *yawn*

Yes, I'm yanking your chain Stix! Congratulations, it looks like an awesome kit, and yes your offspring are indeed fortunate to have you as a dad. Oh, and letting them play the other drums is pretty cool too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: They're Heeeeeeere!

Stix--sweet, bro', sweet! And it's cool you're lettin' the boys play the "old" set...you could have a family of drummers here before long!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

that is AWESOME

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!!!! Two snares?

User Info Menu

hmmm How big of a vehicle would it take to haul a set like that? whats your address and what are your work hours and when will everyone be out of the house...

Love it man nice kit.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pditty View Post
    hmmm How big of a vehicle would it take to haul a set like that? whats your address and what are your work hours and when will everyone be out of the house...
    LMAO!!!!

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Yup two sizes and tunings to play differnt beats in a song :> I wish i could afford two... or more.

Nice kit stix.... lovein the kit but not feelin the colour. but you must be happy with it and thats all that matters :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Congradulations Sonor, those a beautiful, you goota love Sonor drums!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the props guys... I'll take your questions in order -

Drummer: The shell pack (i.e. 5 toms and bass) plus a complete set of Humes & Berg hardcases was $1,100. but shipping was $400. so all in it was $1,500.

Luddy: the color/finish is called "Ash" - it's a real dark vertical wood grain with high gloss lacquer. Depending upon the light, it looks like black or a very dark green.

PB: That's okay, I deserve to have my chain yanked. Haven't been able to be around here much with the demands of work and family. Still trying to put a band together... it's amazing how many musicians just don't know what day it is or how to tell time. Whatever happened to "responsibility"?

BB: Yep, the middle boy (13 yo) really has taken a shine to playing and the old Royce set (my very first set) is really in tough shape. I figured this would be a great motivator for him (and probably the other two as well). If it doesn't work out and he gets bored with it, I can always sell the kit and get back most of my money. I'd rather have them bangin' drum heads than some other kind... or worse, doing drugs/drinking. I kinda look at it as an investment in my boys. It's not like I gambled the milk and bread money away.

DC: the chrome snare is a vintage Sonor D454 that I refurbished about 9 months ago - it actually came with the aforementioned Royce set. If you do a search here, I think I put up some pix of before and after and there's a thread about all that I did to it. It has a very snappy crack with no overtones. The second snare is a Sonor 5" X 14" maple shell S-Class that came with the cherry set. It has a bit of a ring/sustain to it and a completely different sound from the metal D454. Different songs have different snare sounds and now I can accomodate. The only thing it needs is a Rocken Wrap so that it doesn't look so out of place with the Ash & Chrome.

PDitty: I drive a Dodge Nitro R/T and I'm not sure if they're all going to fit (although the 6 pc Cherry did with all the hardware - couldn't fit anything else tho! ). If that doesn't work, my wife's car is a Ford Expedition EL and I'm sure I can get it all into that. But then I have the PA system, too. So I'm actually thinking about a small trailer to haul all the stuff around in for gigs. Regarding the rest of your question? Ummmm, the alarm at the house is ALWAYS on when we're not home and my two best friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson keep watch when we are!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 03-07-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

Nice set Stix , Congrats .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Thanks for all the props guys...

...I'd rather have them bangin' drum heads than some other kind... or worse, doing drugs/drinking. I kinda look at it as an investment in my boys. It's not like I gambled the milk and bread money away...

...Regarding the rest of your question? Ummmm, the alarm at the house is ALWAYS on when we're not home and my two best friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson keep watch when we are!

Stix
    On your boys, ! My thoughts exactly, man!

On your friends...ain't gonna mess with those dudes!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit stix! I really like the color. Nice choice!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't wrap that snare. Its perfect and the red gives your kit a nice pop. I like it. Its got a great wood grain.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Stix...Good for you, those drums look absolutely beautiful and I'll bet they sound every bit as nice as well. Tell PB he can yawn all he wants...

Frank

User Info Menu

They look gorgeous
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Wowww....
    8 piece kits....comes with two snares....

You got it for 1500 bucks including shipping ?? Awesome....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Totti - No, I had the cherry snare (it came with the set in the background) and the chrome snare as well as all the hardware and the cymbals. I bought the shell pack (5 toms plus bass drum - total of 6 pieces) with hard cases for all the toms and bass (6 cases) for $1,100. plus $400. for shipping. I think the shipping was more because of the hard cases - heavy suckers!

Pditty: DUH! When I first read your post I actually thought you were serious about what kind of vehicles I drive. Geez, I'm getting old - sometimes the brain just needs a good kick start. Funny, dude!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 03-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

LOL it was nice how much detail you included in transporting your kit

The more I hang out here the older I feel. I remember when double bass meant having TWO BASS DRUMS!!!!!

Hey that is one nice kit.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

i would love to play that 8x8 (aswell as the rest of the kit). i bet it sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

does anyone here actually have instrument insurrance? I looked into it during my course. It was a good idea there are actual insurance mobs that only do instrument insurrance. Its kinda cheap. like 40$ a month i think. which is good to know your 10 grand puppy is well protected.... it generally protects weather, breakages, stolen goods, fires etc.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Stevo: I have instrument insurance on both of my sets. Instrument insurance is only necessary if you exceed the limits allowed for musical instruments on your homeowners/renters insurance policy and/or you use your instrument professionally. If not, your set is normally covered under the "contents" portion of your homeowners/renters policy. $40. a month is a little steep as far as premium is concerned - that would mean your annual premium would be $480.00/year. It's usually somewhere around $2.00 to $2.50 per $100. of coverage i.e. in my case I'm covering a little over $3k and my premium is just under $100. per year. I use my set(s) professionally (i.e. earn money playing them) therefore I need to cover them with a scheduled items "rider" on my homeowners. I know this because I am an insurance agent and run my own insurance company.

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 03-10-2008 at 07:10 AM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

ahh thanks for the finer details I couldnt remember what it was its been 3 years since i did it :P I did it on a pearl masters brand new... with zildjians.... just as a quote for an idea.... it looked alright just to know there protected :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters