Thread: Ludwig Supraphonic vs Pearl Sensitone Elite

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Supraphonic vs Pearl Sensitone Elite

I'm in the market to buy a steel shell snare drum and was set on getting the Supraphonic. However, looking at the Pearl snare drums on their website I took notice to their Sensitones, which looks like they designed these after the Ludwigs. The biggest difference is price. Depending on shell depth, the Supraphonic has a street price of $359-$369 and the Sensitone is $179-$189 Since the music stores around here don't carry any Sensitones at the moment, I can't try it out. I have played a Supraphonic and it's great sounding. So I was wondering if anyone has played both and can make a comparison. Does the Pearl sound as good and is a cheaper alternitive or does the Supraphonic sound better to justify the price difference? Thanks in advance.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Supraphonic vs Pearl Sensitone Elite

i am a bit biased towards Ludwig, obviously, and i have not heard that model by Pearl that i know of...you should be able to go to a music store and play them side by side and check out the features/construction of each.

they're both darn pretty that's for sure. i want a 3" x 13" Ludwig bronze for my aux snare.

good luck w/ your purchase

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

really havent heard of the sensitone, but i know that ludwig is the most recorded snare ever

User Info Menu

The sensitone barely stands against Pearls higher up metal snares. Even the elites fail against the steel and brass Reference snare drums. However the Ludwig has been known as the industry standard metal snare drum for decades, however if you check around that price range in Pearl's stuff you may or possibly will find a better snare drum.

User Info Menu

The Luddy is spun Aluminum and is chromed. They refer to it as Luddaloy. Is the sensitone aluminum? I am not familiar with them, other than to say that at that price I would be inclined to think that it is steel. There simply is no substitute for the 402 supra. apparently the recording industry also thinks that way as well. I have seen numerous pictures of Steve Gadd with his endorsed Yamaha's with a supra on the snare stand. And on top of that he has a signiture snare from Yamaha. If you wanted a supra then I would save and get that because like I said, there really is no substitute.

User Info Menu

If it helps, I play a SupraPhonic 400 with my Luddies. I bought the kit in 1964 and the snare is every bit as awesome today as it was back then. It's a 5 1/2 X 14 with very little pitting on the outer shell. When I use it with my big band, I have a Remo Emperor batter head and use Moon Gel to soften the crack. Occasionally, I alternate with a Slingerland Maple snare 1960's vintage and that's a whole other story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The Luddy is spun Aluminum and is chromed. They refer to it as Luddaloy. Is the sensitone aluminum? I am not familiar with them, other than to say that at that price I would be inclined to think that it is steel. There simply is no substitute for the 402 supra. apparently the recording industry also thinks that way as well. I have seen numerous pictures of Steve Gadd with his endorsed Yamaha's with a supra on the snare stand. And on top of that he has a signiture snare from Yamaha. If you wanted a supra then I would save and get that because like I said, there really is no substitute.
    Never heard of the Ludalloy. I guess that's why it has its own distict sound over other metal snares. The Pearl I have pictured is steel. They do make an aluminum version but it is not chromed. I got to play a brass version and I didn't care for it.(at least compared to the Ludwig). I think I will go with my gut, spend the extra cash and get the Ludwig. Besides, you got to love that snare drum sound that John Bonham, Nick Mason and Simon Kirke had.

User Info Menu

Good for you Jrock! you won't be disappointed. Oh and Luddaloy is their industry term for their proprietary alloy for the Suprphonic series drums. They have not changed it supposedly in the last 40 years with the exception that the shells diameter is slightly smaller in dimension than the older series drums, and the hoops have remained the same size so, the result of smaller shell and unchanged hoops causes slight lug spay. It has no effect on the drums sound or utility. It is just the tunning rods spay out a little at the hoop.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys. Any drumhead or tuning suggestions for the Supraphonics?

User Info Menu

Remo coated Ambassador or Emperor, with a diplomat snare side head.

User Info Menu

sorry pearl. in this case, i go with the supra. the sensitone elite is a good drum tho. if i was going for a pearl drum to compete with the supra, it would be the ultracast aluminum snare.

User Info Menu

I was readng this again and realized I said "lug spay" I meant lug splay it was a typo sorry!

User Info Menu

I have the Sensitone and it sounds great. I've never heard the other one though. If you want to save a little cash, go with the pearl.

User Info Menu

I will second that for the Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum. I actually own a Ludwig LM400 aluminum-shell/chrome-plated. I also own two Pearl Sensitone Elite snare drums (Aluminum & the regular Steel versions). One thing I've learned is that a "higher-price" very often does not assure you a better snare drum, "especially now-a-days".

Another thing I've learned is that the kind of metal used for the drum shell doesn't always make a specific sound. For example, all though aluminum is usually associated with the thought that it will provide a very warm "naturally EQed sound", that is most definitely not always the case. I'm a die-hard fan of Ludwig - so please don't shoot me when I say this - but the LM400 in my opinion is a very, very bright, sometimes harsh sounding snare drum. In much of my experience, the LM400 has called for allot of tweaking or the application of something like a "moongel" in order to calm the brashness a bit. On the other hand, both of the Pearl Sensitone Elite snare drums that I own (especially the Aluminum version) are very warm sounding to my ears.

I've been forced to sell all my snare drums except one during a tight financial period. Which one did I end up keeping? The Aluminum Senitone Elite... One thing it doesn't do is hold its tuning as well as the Supra. But I don't mind tuning it back up every once in a while as long as my snare drum sounds great to me.

The Sensitone Elite's don't seem to have quite the high tuning range either - but to be honest - I really don't like to tune my snare drums up so, so high. Medium/High tuning is where I like it - and the Sensitone Elite's easily accomplish that.

Someday I'll buy another Ludwig metal snare drum - but the next time it's going to be something like a 14x5 brass version like the Black Beauty instead of another LM400 or LM402.

I've noticed a preconcieved notion from many folks that they seem to believe that the chrome-Supra's are all chrome. This is not true at all. The chrome is only applied to the plating (chrome-plating). For example: the LM400 is a chrome plated ALUMINUM shell. The shell is all aluminum except for a very, very thin application of chrome on the very top.

In-fact, the only big difference between the Acrolite & something like a LM400 is that the Acrolite has 8-lugs & the LM400 has 10-lugs.

I almost bought an old Acrolite several times. I bounced in & out of the idea of buying a used one - but the "supposed" more worthy older Acrolites (before the black finish) all seem to be falling apart. This could be do to the fact that the Acrolite wasn't always so sought after. Because it was just looked at as a student snare drum for so many years, there seems to be a lack of care & upkeep. I purchased a new Acrolite (blacrolite) - but returned it do to it being out of round. That's when I started looking at alternatives to the Aluminum Acrolite.

I totally agree & support anyone thinking about buying a Pearl Sensitione Elite snare drum (and double up my opinion about the aluminum version). The Aluminum version truely is an incredible snare drum, especially for only a little over $200. I think the Aluminum Elite is a great purchase for those wanting a Arolite - but who are not so crazy about the idea of paying an exuberant price for a once student snare drum now falling apart - or the newer version not quite at par. And this is coming from someone who gave up their LM400 for a Sensitone Elite.

I also played a Pearl Ultracast at a near by GuitarCente during my search for a warm sounding metal snare drum. The Ultracast is another fantastic snare drum. To be honest though, I just couldn't justify the cost difference between it & the Elite's. Maybe if cost wasn't a factor for me, well then maybe I would have bought it instead. But I really don't think so.

I eventually purchased a second Elite (this time the regular steel version). Believe it or not, the "Steel" version sounds more like my Aluminum shell LM400. It cuts more, the snare wire is louder & brighter - and the drum itself just seems louder then the Aluminum version. Which one do I like more? Both have their strong points. I usually like to hit the steel version when I'm actually "playing" my drum set - but when I'm recording (especially with close mics), I'll almost always use the Aluminum Elite. It just records so easy.