Thread: Trying to stay calm...

User Info Menu

Default Trying to stay calm...

Hey guys. I dont post too often although i frequently browse the site. So most of u probaly dont know my backround. Im 15 and started playing the drums december 30 07. I got a kit for xmas(see avatar and signature) and have been self-teaching with absolutely no lessons of any kind. i started off getting a feel for the kit and then starting to play to songs, some of my favourites being In my place by coldplay and Vindicated by dashboard confessional. Ive been progressing quite well and im loving it. I really feel like ive got a few songs nailed and its a decent effort because of my lack of guidance. Theres this girl at from school(no this isnt some romantic love story:P)whos an absolutely amazing vocalist.and her friends who are good guatarists. Basically ive got an audition on tuesday to join their band:S im seriously worried. Ive been practicing all of today but i just think after like 3 months of self teaching am i good enough or will i make a comeplete fool of myself

Basically i need some tips,should i stick to the beat or pull out some challenging fills, should i be quiet or flamboyant?Any help is much appreciated

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying to stay calm...

Hi Fox...I do recall seeing you here at times though not to often. What you are facing is something that we all have faced at one time or another. The best advice is to always stick with that which you know. As a drummer, your first and foremost obligation is to keep a steady beat. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, is more important than that. As you continue to progress, you will get to a point that you will need the guidance and instruction of a good teacher. It will be from him or her that you will learn what is is that you are doing, why you are doing it and how you continue to expand upon that. So, for now, don't worry about playing "Jaw-dropping" drum fills...you don't know how to at this point. Just be comfortable with a beat and make the others appear to be better than they are. They'll love you for that. Let us know what happens.

User Info Menu

start off slow and steady and once you feel comfortable with something build off of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ...should i stick to the beat or pull out some challenging fills, should i be quiet or flamboyant?
    Lay down the most solid groove you can first and foremost. Make the music "feel good". Keep it simple. If a drumfill fits, play it but don't force anything that doesn't come natural. Just make the music feel "real" good, have a smile on your face and let them know you're a nice guy. That's half the ballgame right there. People want to hire someone they like and can get along with, not just the guy who is best player.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Theres this girl at from school
    Fox
    Is she hot? Good luck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Trying to stay calm...

Hey, Fox--

I've seen ya in and out of DrumChat, but if I haven't done so already, welcome, mate!

Now, let me get this straight: You started playing last December 30th with no formal lessons and you're getting a chance to audition for a band? Whoa, bro'! This WOULD make a great movie! You're one lucky bloke...

Now, to your question: No matter how long you've been playin', you're always going to be a little stoked before an audition--or for that matter, any performance. It's normal and it helps you give it your best behind the drums.

While you may have a few things nailed already, I'd ask first what kind of music your bandmates are playing--that is, do you know what they play? I don't have to tell you if you're playing a slow ballad, you don't "crash, bash, thrash and splash," and vice versa. If some of their tunes are among those you learned, you can afford to be a little flashier and show your stuff. But, to borrow a line from my signature, a drummer's job is to keep the beat going.

They want to hear how your drumming ties in with their guitars and keyboard, and her vocals. Better to start a little softer and have them tell you to kick it up a notch than to crash around all over the place at full volume. For now, just do the best your can and enjoy yourself. Every one of us has a first audition...

I agree with Frank (fiacovaz) that you would do well to get a teacher to help you learn more (and unlearn some bad habits you may pick up from self-teaching). But for now, consider this a learning experience. If you make the band, I will be among the first to give you an Internet high-five! (Do let us know, okay?) If you don't, you will have learned something that will help ya down the road, and years from you can laugh about it as you help someone else.

Best of luck, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Fox, no matter what happens, use this as another learning experience. As the guys have already said, keep things simple. Your inexperience will undoubtedly show at some point, but if they like you as a person, they might be willing to let you grow with the band, as long as you show a basic ability, so don't pretend that you are something that you are not, just keep it basic, and have some fun. If it works out, great! If not, you will have had some fun, and it will be a great experience that will help you down the road.

You are in a no lose position my young friend! Enjoy!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wow,thanks for the detailed replies

To answer the questions i can remember:
    They play a lot of smshing pumpkins which theyve tweaked to go with the female vocals,so im practicing that,just got the song "siva" nailed.
    Shes ok looking not that its really relevant lol
    and i would have a drum teacher but the one ive got my heart set on is £29 an hour and my parents cant afford that along with the maths tuition im having. But after my exams in May ill be on:D
    Do u think itd be acceptable just to wack my ipod in and play to that,that way im better at time keeping and keeping exactly to the song,is that a good idea?
    And yeh ill know by tuesday so ull all know asap

Thanks again

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

First good luck on the audition. PB summed it up best. You are in a no lose situation. Be on time. Be polite. If a band member is playing something cool compliment it best you can but don't step on there solos. Guitar players hate that. When they take a solo give them a solid platform to stand on. Don't do anything but keep rock steady time. Let us know how it goes! Oh and on the lessons. I have never been a big fan of weekly lessons for drum set playing. In a half hour setting a good instructor should be able to give you a months worth of work to do. The only upside to a weekly lesson is a check up on technique. That is kinda nice but if you can swing a lesson every other month or every month you will benefit tremendously from that.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Fox, while using the i-Pod is cool for practice, I wouldn't try it during the audition. Even they're gonna play pretty darn close to the original, no live performance will ever exactly sound like the recording. You have to listen to the other bandmates, and you can't do that with the i-Pod stuck in your ears...

Again, mate, all the best to ya on that aud!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

hey ya bro! :> welcome.

Just take it easy. Dont try anything you dont know unless your feeling confident about it. First time you do it will be hard but it gets easier :>

just jam to your own music to get ideas of what you can do and put it into the songs ya play.... Just another idea :>
    Good luck bro and keep on jammin on :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Shes ok looking not that its really relevant lol
    Fox
    Oh...It is...lol.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,just had a short jamming session with the lead guitarist in my garage which which i freaking loved! first time ive played with someone else,no faffing around we got straight to it; wish you were here-incubus which id never played before and then a simplified(for drums)version of no shelter-rage against the machine. i think i improved more as a player in that half hour than i have in 3 months:D anyway he said im 99% in just need an overall band opinion. im sooo stoked its awesome,cant wait for my first gig!(fingers crossed)

Thanks again

Fox

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

Way to go Fox! And I agreed with you on the growth as a drummer. I remember how I felt after I jammed a bit with my brother (who is learning bass), and then with a few of the kids from the church. To know that you can keep the rhythm with a live musician is an awesome moment, and the confidence level begins to strengthen tremendously!

I'm sure everyone will be looking forward to hearing more about your journey!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,just had a short jamming session with the lead guitarist in my garage which which i freaking loved! first time ive played with someone else,no faffing around we got straight to it; wish you were here-incubus which id never played before and then a simplified(for drums)version of no shelter-rage against the machine. i think i improved more as a player in that half hour than i have in 3 months:D anyway he said im 99% in just need an overall band opinion. im sooo stoked its awesome,cant wait for my first gig!(fingers crossed)

Thanks again

Fox
    Glad to hear it, Fox! This could be what ya needed, mate! Rock on and rock out!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I played with a guitarist for the first time last week and I left 100% more confident. Granted he told me what to play. My biggest challenge when I play with him is to play a beat that complements his guitar playing. I guess I am not creative enough to make up my own beats.

User Info Menu

I played with a fledgling guitarist this Saturday. It was quite funny; I was trying to teach him a song that I'd written on my bass, and then I swapped to the drums to show him how I thought the beat would go; he didn't quite get the riff, so I just listened to him improv on some Radiohead style chords and put some funky marching snare drum to it, as well as some awesome Chili Pepper style chord progression and rhythm. I need a better amp though...couldn't hear much after a while >_>

Oh and for Fox; awesome that you enjoyed your jam!
    I noticed you said they've tweaked a lot of Smashing Pumpkin songs to their liking; I suggest you maybe seriously listen to and work out Jimmy Chamberlain's beats. He is one sick drummer, and if you like him and his style, might I suggest Matt Cameron from Soundgarden as well? Both drummers have their foundations in jazz, but apply them to a more rock setting, so they're incredibly technical and play a much more supportive role in their bands, rather than, say, Keith Moon, who played a pretty much lead role, or Chad Smith, who anchors the groove down.

The songs you're covering, if you're doing them correctly, are great for a drummer who's only been playing for 3 months. IMO, you should check out Bonzo, Moon and Smith; these are the three best 'rock' drummers in my honset opinion (so don't sue me for saying otherwise :( ) and if you can learn their songs, then you're well on the way to being great.

Here are some songs I recommend; you might find them difficult, but they will really help you.
    Bonzo:
    Good Times, Bad Times
    Out on The Tiles
    The Ocean
    Rock And Roll
    Black Dog

Moon:
    Baba O'Reily
    Pictures of Lily
    My Generation
    Pure And Easy
    Won't Get Fooled Again/Love Reign O'er Me

Smith:
    Give It Away (really simple song this one)
    The Greeting Song
    Charlie/Stadium Arcadium
    Californication
    By The Way

Hope that I've helped; I think you've got great potential if you're covering songs that easily.
    Last edited by Ethel_The_Frog; 03-10-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barn63 View Post
    I played with a guitarist for the first time last week and I left 100% more confident. Granted he told me what to play. My biggest challenge when I play with him is to play a beat that complements his guitar playing. I guess I am not creative enough to make up my own beats.
    Your avatar=

And to stay on topic, mate, just keep the beat going and stay in time and get a good groove going and you should be set
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have the bug. You won't believe the progress you will make with that kind of burning desire driving you. Nice going!!!!!
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Thanks ethel! thats really helpful,ill have a listen to them asap. If im honest im most into pretty heavy stuff like lamb of god or shadows fall (chris adler and jason bitner are the 2 best drummers of their kind around imo)so id love the be able to get a double bass pedal soon (hopefully in may) and start learning some more heavy stuff. but obv ive got to get the basics nailed first,so thanks

Fox

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

Hey i completely forgot to let u know that i got in :D
    i played pretty well at the audition and got the spot
    weve had 12 practices now playing a wide variety of music. Ive successfully got my influence into the band in that we now playing slightly heavier stuff.my lack of double pedal is really holding us back though,have to wait for my birthday i guess,may isnt too far away.also we now use my garage as our practice and meeting place,this is obv great for as i dont have to move anything around:D
    Thanks for all the tips that deffinately helped me get in

Fox

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

Congratulations Fox!

User Info Menu

Thanks ethel! thats really helpful,ill have a listen to them asap. If im honest im most into pretty heavy stuff like lamb of god or shadows fall (chris adler and jason bitner are the 2 best drummers of their kind around imo)so id love the be able to get a double bass pedal soon (hopefully in may) and start learning some more heavy stuff. but obv ive got to get the basics nailed first,so thanks

Fox

Hey, I'm a Bittner fan (not so much a Chris Adler one) but if you want good metal drummers, I think everyone listens to Dave Lombardo, Lars Ulrich (though he's not that good, his style is basically metal drumming 101), Joey Jordison, Mike Portnoy e.t.c
    And the drummer from Machine Head is pretty good as well, Dave McClain I think? As well as Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden, but he has a much more funkier feel than the other ones, they're all pounding beats and so on
    Not so much a metal fan anymore but there are some great metal drummers out there; the best ones though don't overuse the double bass but they just keep it simple, fast and brutal.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Yeh bitners sheer speed is awesome.But i think for attitude and overall skill adler comes out ontop.and i dont rate lars ulrich at all, joey is ok but nothing specialof course this is comparison to the best

Fox

DW7000 double pedal