Thread: Vintage Supraphonic vs. New Supraphonic

User Info Menu

Default Vintage Supraphonic vs. New Supraphonic

Hey guys, just a quick question for those of you who are versed in vintage drums...

I'm looking to buy a Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum because I've had a little cash flow recently and I can't help myself - I'm getting the gear itch...

My question is should I look for and throw down a lot of money for a vintage Supraphonic drum in great condition or should I just look for a new Supraphonic drum? What's the difference between the two? Are there any differences in sound, or is it just in looks and aesthetics?

I know, I know, you can't replace a vintage instrument and people will argue that vintage instruments have that distinct quality that new instruments don't, but I really don't want to throw down 5 or 6 hundred dollars on a vintage instrument and I don't want to have a vintage drum that has a bunch of pitting a rust.

HELP ME OUT (please)!

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage Supraphonic vs. New Supraphonic

The only difference in the drum is the badge and shell diameter. The new shells are slightly smaller in diameter than the vintage shells. Like I said earlier it causes a condition called lug splay. The tunning rods point slightly away from the shell at the top where they attach to the hoop. This condition causes no appreciable decline in sound. Some just find it objectionable in the aesthetics department.

User Info Menu

Echoes...Seems like you answered your own question by not wanting to plop down the money on something old. The vintage Supras are prone to pitting because Chrome does not adhere to the aluminum shell. My Supra, 1964, has slight pitting and that may be because I have kept it covered so much of the time. The earlier Supras were made of brass and those are the more expensive models. Your money would be well spent on that.

User Info Menu

I only bought mine vintage because it was cheaper than new, lol. But mines an 80's version and I consider older ones much higher quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I only bought mine vintage because it was cheaper than new, lol. But mines an 80's version and I consider older ones much higher quality.
    There is little to no difference in sound over the years.