Thread: Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Snare Drum

OK,Every time i hit my snare the sound is good but theres always a rattle after it, ive tried tightning it but that dosen't work
    Joe-

www.bebo.com/cleargunshot
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My Band,One Song On The Page

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Snare Drum

What have you got, snare, heads, tension, wires, throw off.....
    When was the last time you were inside it?

User Info Menu

what snare is it? does it have an internal damper [ throw it away if it does, the damper that is, not the snare] isolate the parts and test its sound,should be pretty easy to diagnose.

User Info Menu

Welcome Iamtherev great to have you here. break each piece down and try and isolate like ratmycue is describing. also check that you don't have a screw and washer come loose and sitting in the bottom of the drum from a lug or snare mounting. check all the mounting screws for the snare throw and the snare butt. post some pics if you can
    Pditty

User Info Menu

hey there Rev. I agree with the other guys in trying to isolate the rattle on your snare...just hit it a couple times before hand and make definite sure it is the snare coz it could be something near the snare reacting to its frequency...short story: for ages there was a rattle when i hit my 16" floor tom...couldnt figure out what it was until i realized it was the light above my kit...it only rattled when i hit the 16.
    And another thing....although many drummers hate the dampening pad in a snare (i used to hate them to) I actually got given a cheap second snare and love the fact it has a pad. gives a sweet different snare sound similar to a firecracker
    My Neighbours said to keep up the drumming...so i do!

Playing: Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage
    14x6 Cheap steel snare
    14x5 Wood Stage Custom snare
    10x9, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16, 20x17 bass

18" Zildjian A custom crash
    17" Zildjian A custom crash
    14" Tosco (1970's?) hats
    20" Paiste formula 602 (1960-70's??) ride
    16" Paiste 302 china (converted from crash)
    10" Sabian B8 splash

User Info Menu

Okay, since it rattles AFTER you hit the snare drum you are not talking about ambient or sympathetic vibrations. I suspect it's a metal drum you are referring to and I'm curious to know if you've removed the head and checked the tightening of the lugs. Something internal has loosened, if even only slightly. Let us know if you resolve the problem.

User Info Menu

Recently, I changed the bottom head on my snare and put on a 40 strand wire snare. What a fantastic difference this made. Also, I did not tighten the bottom head as I did before. The first thing I noticed as I played on it...no ringing and no snare buzz. My speakers are close to my kit at home and when I turned it on and played a CD, the snare did not vibrate at all. Amazing!!

User Info Menu

Funny...internal mufflers came standard equipment on Ludwigs snares, and they are still far and wide the the greatest snare drums on the planet. Why would one throw away a perfectly functioning internal muffler? The most common cause is an errant snare wire that has become bent or lost it's original tension. I read in a drum book years ago, to alway disengage snares when not in use to save tension on the little springs. Usually can be remedied by removing rogue snare wire with cutters. When too many are missing, replace the whole snare set.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have an internal muffler on my Supra 402 that I really like, I still use it all the time depending on where I am playing and how much dampening I want or don't want.

User Info Menu

try duct tape or moon gel along w/ tightening the wires on the snare

User Info Menu

i agree with deathmetaldrummer i believe its the snare wires.they are too loose on the snare so they rattle when you play.i hear about this alot.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

http://www.drum-tuning.com
    try this link. its only about snare tuning
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

That snare tuning video is great. Thanks for the link :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

It's gotta be the drum key sitting on a lug. Take it off.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have the same sound it happens when your internal damper is either to tight or to loose... It made a metal like buzz sound. I fixed the problem by adding axle grease on the arm and screw... you must keep ajusting the damper as you add the grease. Another benefit to this is it protects the thing from moister.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum fusion View Post
    http://www.drum-tuning.com
    try this link. its only about snare tuning
    great video, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by rush_fan; 04-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.