Thread: How do you hear the drum intro to rock and roll/Zeppelin

User Info Menu

Default How do you hear the drum intro to rock and roll/Zeppelin

Hi First post here.I'm a bass player who got into a discusion about this and wanted a number of drummers opinions.

How do you hear the drum intro to rock and roll? More importantly do you have any knowledge of how Bonzo intended it.

I have 2 ways I can wrap my ears around it.

4 bars of 4 with a Pick up of 3/8 notes. This Puts the second snare drum on One a makes a Simple 4 bar phrase.

Or.........2 bars of 4,1 bar of 7/8,1 bar of 4,1 bar of 2/4

This makes a more complex yet still very musical way to hear it.

Andrew

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How do you hear the drum intro to rock and roll/Zeppelin

Hey, zootsuitbass! Welcome aboard, man!

To me, the drum intro sounds like your first choice..."Rock and Roll" is a hard-driving, straight-ahead rocker, and they use that same riff between verses on "been a lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time," so unless Bonzo pulled a fast one on all of us, I think he'd have kept it pretty straightforward!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you hear the drum intro to rock and roll/Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, zootsuitbass! Welcome aboard, man!

To me, the drum intro sounds like your first choice..."Rock and Roll" is a hard-driving, straight-ahead rocker, and they use that same riff between verses on "been a lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time," so unless Bonzo pulled a fast one on all of us, I think he'd have kept it pretty straightforward!
    I agree, and I guarantee he didn't analyze it that much, he just laid it down.
    Thge crucial thing is that the guitarist and bassist know when you hit the ONE that they come in on... As long as they can recognize the 4 measures of 4, they will know when to start; that way if you miss a note or vary it up a little bit they will still know when to join in...

User Info Menu

im gonna have to go with BB on this one its the four bar with a pickup
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I know how to play it.
    But I have no idea what you're saying @_@
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I know how to play it.
    But I have no idea what you're saying @_@
    Me too Ethel, I have played that song on and off for years and I did it the hard way with head phones and practice and I play it just like it was recorded. In all reality if you sloshed the high hat and played any variation of that intro no one but other drummers who have had to learn it know the difference.

User Info Menu

Hey there Zootsuit! Welcome to Drum Chat. Since drummers are supposed to lock in with the bass player, it's always nice to have a bass player around the place. I hope you'll come by often!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!