Thread: Kick drum beater bouncing

User Info Menu

Default Kick drum beater bouncing

I've been having some issues with my kick drum beater (single) bouncing when trying to play a single note. I've been playing with the spring tension, beater angle, beater height, kick drum angle, footboard angle and throne height. I can't seem to figure out the exact cause. Could it be the batter head tension or internal dampning, technique? I don't know.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick drum beater bouncing

its just rebound of the batter head most likely so you batter head is probably to tight, or you could just slam you foot on the pedal and it wont have tha ability to bounce but i wouldnt sugjest that
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

It happens once in a while to me but only during successive double base or alternating double base and single hit. When I hit the first time I pull back my foot and loose contact with the pedal and this allows some back and forth movement of the pedal. I am not able to totally eliminate it but was able to reduce it by adjusting the spring tension and angle of the beater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    you could just slam you foot on the pedal and it wont have tha ability to bounce but i wouldnt sugjest that
    This is an option my instructor told me, to bury the beater on the drum head, but once you use successive base hits be it double base or 16th notes it is hard to recover for the next hit....of course, it can be overcome with practice.

User Info Menu

i'm going with davie here. try loosening the batter.

User Info Menu

I'll try loosening the batter head.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I know that not everyone likes it , but I found that when I cut a port hole in my resonant BD head that kick back/bouncing kinda ......well........stopped.

Unsure if ya want to go to that extreme at this point
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    I know that not everyone likes it , but I found that when I cut a port hole in my resonant BD head that kick back/bouncing kinda ......well........stopped.

Unsure if ya want to go to that extreme at this point
    I would agree wotto, put a port in, or don't bury the beater in the head. After you hit it back off and don't leave the beater against the head. I had the same problem and just changed my technique a little and the problem was solved. I am an advocate of a little tension on the bass drum head they sound more punchy that way. but with that came the above problem so I changed my technique and fixed the problem

User Info Menu

Venting the Bass is a great suggestion If you don't want the hole in the front head you can add additional vent holes by buying additional threaded vents and use a power drill to drill the additional vents in. Either way of venting the air out of the drum will make it less balloon like.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pditty View Post
    Venting the Bass is a great suggestion If you don't want the hole in the front head you can add additional vent holes by buying additional threaded vents and use a power drill to drill the additional vents in. Either way of venting the air out of the drum will make it less balloon like.
    Power drill?

User Info Menu

There you go Pditty, now you'll have guys tearing their lacquer and wrap finishes all up with a power drill and will be blaming you for it

User Info Menu

should I set it on hammer drill setting to make sure I get through it?

User Info Menu

Ya if your no good with a drill have the common sense not to add additional vents. With a good carbide tip and some skill you will not have any finish issues. Basic wood working skills apply. Pre mark with an awl to reduce tendency for drill to walk on ya.

Sorry to work folks up with my suggestion. Just how I approached the issue. This is how the manufacture deals with this issue so my suggestion is not without merit or validity. If you want to mitigate the risk put the vents in the bottom of the kick drum. Folks over at drumshed.org would get a kick out of adding a vent being a big issue.

Having guys cut holes in the front of there heads is not a risk free endeavor and some guys might not like that look. Guy or gal on Drum Chat here paid 250 bucks for a custom Beatles bass drum head. Someone with a custom front head may not want to cut it up.

If you ruin the front head on your bass you should not blame backtodrum for his suggestion as its a good suggestion. You just didn't implement it properly.
    Last edited by pditty; 03-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,

I did a couple of things to fix the problem. First I loosened the batter head tension just slightly. Then I cut a 6" hole the resonent head, which made a huge difference. I also reduced the spring tension on my kick pedal to about medium.

My kick drum now feels and sounds awsome!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer6677 View Post
    I've been having some issues with my kick drum beater (single) bouncing when trying to play a single note. I've been playing with the spring tension, beater angle, beater height, kick drum angle, footboard angle and throne height. I can't seem to figure out the exact cause. Could it be the batter head tension or internal dampning, technique? I don't know.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue. Thanks.
    You didn't mention the brand of pedal you are using. I use the Tama Iron Cobra PowerGlide and had the same issue you described. I solved that my tightening the spring tension. That made me work my foot harder and gave me all the control I need over the pedal. I have since loosened the tension and am able to incorporate the rebound within my particular patterns. Tighten or loosen the batter head only for the purpose of tuning the drum.

User Info Menu

One more thing, lower the beater shaft on your pedal...short stroke it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    its just rebound of the batter head most likely so you batter head is probably to tight, or you could just slam you foot on the pedal and it wont have tha ability to bounce but i wouldnt sugjest that
    HOLA como estas DRUMMERDAVIE *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT POINT & also just GETTING MORE CONTROL with your FEET TECHNIQUES ***GRACIAS