Thread: How to contact other amateur musicians?

User Info Menu

Default How to contact other amateur musicians?

Hi,

I've been playing the drums now for about 6 months. My drum teacher has told me that I should get together with other musicians about the same ability as myself and play for fun.

He has said that as soon as his other pupils of any standard have done this, their playing ability has dramatically improved.

Now this is easy if you are a teenager as just about every youngster with a guitar wants to play in a band and they all need a drummer.

My problem is that I'm pushing 60 years of age and would like to play with other guys (or gals) nearer my own age. There is a programme in the U.K. called 'Weekend Warriors' which puts older musicians together into a band and that would be ideal. Unfortunately, this is in England and I'm based in Scotland.

Can anyone suggest ways in which I can get in touch with other people like myself, who play other instruments but not to a very high standard, who would like to simply jam together at weekends?

Thanks,

Paul.

Gifts for Musicians

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to contact other amateur musicians?

Check with your local music store many of them have bullitin boards where you can post and ad, kind of a musicians looking for musicians type forum.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Hey Dunplaying

Nice post.
    I have been wondering the same thing lately.
    I am 42years old.

I was going to put an ad in our local community paper, just a cheap 2 line ad for about 20 bucks or so.

Might be worth a shot too?

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Craigslist has a list for local muscians to chat !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

My suggestion is this....Buy a bass guitar and guitar or cheap keyboard and couple of amps. Stick the instruments in the hands of a couple of your best friends...and say..."Here, learn these!...we're gonna start a band!!!"

all the best...

User Info Menu

bulletin boards at colleges also seem to be good places to look, and net work at local spots that offer live music. Praise bands are always seeking musicians. I seem to be asked at least two or three times a month to sit in around town with someones praise bands. It seems there is more and more Christian Church's that are putting that type music into their ministries.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips.

The most interesting one I've received (althought not on this forum) is to go for electric guitar lessons with as many guitarists offering them.

Then, on the first lesson with each, mention that I play drums (a bit). I've been assured that at least one guitarist will know someone who needs a drummer, no matter how bad.

It might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    My suggestion is this....Buy a bass guitar and guitar or cheap keyboard and couple of amps. Stick the instruments in the hands of a couple of your best friends...and say..."Here, learn these!...we're gonna start a band!!!"

all the best...
    my friends actually did that to me 4 years ago. It was like yo man we need a drummer go get a kit and start learning! I was 15 that time and wasn't interested in drumming so I just laughed and turned down, funny though years later I realized I love drumming and did start learning.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How to contact other amateur musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Craigslist has a list for local muscians to chat !
    dunplaying, while I don't think there's a British counterpart to craigslist, you might check similar websites that work in your region.

That's how I came in contact with the two guys with whom I play in a band now...

and BTW, good for you for lookin'! I'll be 56 in June, and we're proof that you're never too old to rock!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Craig's List, bandmix.com.....do a google search for musicians in your town, or nearby towns and see if anything pops up. The suggestion about church bands is also good, and Christian rock can be every bit as complex as most any style of rock, just the lyrics are different.

I agree with your instructor 100% - nothing helps you to sharpen your skills like playing with other musicians. I am in two bands, but I'm asked to jam with guys occasionally, and I always accept when I'm available. It gives you the opportunity to play odd time signatures, offbeat stuff, music that you're not accustomed to playing, and it stretches you as a musician. And when you're just jamming, it's okay to make mistakes, because everyone else will too. And trust me, I'm NOT THAT GOOD! LOL. I just love to play!

I don't know how it works in Scotland, but here people post things for sale or items wanted on bulletin boards in the grocery stores. Get creative, ask friends or neighbors if they know anyone.

And if none of that works, you can always ask to audition for these guys:

http://thereallyterribleorchestra.com/ What a hoot!

Once you start networking with people, you'd be surprised at the opportunities that will present themselves. Hey, I'm 54, and I know a guy who's 65 that is a really good jazz drummer, and he gigs as much as he wants to, so age is definitely not a factor. You might not find 20 somethings that want you in their band, but believe me there are plenty of older guys out there that love to rock!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I would post an ad by a guitar teacher's room and see who answers. Check out open mic night. You may or may not want to perform, but you can see what is happening in your area.