Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW kit? y or n

User Info Menu

Default DW kit? y or n

i just want to know what you have to say about ur DW kit if you own one.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW kit? y or n

Cant help ya there , I have a Ludwig . The main thing is do you like the way it sounds , cause thats what really counts .

Welcome to the board , wait and see if others chime in , maybe someone will let you know how they like theirs.

User Info Menu

What is to say, they are great drums, you can argue they are too expensive etc. But I think that it is an established fact that they are very well made good sounding, an d beautifully finished drums. If you purchased a kit I am almost sure that you won't be disappointed.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think everyone accepts DW as the standard by which all other kits are judged. That's not to say that there aren't other great kits out there - custom and otherwise.

The important thing is to decide what type wood you want your drums shells made out of. That, and drum heads will go a long way to determining the sound of your drums, so you want to take your sticks to the store, and listen to as many drums as you can. Find your sound; the one you like the best. Only then will you love the sound of whatever drums you buy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

DW doesn't have a dealer in the Philippines so I don't think I'll ever see a whole kit... and people say they are expensive. well they're not on the internet so I don't know the real price. are they more expensive than the Pearl Masterworks?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

DW's are expensive for the simple fact that they are made of high quality materials and labor right here in the U.S. They do not skimp on the material or plys. We have domestic brands that are produced off-shore and imported back in to the U.S. They are made of the same wood but not with the same care and/or quality. It's a question of economics...are we content to pay for DW quality or do we compromise for slightly lesser quality in order to save our money. By the way, I have played on several Ludwigs, PDP and Gretsch kits in the lower price line and they are not bad drums at all. Mapex is now producing them as is Sonor and Yamaha. I am not a professional musician nor is it likely that I will get any sponsorship. So, if I were in the market, as much as I'd love to have a set of DW's, I know I couldn't afford them and still be able to afford decent hardware and cymbals too.

User Info Menu

Just to add they are on the internet andrew,here are some at my local(ish)drum shop http://www.birminghamdrumcentre.co.uk/drumkits.asp?c=8

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

I went through the same decision making process about DW and their prices; I ended up getting the PDP kit (basically the same stuff mass produced in Mexico). I'm happy with it...

User Info Menu

DWs are made in Oxnard California which is one of the most expensive places in the United States to do business, Both from a workman's compensation law and tax situation, not to mention environmental laws, Insurance liability, etc. Orange county is one of the most expensive counties in the nation to live in from a cost of living standpoint. So DW's wages are probably twice what the are in other areas. The simple fact of economics that fiacovoz eluded too also drives the price of the finished product. DW' s are fine drums to be sure, but some of their cost is driven by where they are manufactured.

Also they are not sold on line here in the United States because of an agreement with their domestic dealers that they would not sell over the Internet and compete directly with their dealers.

User Info Menu

Oh, and BTW Drumguy4, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I love my DW's, I've had my 6pc Collectors since 98. The only problem I hear about them is that they sound too perfect hehe. Blessings.....

ThePloughman Guest

I dont own DW. drums. I do own DW hardware. And maybe the only production drums that compare equally with DW. Ayotte Custom, out of Canada.

Why NOT DW? You cant buy better. You can probably buy as good for less, but you dont have DW behind those either. For dependability, service, longevity, go with DW.

User Info Menu

good drums, but would prolly be 3rd or 4th on my list.

User Info Menu

Not at the top of my wish list but they look good enough to me, pretty dang expensive though- to quote everyone else in this thread.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I have played on several DW kits. Much like Yamaha recording custom when they first came on the scene, the company gave out endorsements like free samples at the grocery store and advertised. The DW's are better quality than Yammy's but are not god like be all and end all of drums. The promotion in my eyes was bigger than the product.

User Info Menu

when i saw this i just said F Y!!!!!!

DW are every drummers dream. Would have to be cream of the crop! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Re: DW kit? y or n

I would go with PB on his suggestion: DW's are the Cadillacs of the drumkit world because 1) they sound great; 2) they look cool and 3) they evoke great emotion among drummers (stevo's post, for example)...

But if you're buyin DW's just to impress other people, you're buyin' them for the wrong reason. Play DW's and play other kits. As he said, the wood used for the shellpacks and the heads used can make too seemingly-identical kits sound totally different. A DW may be the best kit you can buy if it gives ya the sound you want, but don't sell the other makes short...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanks everyone

User Info Menu

the round lugs look so cool. they make the kit look a hundred times better but If i ever buy an expensive kit it's gonna be a pearl
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Well I've had my DW kit for around a year now (having used Pearl Masters Custom before that) and I'm thrilled with it to be honest.

It took 3 months from order for them to arrive, as I'd ordered a specific finish which wasn't available here in the UK at the time, but it was well worth the wait.

I've found the bass drum to be particularly good - slightly deeper than my previous BD and the difference is very noticeable...a lovely, reassuring thud with a Powerstroke on it!

I've put Ambassador coated heads on my 6 toms and they're just the business!

Yes, they're pricey (for the reasons stated above) but I know now that this is the last drum set I'll buy - really impressed with the hardware too, by the way...very chunky!!

DW's aren't for everyone, but for what I need (depth, volume, durability, tone etc etc) they're perfect. I also have to say that all the sound engineers I've worked with in studios and at gigs have remarked on how great the drums sound and how easy they are to mic up...so it's not just me!!

Hope that helps drumguy4!

Cheers

Ian ('Peter' in DTK)
    www.dressedtokill.org.uk
    The World's Longest Running KISS tribute band - Alive since 1990!!

User Info Menu

I had a 1999 DW Collectors Kit for a few years and sold it off to get a second Pearl MMX Maple Custom.

DW kits are good when you want a deep, punchy, bass sound with lots of projection. The hardware has its advantages and disadvantages. The finishes are very nice but overpriced. BTW the quality control isn't as good as you'd expect for the price. I've seen plenty of DW finish ply kits with terrible seams.
    When (and only when) your going for a flashy rock kit and will pay extra for it, DW is tops.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Where BigTallG when you need him?

...anyway...

My son has a seven piece DW. It's extreamly nice. The sound is very deep and resonant and they are jewel like in appearance. They're too nice to gig with, unless you are a professional musician (IMO).

User Info Menu

I recently sold my DW kit which I did like , sounded fine ,but after owning quite a few set over the years, well, other sets are just as good.
    My Yamaha Recording Customs are sweet and are more flexible in head choice/tuning. The Yamaha hardware , especially the tom mounts , makes adjustments a snap ( you can even flip the toms upside down to do a quick tuning adjustment to the reso heads.
    So , fellas, the DW's are really nicely finished and they sound great to me. But dont feel you have to buy them to get a great sound. LOTs of drums are just as good and can save you some hard earned $$

"Your Brain on Drums",
    BL

User Info Menu

I have a beautiful Gretsch Renown shellpack and I love the look and sound of these drums. But just recently I was in a drum store and this snare drum caught my eye. I asked a few questions on the forum about it because I didn't know much about DW Collector's series drums. I bought it and now I'm using it in my kit (replaced my Gretsch Renown African Mahogany for a while to give it a real good workout). It's a beautiful drum to play, hold and look at. I paid a little more than what people on the drum forums thought I should be paying for it because the retailer wouldn't budge much. I'm glad I bought it.

My opinion on DW, at least the DW I own, is they're worth what ever you're willing to pay for the beautiful drum(s) that they are!

Black Oyster Glass 14x5 DW Collector's Series
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'll take a vintage 3ply Ludwig kit over DW anyday.