Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Story Behind Your Drum(s)?

User Info Menu

Default What's The Story Behind Your Drum(s)?

Yesterday, I took my 1964 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 snare drum to a local drum shop to get a new resonant head and snare wires. The owner is a Ludwig aficionado and was glad to be handling this for me. We chatted while he worked on removing the torn snare head. He interrupted his work to ask me when I had purchased this drum and if this was, indeed, the snare drum I had purchased. I assured him that it was the drum I had bought back in 1964 and it has never been outside of my possession. He then asked me if I knew who RL was and pointed to the inscribed initials on the inside of the shell. I took a close look and there they were, the letters RL neatly scripted and scratched into the interior shell. He mentioned that as a practice, signatures were not inscribed inside the drum shells. He smiled and said that this added a "Mysterious" dimension to my drum. It was enough for him that I am the original owner of my Ludwig classic drum set BUT, now to discover that I may not have been the original owner of the snare drum. I cannot think of anyone I may have known with the initials RL. Was the drum switched out for someone else's drum? Was it a stock drum that was swapped for the one I had ordered factory direct? I had purchased the set through my drum teacher and that had to be ordered since he never stocked any new drum kits. It had taken about 4 months for my drums to arrive by rail from Chicago to Binghamton, NY. When the set arrived at the drum studio, it was in immaculate condition and the snare shone brightly like the chrome it is. It may be hard to imagine but, I have never taken a look inside the shell. On occasion I had replaced a torn snare head but never went beyond removing the lugs, old head, fitting the new head and tensions lugs. I had no idea that there may be someone's initials inscribed inside that drum. As the owner told me once he replaced the head...a little Mystery makes this all the more interesting. So, dear reader, what story or stories might there be about your drums? I love a good mystery.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's The Story Behind Your Drum(s)?

I'm thinking an emploiyee on the line at Ludwig...In those days, in the middle of Beatlemania etc...there may have been a chance a snare with your initials inside could wind up in the hands of someone famous. As plausible an explanation as`any to your mystery.

all the best...

User Info Menu

i bought my drums about 4 years ago from a guy named derek sharp who is the the owner of supersonic music and treehouse custom drums in topeka Ks. he used to be a partner and builder with C&C custom drums. he bought them brand new in 1992 and added on several pieces over the next 2 years. it was what he bought himself when he started making money with his store and went for his dream kit. at the time i had not had a kit for about 6 years, and was shopping for a mid-priced kit. i jokingly asked if he would finance on the 7pc that he had in the store and he said ok. he had 5 more matching pieces that his son was using and i eventually got them out of him about a year later.

User Info Menu

And that is one beautiful you're sitting behind!!

User Info Menu

why, thank you.

User Info Menu

i have no idea what the story is behind my cheapo kit, and i dont care. i hate it

User Info Menu

nothing special about my drums. It's a floor model at the store and I was choosing between a Pearl forum or that Yamaha forum. The store had Pearl a Endorsers poster and one of the I saw Flo so I picked the Pearl
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Yesterday, I took my 1964 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 snare drum to a local drum shop to get a new resonant head and snare wires. The owner is a Ludwig aficionado and was glad to be handling this for me. We chatted while he worked on removing the torn snare head. He interrupted his work to ask me when I had purchased this drum and if this was, indeed, the snare drum I had purchased. I assured him that it was the drum I had bought back in 1964 and it has never been outside of my possession. He then asked me if I knew who RL was and pointed to the inscribed initials on the inside of the shell. I took a close look and there they were, the letters RL neatly scripted and scratched into the interior shell. He mentioned that as a practice, signatures were not inscribed inside the drum shells. He smiled and said that this added a "Mysterious" dimension to my drum. It was enough for him that I am the original owner of my Ludwig classic drum set BUT, now to discover that I may not have been the original owner of the snare drum. I cannot think of anyone I may have known with the initials RL. Was the drum switched out for someone else's drum? Was it a stock drum that was swapped for the one I had ordered factory direct? I had purchased the set through my drum teacher and that had to be ordered since he never stocked any new drum kits. It had taken about 4 months for my drums to arrive by rail from Chicago to Binghamton, NY. When the set arrived at the drum studio, it was in immaculate condition and the snare shone brightly like the chrome it is. It may be hard to imagine but, I have never taken a look inside the shell. On occasion I had replaced a torn snare head but never went beyond removing the lugs, old head, fitting the new head and tensions lugs. I had no idea that there may be someone's initials inscribed inside that drum. As the owner told me once he replaced the head...a little Mystery makes this all the more interesting. So, dear reader, what story or stories might there be about your drums? I love a good mystery.
    HOLA como estas FIACOVAZ(FRANK) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) You Expressed Your words Within A STYLE of A RHAPSODIST as IT AND IS (WAS) A Very INTRIGUEING Within A MYSTERIOUS
    LABRINTH of DEPTH like A ABYSSNESS of THE UNKNOWN Which MAKES FOR YOUR OWN UNIQIE CREATIVE ARTISTRY within (YOUR) STORY..OF YOUR MEMORY of THAT MOMENT of TIME **GRACIAS for TELLING Your STORY MI-
    AMIGO **Loved THE JOURNEY ***

User Info Menu

My current kit is new. I have yet to make a great story with it.

I wish I knew the history of my premier kit. All I know is it came from a recording studio before I got it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Ah... this kit is nothing fancy or even incredible to listen to and play, however it is very special to me. This kit belonged to my dad. It is a 1975 Majestic DeLuxe...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

Story about my drums. Well I found mine for sale on eBay for a KILLER DEAL. So I got them. And the drums are one of the reasons why my fiancé left me. I spent money on drums and not our wedding. oh well. Someday a girl will appreciate me for my drums...lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigdumbmoose51 View Post
    Ah... this kit is nothing fancy or even incredible to listen to and play, however it is very special to me. This kit belonged to my dad. It is a 1975 Majestic DeLuxe...
    That makes it all the more treasurable. My dad passed away eleven years ago and I have his big roll around tool chest and all of his tools. He was a machinist and had all kinds of odds and ends in there. And a lot of stuff from his dad. I leave it exactly as it was and have not moved a thing. I let my kids look through it and use things as long as it is put back just like they found it. I keep it that way in his honor and for the memories. treasure the drums, it is nice to have something that meant a lot to your father to share, it makes it all the more special. For those of you that have your parents still here with you, treasure the moments with them. I miss my folks more than ever now and both have passed more than ten years ago. Sorry to get all sentimental on you all!

User Info Menu

I bought my drums from a co worker. They sat in a closet in our shop for a year. I would constantly bug him to set them up and I would play bass with him. He kept saying no. Turns out he only took a couple lessons and didn't have much interest in them. So I offered him $$$ and he took it. They are in great shape. So one day I showed him a pic from my phone and he got a little jealous. I don't get it, but if you knew him you would agree. He says he is happy that I got them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigdumbmoose51 View Post

I agree with BTD...treasure your dad's set as you would your own. Every time you sit behind that kit will be a gift from your dad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barn63 View Post
    Story about my drums. Well I found mine for sale on eBay for a KILLER DEAL. So I got them. And the drums are one of the reasons why my fiancé left me. I spent money on drums and not our wedding. oh well. Someday a girl will appreciate me for my drums...lol
    Now That's a story!!

User Info Menu

How insensitive of her. I mean really I can't imagine her being at all upset. That is a great story though!

User Info Menu

I am sure you didn't get mad when she spent money on her "toys".

User Info Menu

Wow guys, some pretty deep, emotional and mysterious stories there. There really is not much of a story to my drums besides that I absolutely fell in love with them when I bought them and set them up at home.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Ditto LW, although the kits we are playing now just might end up being our kid's story some day!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Ditto LW, although the kits we are playing now just might end up being our kid's story some day!
    HOLA Como estas *PASTOR_BOB CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) THAT COULD JUST Happen *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Hey PB, now that would be absolutely awesome, mate.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I know my son will get my kit in a couple of years and then I will sell my wife, that when I give my current kit to him, I will get to purchase a new DW collectors kit to replace them for me. I have rehearsed how that conversation is going to go probably a thousand times already.

User Info Menu

I undertsand!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm the only musician in my family...neither of my sons have ventured beyond basic elementary school band lessons. However, my younger son did ask me once what plans I might have for my drums when I get told for them. I told him that I hadn't thought that far ahead. He asked if he could have them. I asked why and he said...he might have a son/daughter some day and they might want to play them. That could be be a legacy given their Vintage history. What do you guys/gals think?

User Info Menu

It would be a shame for anything else to happen to them fiacovoz. Too much history there.