Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and How many Gretsch players are on this Forum?

User Info Menu

Default and How many Gretsch players are on this Forum?

I'm enjoying the How Many Pearl Drummers.......thread started by "drummer"

Thought I'd start one for Gretsch players.

How many are out there?
    How'd you get started playing Gretsch, why and when?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: and How many Gretsch players are on this Forum?

Count me in I really enjoy my Gretsch set!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Kona, I'm a Gretsch guy. I play the Catalina Maple series in "Deep Amber" finish. It's a 6 Piece kit; a fusion lit with an extra free 16X16 floor tom. I considered a number of different kits, and went through the prcess of narrowing down my choices by deciding what shell wood was the most pleasing to my ears. I also am partial to natural woodgrain finish on drums, so that narrowed things down to a Sonor Force 3500, and the Gretsch Catalina Maple. For a while I was leaning toward the Sonor kit, but then I had the opportunity to play the Gretsch kit, and from the moment I put a stick to the 14X6 snare, I was in love with the tone. Sure, I agonized a bit longer between the 2 kits (the Sonor was a natural woodgrain, and a solid company), but their snare was 14X5, and I loved the lower pitch of the 14X6. Ultimately, it was just about an act of God that made my decision. I have been playing for almost a year now, and I have never been happier. Everyone who hears my Gretsch kit, falls in love with "That Great Gretsch Sound."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i don't own any, but have played several. i have alot of respect for every gretsch kit i've played.

User Info Menu

Hi all-

This looked like the best thread for my first official post!

I have an old 4 piece round badge kit that I'll never get rid of - blue sparkle!
    12/14/20 w/ matching snare.

I've tweaked the hardware configuration to my liking, but I have (almost) all of the original parts. At one point I picked up a 13" tom, but it doesn't quite match and I rarely use it. I'll post some pics over in the other thread later tonight

I've used this kit for all styles of music over the year and it's been incredibly versatile for me.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Grissom, one Gretsch guy to another!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    Hi all-

This looked like the best thread for my first official post!

I have an old 4 piece round badge kit that I'll never get rid of - blue sparkle!
    12/14/20 w/ matching snare.

I've tweaked the hardware configuration to my liking, but I have (almost) all of the original parts. At one point I picked up a 13" tom, but it doesn't quite match and I rarely use it. I'll post some pics over in the other thread later tonight

I've used this kit for all styles of music over the year and it's been incredibly versatile for me.
    Looking forward to the photos. Sounds like a really fine kit!
    Gary

User Info Menu

i dont have one but i do love the greatch club kits my local gc has a birch one in small sizes 12x10 14x14 18x16bass or something like that and i realy like it. it opens up well with each strike and when you realy lay into a grove it sounds great, the shells even respond to brushes. if i have to sell my massive rockstar kit when i leave home ill get one of these little babys (maybe add a second floor tom.)
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

This didn't show up in the other thread - I'll post one pic hre (hopefully):

User Info Menu

Grissom

That is a beauty! Nice setup too! Love that finish.

I remember those wing-type bass drum tuning lugs - there were some like that on my old Gretsch kit that I bought new in 1969.
    This is one of only two photos I have of that kit (we didn't take many photos back then). The photo is blurry too, but you can still see that tuning lug if you look closely.

Notice the Caroline ASBA bass drum pedal - made in France.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Bought a set of natural maple power toms in 1983, 10,12,14,16 20. Had them on the road for a good 10 years, the 14 was never right tuning wise, but it was a great all around kit. I will scan an old photo sometime and post.

User Info Menu

wow grissom those are some nice drums

User Info Menu

Thanks guys - I have some other posts with more pics pending in the Show Us your Drums thread - They should be up soon.

Kona - nice pic of the old kit - too bad you don't still have them around. What was the name of that color? BTW - Thanks for the ASBA note - that is a co. I had never heard of... Sounds like it would be rare to have around today.

I bought mine used from a pawn shop on campus at Ohio State when I was still in high school. One of my drum teachers hooked me up with the kit and it was the best $300 I have ever spent...

I still remember the first time we took the heads of off of the kit to give it an overhaul and check things out. Even 20 years later I swear we could still smell the paint fumes... The bass and floor tom still had the original heads when I bought it!

User Info Menu

I play Gretsch, Sonor, & Slingerland Drums. What do I like best? All three are great drums but the Sonor and Gretsch are the new guys on the block so they have features not found on the Slingerlands. Yea I like them all but right now I have the Sonor kit in the band trailer. I just got these a month ago but until then the Gretsch kit was my main stay and is receiving a much deserved rest.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

I still remember the first time we took the heads of off of the kit to give it an overhaul and check things out. Even 20 years later I swear we could still smell the paint fumes... The bass and floor tom still had the original heads when I bought it![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that great gretsch smell, I can still remember the smell when I unpackaged my new kit, shipped directly from the factory. I have never got that odour from any other kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    Thanks guys - I have some other posts with more pics pending in the Show Us your Drums thread - They should be up soon.

Kona - nice pic of the old kit - too bad you don't still have them around. What was the name of that color? BTW - Thanks for the ASBA note - that is a co. I had never heard of... Sounds like it would be rare to have around today.

I bought mine used from a pawn shop on campus at Ohio State when I was still in high school. One of my drum teachers hooked me up with the kit and it was the best $300 I have ever spent...

I still remember the first time we took the heads of off of the kit to give it an overhaul and check things out. Even 20 years later I swear we could still smell the paint fumes... The bass and floor tom still had the original heads when I bought it!

Grissom - What a deal for $300 and what a great find! They're nice to look at and I'll bet great to play. I really like that finish. I have some matching drumsticks actually!
    photo attached - VATER Color Wrap 5A Blue.......Just bought the DW snare yesterday (it's in another thread "thinking of buying this drum - is it a good deal?").

There is a photo of a Asba pedal here:
    http://www.asbadrums.com/reference/caroline.htm

Those Gretsch drums were, can you believe it, Pink Satin Flame! It was a beautiful finish - looked stunning under lights, in just right lighting, AND it was the only Gretsch kit in the store at the time.
    Last edited by kona; 03-16-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction
    Gary

User Info Menu

I am a Gretsch-nik as well. Bought most of my stuff before the expansion into the off-shore lines. Also have a Gretsch electric guitar. Their stuff has a certain charm that seems over and above the obvious of looking and sounding great! Many thanks to the Monkees for introducing me to such an iconic brand...

all the best...

User Info Menu

greatch player here as well
    i have a catalina club mod
    just loved the sound from the second i put a stick to it
    ever since then
    ive never been happier
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Im a pearl/roland player.... but i also love gretsch.... They make great drums and kudo's to them :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Im a pearl/roland player.... but i also love gretsch.... They make great drums and kudo's to them :>
    Stevo42w
    Pearl has great hardware and drums - love it!
    I have lots of Pearl stuff with my Getsch kit:
    Pearl hatstand, snare stand, a cymbal arm, Ash woodblock (great sound), Pearl wrist watch collector kit and Pearl Tambourine with quickstand. AND I will problably be buying a Pearl dbl pedal - 2002b.....................and...on...and...on until I eventually buy the drums!
    Gary

User Info Menu

I do not play gretch right now but i really love these drums!!!
    I hope that i will buy a Renown Maple...because sounds SO AMAZING!
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

HBdrummer Guest

Just joined the fold with this lil monster...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'll have to say that I am amazed at the HUGE sound I'm getting from this little drumkit!
    Last edited by HBdrummer; 03-31-2008 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I had one of these.....Maple Renowns...

up until a few weeks ago.

I had it since last fall and never really warmed up to it. I don't suppose latching on to a set of Mapex Saturns had anything to do with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I had one of these.....Maple Renowns...

up until a few weeks ago.

I had it since last fall and never really warmed up to it. I don't suppose latching on to a set of Mapex Saturns had anything to do with it.
    I was looking at a Mapex Saturn kit just before I settled on my Gretsch Renown. The Mapex are great drums - like all mid-to top-of-the line kits. They have some spectacular finishes too. But, in the end it was a toss up between DW and Gretsch for me - I'm happy with the Gretsch (and.....I like my DW add-on snare). Gretsch only made 60 of the African Mahogany shellpacks like I now have. Glad I "latched onto" one of them!

RIGHT OUTA THE BOX LAST AUGUST....
    Last edited by kona; 03-10-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edited some text
    Gary

HBdrummer Guest

Nice Gretschs kona!! -HB
    I bet they thunder!! 30deg or 45 deg edges?? Love my mahogany drums!!