Thread: Over the bar fills

User Info Menu

Default Over the bar fills

Anyone got any advice on these? They sound really good when pulled off right.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Shazane Guest

Default Re: Over the bar fills

What do you mean exactly?

User Info Menu

When you get to "4", just keep on going! LOL

Seriously, it's not that hard. It just takes a little practice. Start with just one beat over the bar line and then go to 2, and then 3, and so on. It's best to practice with a drum machine that can lay down "1" for you.

User Info Menu

As long as you know where you are in the count, anything is possible.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Shazane Guest

Oh, I think I understand, I have done some of that recently, it's just important that you come back in at the right place.

User Info Menu

i like to go half or even a full measure before or after the typical fill. just to drive the strings nutz. some good examples found on many WHO songs.....MOONIESTYLE. check the end of behind blue eyes.

User Info Menu

What I like about playing over the bar line is its something that you can tastefully use anywhere. As long as it musically fits the song (how many times have I said that?), than go for it.

User Info Menu

Also, don't forget... you don't always have to crash on the downbeat when you go over the bar line. You can fill into an upbeat eighth or 16th e or ah. Or you can pick a place where the song/band accents and start two measures before that to play over the bar line into your accent.

User Info Menu

Great, thanks a lot guys, that's really helpful. My drum teacher told me that I've got good technique, I just need to work on my fills and 'finding one', so I thought I'd combine the two because they sound really good.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...