Thread: Reading Music for Hand drums

User Info Menu

Default Reading Music for Hand drums

This may sound like a silly question, but I have been trying to find some common resource for learning to read music when playing conga/djembe/etc. So far the things I have found have been all over the map.

There is box notation where where some sort of code is used to represent the drum tone (slap/bass/open tone/etc). For example, a really nice book Conga Joy uses box notation with S-Slap O-Open B-Base F-Flam, H-heel, T-Toe. Then another conga book use geometric figures like a triangle for slap, star for base, circle for open tone, etc.

I have seen some staff notation where they will put different symbols on the drum notes (like a circle, X, slash) to represent the tone and the position on the line to represent the drum.

It seems like nearly every publication I pick up does it it differently. So, finally to my question. Is there any commonality in hand drum sheet music, what is mostly used, and what do you recommend for a hand slammer to learn?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reading Music for Hand drums

Welcome to Drum Chat midgard! Nice to see a fellow Oregonian on here.

Most of what I have seen is done in box notation. What your describing from Conga Joy (great book) is the most common that I have come across. I have seen the other types and the best piece of advice I could give is to learn all of them. Hand percussion originates from many different ancient cultures and they all have their own way of notation. There really has not been a lot of effort put into making one type of universal notation. Box notation is as close as it gets. It's not hard to learn all of them. I have seen about 5 or 6 different types. Make yourself a master sheet that cross references all types and you should be good to go.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Reading Music for Hand drums

Can't believe I overlooked this one, dudes...

I've seen notation both ways (symbols and conventional notes) with letters under them indicating L for left hand, R for right hand, etc., but 1DB is spot-on with his suggestion.

Another factor too of course is that while symbols are useful for practicing, you're gonna have a tough time notating some types of hand drumming (a high-speed martillo involving thumb "pops", for example, or an ad lib fill)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reading Music for Hand drums

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat midgard! Nice to see a fellow Oregonian on here.

Most of what I have seen is done in box notation. What your describing from Conga Joy (great book) is the most common that I have come across. I have seen the other types and the best piece of advice I could give is to learn all of them. Hand percussion originates from many different ancient cultures and they all have their own way of notation. There really has not been a lot of effort put into making one type of universal notation. Box notation is as close as it gets. It's not hard to learn all of them. I have seen about 5 or 6 different types. Make yourself a master sheet that cross references all types and you should be good to go.
    HOLA como estas 1DRUMBUM*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) EXCELLENT INFO *as you know that you can apply drum
    TRAP Reading as well **since the DRUMS (TAMBORES ) & HAND TAMBORES
    share some Techniques at least for Me I apply DRUMMING TECHNIQUES FROM
    the STICKS to THE HAND & FINGER TECHNIQUES USED for THE HAND DRUMS &TABLA**or ALL of the HAND DRUMS **BUT I am EXTREMMMMXX
    of the (BOX) CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST CAT***GRACIASwithin all My JOURNEYS & BEYOND within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM**