Thread: Seattle World Rhythm Festival

User Info Menu

Default Seattle World Rhythm Festival

Those of you fellow hand drummers who may be near the Seattle area between April 25 ~ 27 may want to check out the Seattle World Rhythm Festival. It is three days of over 100 workshops/drum circles/performances in downtown seattle center. You can check out the web site at: http://swps.org/.

They are having workshops on everything from afro-cuban to shakers, to african rhtymns to fundamentals of 6/8 time - and everything in between. Take a look at the their schedule of workshops at http://swps.org/swps?zs=3199225681;page=schedlistwrf08 and you will see what I mean!

I am really looking forward to attending this year, and if nothing else, I will report back on how it was.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Seattle World Rhythm Festival

Wish that I were close enough to attend...I know that I would like it. I'll be waiting to read what you have to report.

User Info Menu

Oh, I forgot to mention the price -- amazingly enough, it is a free event...

User Info Menu

Hola como estas MIDGARD*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) GRACIAS for the info**IT sounds Like A GREAT EVENT
    alot of CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST their *Gracias'

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Seattle World Rhythm Festival

How ironic my older daughter visited Seattle two years ago and didn't tell me about this! (she's not a drummer, obviously! )

Gonna have to check it out in person (if not this year, next?), so be sure to keep us updated, man! Sweet, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I'll be there for sure! You can't miss me. I'll be the one with a big grin on my face for 3 days straight!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    I'll be there for sure! You can't miss me. I'll be the one with a big grin on my face for 3 days straight!
    I thought that was going to be me! Have you been to this event before drumbum? This is going to be my first time, so I am really stoked.

Actually I am looking forward to most of my early summer what with the Salem World Beat Festival and the Eugene Country Fair -- both great events for hand drummers (plus the country fair has the added bonus of being a full on hippie fest - lol ) Unfornately I have not quite been able to sell the wife on going to the Famoudou Konate 4 day workshop in late June in portland, but hey the rest of the events are going to be a ton of fun!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Seattle World Rhythm Festival

Just occurred to me there has to be similar festivals elsewhere beside the coasts...

Wonder if we can beat the bushes (if not the bongos of course! ) to help compile a listing of these events where we hand-slammers can beat drums and meet brother and sister drummers?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Nope, I've never been before. It's about time I got around to it.

I've been to the Country Fair many times (just me and my djembe) and it is always a lot of fun. The first year I went, I was actually traveling with a group of hippies and we went from Frogfest, to EcoFest, then to the Country Fair. It was definetely an eye opening experience on a different way of life.

I had not heard about the Salem World Beat Festival. I'm assuming it's probably at the fairgrounds. Any idea on what days? I've already been looking at the Famoudou Konate workshop, but at $350, it's a little steep for me. I'm in Rhythm Traders in Portland quite a bit, so if I miss it, I'm sure the guys will fill me in on what was taught.

Hopefully, we'll run into each other in Seattle, but if not, at least in Eugene!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I've been to the Country Fair many times (just me and my djembe) and it is always a lot of fun. The first year I went, I was actually traveling with a group of hippies and we went from Frogfest, to EcoFest, then to the Country Fair. It was definetely an eye opening experience on a different way of life.
    I love the Country Fair, Eugene is defintely the town that time forgot in 1964! For those intrested, it is July 11~13 and the website is: http://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

I had not heard about the Salem World Beat Festival. I'm assuming it's probably at the fairgrounds. Any idea on what days?.
    I live in Salem, so the event is very convient for me. It is free and down at the water front park on June 28~29. They haven't got the schedule nailed down yet, but it is going to showcase Pacific Islands. This event is not as interactive as the Seattle event or the Country Fair. But they normally have good performances of music and dance from all nationalities. They also have Dragon Boat races. The website for this is: http://www.worldbeatfestival.org/

I've already been looking at the Famoudou Konate workshop, but at $350, it's a little steep for me. I'm in Rhythm Traders in Portland quite a bit, so if I miss it, I'm sure the guys will fill me in on what was taught.
    Yeah, the price tag is the primary thing keeping me from it as well. I am also in Rhythm Traders a lot too (I have to go up to Vancouver about 3 times a month and try to stop by when I can). It is such an awesome drum store, especially for hand drummers. I swear I have more drums with the little drummer man logo on them! lol

Hopefully, we'll run into each other in Seattle, but if not, at least in Eugene!
    That would be cool!
    Last edited by drummer; 03-20-2008 at 01:24 AM.