Thread: drawbacks of a 26

User Info Menu

Default drawbacks of a 26

hey guy and gals, need some opinions on a 26 inch bass drum. i'm in the process of ordering shells to "build my own" kit. i love the fat sound of a 26 but have heard that they are "sloppy" feelin. na has 26 and can't feel any difference over a 22. so anybody has experience with this, i'd like to hear from you. if it helps, i'm goin with acrylic shells with the kick being 16 x 26. i play mostly hard rock, classic rock.

User Info Menu

Default Re: drawbacks of a 26

26" kick drums ?

Wow...never seen before honeslty...
    Can you post the pic as soon as the bass drums comin ??
    I'm eager to know....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Which manufacturer for acrylic? RCI? I have an RCI 24x16 that I love. I can't tell any difference between a 24 or 22. I settled for a 24 because it's easier to find heads.
    Last edited by XAydMary; 03-16-2008 at 09:01 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks guys for the info.
    totti - yeah i'll get some pics of the shells when they come in. it'll be awhile b4 the kit is done cause my time is limited right now.

xaydmary - yeah, RCI is the maker of the shells. they seem to be the most popular. i found the remo powerstroke 3 in a 26 so i'm good to go. I'm glad to hear that you feel no difference between the 22 and the 24. i'm worried that if it is sloppy it would slow my foot down, and it's slow enough.
    thanks again.

User Info Menu

i like smaller bassdrums.... and really. when you want to hear kick out of a subwoofer. a 18 inch sub isnt good a 8 inch is better...... the smaller you have the better responce. Lager would be slower in action and sound sloppier. And really if you can get a cannon out of an 18" Bassdrum. why would you get a 26?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I Think the 26" have a lower and deeper sound....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

i love the sound out of a 26
    you can get a punch out of it at just about any head tension
    and the low end is AMAZING when miced
    the reason to get a 26 over an 18
    one:
    it sounds like a huge low end pound that just hits you right in the chest
    two: it looks frickin bad@$$
    three: every engineer ive talked to loves how easy it is to get a throaty sound out of them at nearly any micing position

one side note
    just dont go any larger
    its one of those things where it gets better and better
    and then the next size up gives a steep drop off in pleasant sound
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

thanks guys, your right kjbakke2 the sound is amazing. i havn't heard alot of 18 bass drums so i really cant compare, but i have heard alot of 26 's and they all feel like your getting kicked in the chest. How does it play ? does it feel sloppy ? i'm gunna try and order the shells this week. thanks again.

User Info Menu

i guess thats cool. but then again that means its all sub bass and isnt technically auditable sound. Sounds ok for studio use i guess.... thing i would hate the most is the high toms that be mounted of it. or around it or whatever :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

26" bass drums sound huge boomy and as has been said before can be a handful to control, especially if they are deeper than 16 inches. But I think for pure aesthetics there is nothing that looks cooler on stage than a big ol 26incher. I would say though that I think the reality of the issue is they are pure overkill, and really unnecessary!

User Info Menu

everybody has a certain sound that they like, thats why there are so many different sizes and kinds of drums. its all a matter of personal taste. i just want to know if anybody here has or has played a 26 inch bass drum and how it felt. was it sloppy compaired to lets say a 22 ? neal peart has a 23 inch kick (yeah a 23 not 22 or 24). in a rag there is an add for dw, he said he loves the sound of a 24 but not the how sloppy it was. dw made a 23 for him and remo makes 23 inch heads for him. those of you that have played a 24 or 26 kick are the ones i would like to hear from. do you agree with neal or could you tell no difference ? don't get me wrong, i want to hear the other stuff like backtodrum has said. i'm trying to get all the info i can before i order cause the shell itself is gunna run about $400. the total for the whole kit's gunna run bout $2000.00.
    thanks again

User Info Menu

well wouldnt you have to extend your foot pedal beater to hit the middle? if so that could throw the balance of it off making it feel sloppy

User Info Menu

coke can, i was wondering bout that myself. mike portnoy has a 26 in his monster and it looks like his beater hits the bottom of the middle. but that is somethin i would really like to find out. thanks

User Info Menu

I had a 24" in the 70s it was a killer drum and sounded huge and all. The beater did not hit the center of the drum and will not on a 26 either. but I don't know of any drummers who have increased the length of the beater rod. For one it is not strong enough for the diameter of the rod and it would bend at the extended length as well as make the pedal feel bad and out of balance. I say if you want a 26" go play a demo and see what you think. I will say that a 26" bass drum has way more boom than attack. They way around that if you are micing it, is close mic the beater head as opposed to just putting the mic in a port or in front of the resonant head. You can do it from inside the drum or mic the outside of the beater head with a mic by you foot pedal.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: drawbacks of a 26

SMALLER DRUM IS EASIER to control in studio but live aint nuffin like that BIG BAM BOOM,,,,GOOD LUCK WHATEVER YER CHOICE
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i found a store close by that has a 26 inch ludwig that im gunna try this weekend and a friend that has a 24 inch that im gunna try also. after talkin to him, im leanin toward th 24 cause he said its still has the big fat sound of a 26 but the response of a 22. best of both, we'll see. i'll post after i play. thanks to all.

User Info Menu

Goodlucky with building the kit. Make sure you post pics.... even mid construction would be cool
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i'll try my best. i'll order the shells next week, but findin the time to put them together will be the hardest thing for me. thanks again

User Info Menu

I have a 22" kick it's okay, 26"s are suppsosed to be really deep, but they require alot of tuning.

User Info Menu

i own 22"s and have acsess to an 26". and i understand what they mean by slopy. we found that to get a soid rebound from the 26 we had to crank its tuneing up pretty high while the 22 didnt need as much tightness. at lower tuneings it feels like the pedal is sinking into the head. but at the tighter it cant be beat. pain to transport though.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waznad View Post
    i found a store close by that has a 26 inch ludwig that im gunna try this weekend and a friend that has a 24 inch that im gunna try also. after talkin to him, im leanin toward th 24 cause he said its still has the big fat sound of a 26 but the response of a 22. best of both, we'll see. i'll post after i play. thanks to all.
    good choice sir
    one of the best kicks i have ever played was a 24 inch dw with an emad
    sounded amazing
    good luck =]
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Have you considered rather than a bigger head, going with a standard 22 or 24, but getting a deeper shell for more boom.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

once on stage it's all up to the soundman how your bass drum is going to sound. not the size of the drum

dbunk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dbunk View Post
    once on stage it's all up to the soundman how your bass drum is going to sound. not the size of the drum

dbunk
    Depends on how much can manipulate pitch. Physically, all other things being equal, a larger diameter drum produces a lower pitch than a smaller diameter drum. Also with acoustic drums, depending on the venue, not all of the sound will be heard through the system.