Thread: Is this drum set good?

User Info Menu

Default Is this drum set good?

I've been checking out this drumset and was wondering if it is good. I just started playing drums and this seems to be a good deal for what you get.

I've read the reviews and they seem to be mostly positive except everyone says to replace the heads.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is this drum set good?

The link will not work, but I see Gretsch in the title so they are going to be decent drums if they are the Catalina and above series, they will serve you well and are very nice drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socaldrums View Post
    I've been checking out this drumset and was wondering if it is good. I just started playing drums and this seems to be a good deal for what you get.

I've read the reviews and they seem to be mostly positive except everyone says to replace the heads.

The Gretsch Catalina Maple drum kits are an awesome buy! I own a Renown kit and couldn't be happier with my drums. I can hardly believe that they can sell those Catalinas for the price they do.
    they have sound clips for these drums and some very nice finishes to choose from. The sound clip space is fun to play with too.

I'm not really pushing Gretsch or any other brand - I'm only saying that these drums sound great and for that money you can't go wrong. I just paid $449 for a DW snare - I can get a whole beautiful UV-GLOSS shellpack here for $250 more!

Good luck in your quest!

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Socal, the only thing that you have to remember is that this is a shell pack, so you will still have to buy cymbals, cymbal stands (including hi-hat), a bass pedal, and a throne. Just an FYI to make sure that you were factoring in these items, but I would imagine that you saw that at the Guitar Center site. depending on the quaity of the hardware and cymbals, you are probably going to spend an additional $600-$700 for hardware and cymbals (something like a Zildjian ZBT will be decent to begin with).

It's still an awesome deal, and the Cherry Red Gloss is an awesome looking finish (I went with the Deep Amber finish, because I like to see the woodgrain, and it looks awesome too).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes indeed as pastor_bob has pointed out you will need hardware to go with those Catalina shellpacks on Indoorstorm.

They have 5 pc Gretsch Catalina Maple or Ash (you choose) kits compete with hardware (I'm not sure if bass pedal is included) for $1,299 CD - Canadian maybe isn't as good of a deal for our USA brothers and sisters as was in the past few decades - but still a good price. I was in the store last week and if I didn't have my Renowns I would have bought them - knowing what I know now about the quality of those drums. They just feel, sound and look so nice.

Hope this is not too wordy but I thought you might want to know what I've found out about the pricing of these drums.
    Gary

User Info Menu

hit your local music store up to see if they will match a website price too. Because chances are they will...... Then you get it the special price. an instore warranty. And they will service the brand warranty too. Plus they can send it for repairs etc where as guitar center cant.

Give it a shot. If im wrong go back and buy it online.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters