Thread: Frank's Kit: Top View

User Info Menu

Default Frank's Kit: Top View

Taken on stage just prior to playing with the big band.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../FranksKit.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Frank's Kit: Top View

whos the make? dont recognize the tom mounting. good lookin kit fiacovaz.

User Info Menu

The drums are: 1964 Ludwig Classics: 5 1/2 x 14 Supraphonic 400 snare; 9 x 13 small tom; 16 x 16 floor tom; 20 x 16 bass drum. I also have the 18 x 16 floor tom but rarely take it on gigs. The red sparkle wrap is original and tight. The mounted tom holder is the original Roger Swiv-O-Matic...much better than the Ludwig hardware of the time.

User Info Menu

nice kit, i think i have now seen this kit from every possible angle. anyways its an awesome kit and i love above view pictures

User Info Menu

Beautiful Frank! You have every right be be very proud of that kit. You've obviously taken very good care of them!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wow...
    You got some awesome kit there, mate....
    Last edited by totti; 03-18-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

thats a nice set up. id be mighty happy with that one :> nice kit
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

looks comfy frank.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    looks comfy frank.
    You know something, that would be a very interesting thread. What makes a kit comfortable to sit behind and play without hurting yourself. I've thought about that for a long, long time. Am I sitting to high or to low? Are the drums at the right angle with cymbals at the right height? Is the snare at the optimum height and angle for the style of playing I do? And, am I sitting close enough or away enough to be comfortable with the kick drum and pedal? However, as you pointed out, it is "Comfy" but it does take up some room to make it that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    You know something, that would be a very interesting thread. What makes a kit comfortable to sit behind and play without hurting yourself. I've thought about that for a long, long time. Am I sitting to high or to low? Are the drums at the right angle with cymbals at the right height? Is the snare at the optimum height and angle for the style of playing I do? And, am I sitting close enough or away enough to be comfortable with the kick drum and pedal? However, as you pointed out, it is "Comfy" but it does take up some room to make it that way.
    Yes - first of all I like your Red Ludwigs - very nice! And, "comfy" drum setup - drum placement etc. would be a very interesting and helpful thread. I realize there are "different storkes for different folks" but there are some set-up tips that are probably timeless and very helpful for the beginner as well as experienced drummers out there.

There may be already such a thread - I've not looked for it yet.

Thoughts?
    Gary

User Info Menu

I remember your set when you wrote about you new snare drum...fantastic set up!! I'm a fan of those Istanbul cymbals...I use the Mel Lewis Signature ride and hat. Like you, I've not seen any thread concerning drum placement and I too, think there are some timeless tips we could all use. I will start a post on the subject and let's see what comes from it.

User Info Menu

Go for it Frank! I think the placement idea is great for a new thread. I, for one, would be very interested to read about what others have discovered. I am still going through a constant adjustment period (how high to sit on the throne, where to place each cymbal, high high for everything, and at what angle). Little by little, I'm finding what I like, but I also know that Drum Chatters have shortened the learning curve for me on so many things, that I would really like to hear what people have to say!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Frank, you stated in an earlier post that the tom mount you have is a Roger's Swivo Matic. Was that a factory or dealer intalled item, or did you do it yourself when you purchssed the kit? I have heard of that conversion often and wondered if Ludwig was doing it at the factory rather than design their own system. I have read where that was the conversion of the day for those kits. I am just curious about the history?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Frank, you stated in an earlier post that the tom mount you have is a Roger's Swivo Matic. Was that a factory or dealer intalled item, or did you do it yourself when you purchssed the kit? I have heard of that conversion often and wondered if Ludwig was doing it at the factory rather than design their own system. I have read where that was the conversion of the day for those kits. I am just curious about the history?
    I had the conversion done as "After Market" service. In other words, I did it myself. Actually, my drum teacher did it. At the time, the Ludwig tom hardware (rail and consolette) was not the greatest at keeping the small tom mounted in an upright position. A hex-socket wrench was provided with the kit to tighten the mount but, I could never get enough torque to do that. I wasn't the only student, either, who was doing this. Lots of the guys were making the conversion. The Rogers Swiv-O-Matic was the very best hardware at the time and was the prototype for all drum manufacturer's to follow. Today, while my vintage set is original and in excellent shape, I am certain that, from a collectible point of view, it's probably not worth as much because of the conversion. As far as I know, Ludwig was not making any conversions. You've heard about it because so many drummers had made the conversion for the simple reason that it worked. The Swiv-O-Matic has been on my drum since 1965 and continues to hold the tom tight and true.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Frank's Kit: Top View

Man, that kit looks as sweet as I imagine it sounds!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Man, that kit looks as sweet as I imagine it sounds!
    And it sounds as sweet as you imagine

User Info Menu

If that kit were a car it would be a '67 Sunbeam Tiger!

HBdrummer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    The drums are: 1964 Ludwig Classics: 5 1/2 x 14 Supraphonic 400 snare; 9 x 13 small tom; 16 x 16 floor tom; 20 x 16 bass drum. I also have the 18 x 16 floor tom but rarely take it on gigs. The red sparkle wrap is original and tight. The mounted tom holder is the original Roger Swiv-O-Matic...much better than the Ludwig hardware of the time.
    OOOOhhh...nicey, nicey, niiice! -HB