Thread: roland kd-8 kick trigger vs. high priced triggers??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default roland kd-8 kick trigger vs. high priced triggers??

hi everyone. i know i only really drop by when i have a question to ask, but im real busy and dont have much time for posting on boards, but i definatly apreciate the comments i get on here..

anyway.

i just purchased a cheap simmons electronic kit simply for jamming with friends in my apartment. but the simmons kick trigger is awful to say the least. im in need of a good upgrade that will feel similar to a tight kick drum head. (really tight)

the cheapest one that supports double pedals that i could find was the roland kd-8 for around 115$. the next step was a pintech for 250-300$ . from there it gets worse! roland kd-80-85 and up from there are all 300-400$ even on ebay!

so has anyone ever played the kd-8 kick trigger? does it missfire? is it sensative enough to use for a recording?

i know some kick triggers need to be slammed on in order to get any kind of sound, but i need something sensative so i can do speed.

ive find it funny that people claim death metal drummer can only play that fast due to there use of triggers lol. i only find triggering harder because it requires a more acurate kick . and unless you have a sensative kick trigger, you need to really hammer your kicks.

??

===============
    Advertisement

Drum Bum <br />
<br />
- T-shirts and Gifts for Drummers
    arnold for president!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: roland kd-8 kick trigger vs. high priced triggers??

Yep, I've been using the KD-8 for the last year or so. I like it a lot. It is very accurate and never misfires, but it has a somewhat soft, squishy feel to it.
    It works fine for me, because I just use it with a single pedal for effects, 808 bass hits, etc. I definitely never use it for very intricate parts, so I'm not sure how accurate it would be for that kind of thing...
    It has a decent feel to it, but does not feel like a tight bass drum head.
    I hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    Yep, I've been using the KD-8 for the last year or so. I like it a lot. It is very accurate and never misfires, but it has a somewhat soft, squishy feel to it.
    It works fine for me, because I just use it with a single pedal for effects, 808 bass hits, etc. I definitely never use it for very intricate parts, so I'm not sure how accurate it would be for that kind of thing...
    It has a decent feel to it, but does not feel like a tight bass drum head.
    I hope this helps!
    yeah, i think ill go down to sam ash and see if they have one setup that i can tryout before spending money on one.. but then again, this is only for jamming with friends.. and there is one on ebay at 51$ right now! bidding ends soon so if i win it and then i hate it i guess i didnt lose much money.. ill just re list it
    arnold for president!!

User Info Menu

I play a kd-8 at church and it is soft and doesn't trigger very well with a double pedal. I usually get either two weaker triggers or one louder trigger and then the second beater is off center and triggers more softly.

Bottom line soft feel and great for single pedal. Ok for double pedal at best. Spend to get one that is mesh if you can.

Happy shopping!
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Actually, the Roland KD-7 is a much better trigger than the KD-8. Mesh head with adjustable tension, so you can set it at whatever firmness you want. Put a falam slam pad on it with a double pedal setup, and every hit will trigger the same, ie. no ghost notes. I played with one for a few years before I went acoustic and was extremely impressed with it. You can usually get one off of Ebay for around the same as the KD-8.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Actually, the Roland KD-7 is a much better trigger than the KD-8. Mesh head with adjustable tension, so you can set it at whatever firmness you want. Put a falam slam pad on it with a double pedal setup, and every hit will trigger the same, ie. no ghost notes. I played with one for a few years before I went acoustic and was extremely impressed with it. You can usually get one off of Ebay for around the same as the KD-8.
    ?? the kd-7 is an inverted beater trigger for single pedal only..

you may be thinking of kd-80 wich is way more expensive
    arnold for president!!

User Info Menu

incase anyones wondering, i purchased the kd-8 kick trigger from ebay and it still didnt help the simmons kit.. so i decided it must be the module thats so insensative.. anyway, i found a roland td-3 on ebay for around 200$ and this solved my problems! tottally perfect triggering on the kick and way WAY better drum sounds! way better module...

wanna hear something i recorded with it? check it out here www.myspace.com/mrosongs
    arnold for president!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deadforaminute View Post
    incase anyones wondering, i purchased the kd-8 kick trigger from ebay and it still didnt help the simmons kit.. so i decided it must be the module thats so insensative.. anyway, i found a roland td-3 on ebay for around 200$ and this solved my problems! tottally perfect triggering on the kick and way WAY better drum sounds! way better module...

wanna hear something i recorded with it? check it out here www.myspace.com/mrosongs
    Cool man, ya Roland E drums are greeat. Congrats on your Ebay victory! My buddy used my TD6's for his full record. I will be posting some songs as soon as he gets them mastered. I'll let ya know when I post it. Blessings..........

User Info Menu

I agree with everything said here. The only thing I'd like to add is that you have to be very careful with buying Roland V Drum products on Ebay. I've been watching and reading about many scams on Ebay involving them. They're such a hot item that the shysters are keyed up on them. I'm looking to get a TD 20 on there myself but because of the scams, I'm not sure if this is the route I want to take. I buy a lot on Ebay and have never been scammed, I hope to keep this streak alive. Blessings........

User Info Menu

20 seconds till i win a roland td-3 module for $200 woohoo..

i love ebay, i bought one of these years back for $350 new. ebay just saved me $150
    arnold for president!!