Thread: Building Kit idea.

User Info Menu

Default Building Kit idea.

Everyone seems to be building their own kits at the moment. And i have been thinking about the roland i wanted for a while. Since im one to be different i thought. Why dont i build my own shells to put the triggers inside there.

So what im gonna do. Is get the shells built out of perspex *or simular* make some coloured shaped and weird looking shells. To drop the pads into.

So first. What are some good pads to be dropping in these things... Slow i know you would be a good to help me out with this.

Second what is a good australian perspex company that could forfull an order for 10".... 14".... 8" pads.

Any help anyone would give me would be great.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building Kit idea.

Just use mesh heads and triggers, then you will have the feel of real drums and the benefits of electronic drums in terms of volume and all. You can actually make any acoustic kit electronic in that way. I am converting my sons kit right now.

User Info Menu

Ya I think you are making things harder than they need to be. Buy a used kit and convert it. The rubber pads kinda sux compared to the mesh heads.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Building Kit idea.

Stevo, catch 2slow either here or in the Shoutbox...he seems to be the "bongobro" of electronic kit building! (couldn't resist playin' a riff on what people say about hand drums and me, mate!) That is, 2slow's done it a lot and he's got some useful tips he can pass on to ya...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

using triggers, you can make a "shell" look like anything. i think its agood idea. you could cut out all kinds of designs from acrylic or any other material. i would always be looking for different things to mount them on/in. maybe paper mache' some human heads and mount the pads int he back of the heads.

User Info Menu

I was also gonna mount lights and create a lighting program for them i think.
    Back to Drum what mesh heads are you using in the conversion?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    using triggers, you can make a "shell" look like anything. i think its agood idea. you could cut out all kinds of designs from acrylic or any other material. i would always be looking for different things to mount them on/in. maybe paper mache' some human heads and mount the pads int he back of the heads.
    HOLA Como estas FUNKYMCSTAIN CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST
    DRUMMER(CAT) *EXCELLENT POINT*& WHY NOT STEVEO*(MASTER BLASTER) can do this *FORSURE **GRACIAS I always SAY WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) OR (CATRESS) its ALL GREAT ,,
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 03-21-2008 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Custom made perspex stuff is gonna cost a fortune.
    Look up acrylic manufacturers and you'll find someone.

User Info Menu

What would be tougher? Because it would want to be somewhat tough in taking some torque. And then figuring out how to mount them.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters