Thread: Site upgrade?

User Info Menu

Default Site upgrade?

I been talking with sticks. We think the site needs an upgrade because the shoutbox is kicking most of us off when it gets busy.

Now with the idea that this will cost more money... why dont we start a gold membership? A payment to the site.... 5/10 bucks a year. whatever. Something small to keep people onto it. And a gold membership forum just for paying members, and gold membership ranking.

But its just an idea to keep up with how the website is growing... When i started no one was on during my timezone. Now there are quite a few. So it is growing and were staying same size?

What do ya say drummer?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: Site upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I been talking with sticks. We think the site needs an upgrade because the shoutbox is kicking most of us off when it gets busy.

Now with the idea that this will cost more money... why dont we start a gold membership? A payment to the site.... 5/10 bucks a year. whatever. Something small to keep people onto it. And a gold membership forum just for paying members, and gold membership ranking.

But its just an idea to keep up with how the website is growing... When i started no one was on during my timezone. Now there are quite a few. So it is growing and were staying same size?

What do ya say drummer?
    HOLA COMO ESTAS STEVO/MASTER BLASTER CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) IT seems FAIR & A GOOD IDEA***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

right on stevo, shout box can be frustrating. I would pay it. this site is kicking don't want to see it fall short. mabye the gold members could have their own page for posting pics and stuff. I'm on another audio forum that does that.

User Info Menu

Thats a good idea... this is what we need. Ideas for people to have reason to pay. There are lots of people that would pay.... especially if we can create reason for which people would want to pay :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

well if you havent noticed many people join this forum just to get a quick answer to things. i started off wanting to know what kind of cymbals i was going to get, planning on never returning after i got my quick answer, i gave myself a stupid name (LOL) and it turns out now im a top dog and i am on this site constantly. now if they had to pay to become members, then i think this site would miss the chance at growing even further by gaining members who are drawn for the people and the great advice, not the chance to get a free tshirt after paying a cheap price.

i say stick with a seperate shoutbox window if you really want to be in the shoutbox that long

User Info Menu

I tend to agree with you CC. I've noticed how people tend to come here for an answer to a question, then realize what a special place it is, and stay. I really wouldn't want that to change.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I don't know that they'll ever charge money to use the board but I'll certainly pass along the comments about some of you getting kicked off when using the shoutbox. I rarely get kicked off so I'm not sure what's going on. Are you guys all running high speed? Is it only happening when the shoutbox is busy or even during slower times?

User Info Menu

the sad thing is when people come and post once or twice, then leave forever

User Info Menu

I like it just how it is, without paying. When I'm on the shoutbox box time to time however, I do have to refresh often to keep up with the conversation. FYI, I do have highspeed net though. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

im not talking about every one tho. Im talking about us "top dogs" that wouldnt mind paying to get a little more speed. still keep it free... but for people who want to be a bit more consistant and give them some special features.... throwing the money back into keeping the website fast....

And drummer its just that when the chatbox gets going the server doesnt have enough bandwidth and cant handle us all. because sometimes it happens to me and not drumgirl... and she is on dialup! ...

Either that or just upgrade the site and leave it free? i just thought of it as a money solution? It would only take a few members at a few dollars a year to have enough to cover the upgrade.

Just an idea tho.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Computers can be and often are very frustrating machines to deal with. I've had more occurrences of being bumped out of my AOL chat room that I have off of Drum chat. What I do notice is that when Chat room is fuller, the system tends to slow down. When I do a Shout and don't see it displayed, I click send and see the message that my previous shout is still posting. At that point, I click out of Drum Chat Forum and then re-enter. Voila!! Everything is cool once again. I am not a computer genius but this makes me think that it's my own computer at fault and not the system. I am on DSL broadband at the lower 256 kbs. My RAM is maxed at 384.

User Info Menu

Yes this does fix it but what it does is just refreshes your connection to the server and will slow down again after your next shout. So by the time you refresh every time when its busy you get left behind too easy. But also people searching through the forums slow this down and vice versa too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I've passed along some of your comments and concerns. I'm sure they have someone looking into it, especially if it involves instability in some way.

User Info Menu

I joined here because it was casual, and didn't have different levels of membership to have to buy just to participate.

A different idea, why not set up a Cafe Press free merchandise shop, design Drum Chat t-shirts...etc. You could raise money that way if an upgrade is needed that costs money. (It is VERY easy to set up a shop) I am a member of other sites that do this.

If we had to pay just to ask a question or chat with friends, I doubt I would hang out here much anymore.

Just my opinion.
    "There's a woman in the United States who predicted the plane we were traveling on would crash. Now, a lot of people would like to think we were scared into saying a prayer. What we did actually--we drank."
    - Ringo Starr, 1966

User Info Menu

Guys, I am told that IT is currently working on it. We just have to be a little patient as they go through the software to isolate the problem. This too shall pass!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

woot!..... thats great too hear....
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

more speed....more faster....more better! thanks for the update PB. i was trying to shout earlier tonight and it just wasn't having it. the threads are taking forever to load as well. im not complaining tho cause i love this place and you guys all rock!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your understanding Cdaug. And I agree, the folks around here rock! BTW, that includes you! I haven't been able to get into the Shoutbox lately, but I do keep up with the posts.

User Info Menu

Its really a great development. I have always wanted this a long time ago. But its really hard for people like me who live in N igeria to send money through the net. i dont know if anything can be done about it

User Info Menu

got a search question for you all...is there a way to search old threads for a topic? sorta like a google search...you know...type in key words to get to a older thread rather than just start another and have someone pipe up and say thats been addressed before.
    thanks.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Marty, the black Nav Bar at the top of the page has the option to "Search." That should help you find things that you need. It doesn't always zero in on exactly what you want, but then Google doesn't always do that either.

User Info Menu

DOH!!! quote Homer...my eyes never looked at that...staring me right in the face...geeez thanks PB
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride