Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ride the HH's more or the Ride more?

User Info Menu

Default Do you ride the HH's more or the Ride more?

This may sound trivial but I always find it fascinating that some drummers don't ride the ride cymbal that much, to the point where I wonder why they even own one. On the flip side, I see some guys leaning toward their ride cymbal heavily.

User Info Menu

Ride cymbal almost always during the chorus. And on the bell when I really want to drive it home...like 1/4 notes on the "and". I wore ther logo off the first week I had it. For a swing song I stay on it all night...ting, ting, ta ting.

User Info Menu

my band has this jazz bridge we play and its just the bass going deeper into the fret board, then the guitarist pipes up, and i tom roll. then i start onto the ride AND the hi-hat. hi-hat i will tis-tis-ti tis-tis-ti tis-tis-ti tis
    or sumthing like that and the ride 1 & 3 or if im feelin it 1-4
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Some hi-hat fun is "50 ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon (Steve Gadd on drums). Left handed (if you are a right handed player) on the hi-hats. It can be challenging at first.

User Info Menu

it's good to use a balance between the hh and the ride...you have to decide what sounds better for each section of each song

User Info Menu

agreed
    but i think in jazz, every song is a ride occasion!
    =D
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

jazz does favor the ride...although i've heard some crazy hh numbers b4

User Info Menu

When playing freely, I find myself using the hi hats for most everything.
    And when I do play my ride cymbal i get to intense, and it sounds nasty.
    I think i may need a new ride cymbal soon. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    When playing freely, I find myself using the hi hats for most everything.
    And when I do play my ride cymbal i get to intense, and it sounds nasty.
    I think i may need a new ride cymbal soon. Any suggestions?
    Yea, take your ride cymbal with you when you pick out a new one. Set them up side by side and try out a ton of 'em. Find a store with a great selection.
    If you have a friend whose ride you like, take theirs also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Some hi-hat fun is "50 ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon (Steve Gadd on drums). Left handed (if you are a right handed player) on the hi-hats. It can be challenging at first.
    I can play it!

User Info Menu

I ride like others have said, during the chorus and also I will ride the 18 crash when I need that extra punch and sound.

User Info Menu

i usually play the hh more often but a some of the songs i play use the ride... like right now i'm making a song and it uses the ride a lot
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

I guess it all goes back to the music. Because on jazz and blues, the ride is my partner there. But mood sets the pace as well.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I would have to say I'm about 50/50. It really depends on the type of music your playing.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i have to agree .....about 50/50 ....most of our songs require the rid ein th chorus or i ride the crash in some .

dave

User Info Menu

about 75/25 in Rides favor but really it depends more on the song
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Default Do you ride the HH's more or the Ride more?

About 50/50...depends on what I'm playin'...

User Info Menu

I don't have ride...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you ride the HH's more or the Ride more?

The songs I play typically start out on the hats and to the ride on the chorus. I may go to a crash for the ride on a second chorus.

User Info Menu

In all honesty, I rarely use my ride, although I like crash it and use it for some accenting! maybe if I got a better ride, I would use it more for riding!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

I use the bell more than the ride itself. I play a lot of metal so I don't really need it. Mine sounds like $h!+ anyway. I have a Meinl HCS.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

i think i find myself riding the ride more than the hihats, and the bell quite a bit too. I just like the feel it has... however like other have said it depends a lot on the song. Also, when I'm riding the ride i find my self using my left foot to add plenty of hi hat chicks anyway.
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I lean HEAVILY toward the hats and usually have to remind myself that the ride is there. It really has nothing to do with sound, my ride actually sounds much better than my hats, I just feel really comfortable playing with my hands crossed. LOL!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I split it pretty evenly...maybe a little bit towards the ride.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

dave0549jv Guest

I definitely favor my hats.