Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY electric drums

User Info Menu

Default DIY electric drums

Thought I would start a DIY thread . I've converted 3 kits so far so if i can help any one let me know !

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: DIY electric drums

2slow, just out of curiosity, how much does an average conversion run, and how much time does it take to get a conversion done?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

That is a cool Idea, This would be a cool thing to do with my old CB percussion Kit, What mesh heads, and other parts did you use?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    2slow, just out of curiosity, how much does an average conversion run, and how much time does it take to get a conversion done?
    PB that is a hard one to pin down.

The things needed are..

Drums or shells

Triggers..you can build them or buy them

Mesh heads the pearls are cheap 1 ply hart makes a good mesh head

Cymbals there are DIY from real cymbals, rubber like the rolands and factory made triggered plastic and metal

and then you will need a sound module roland is the best but there are several companys that make them

Or you can use computer programs that trigger the sounds and these are by far the best most real sounds you can get the only draw back is it takes a dedicated high end computer

And if you plan to play live you will need a "drum" sound system

as for the cost it depends. What i did was bought a nice TD-10 kit kept the module,cymbals and cables and sold the rest. I found this to be the cheapest way to convert a kit

Time... once the triggers are built or bought and fitted it does not take much time. I can take my converted kit back to acoustic in about an hour or back to electric in about 2 hours.

Hope this helps and if i missed something just ask !
    Last edited by 2slow; 03-24-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Thanks 2slow!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

After playing the hart 6.4 kit for a few days i switched back to the DIY mapex kit and I think I like it better ! It is a real drum set so it is great for practicing quitely and then being ready to play the acoustic kit at church. If this feeling stays the hart kit will be for sale soon ! DIY kits are nice anyone wanting to build one let me know I will be glad to help !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Or you can use computer programs that trigger the sounds and these are by far the best most real sounds you can get the only draw back is it takes a dedicated high end computer
    what is your recommended interface from the trigger to the laptop? is there delay?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    what is your recommended interface from the trigger to the laptop? is there delay?
    I did not get that far into the computer program because of the cost. But I did find out that there can be an ever so slight delay I do know of a very good company that builds computers with the program loaded and they know way more than I understand about it ! I can get that info for ya if you want .
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

i would like to get some more info. would like to integrate more triggers into the mix for live performance. would greatly appreciate any leads you could throw my way 2slow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    i would like to get some more info. would like to integrate more triggers into the mix for live performance. would greatly appreciate any leads you could throw my way 2slow.
    Sent you a PM cdaug
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

you can run your triggers into anything that runs at asio and with enough ram you can turn the latency to pretty much zero. You can also get triggers onto your acoustic drums if you want to record with triggers but keep your acoustic sound for yourself.

Im gonna use a breakout box..... i forget what their proper name is but it has heaps of inputs that run at asio. straight from the triggers into the card. This can then be run into a separate program and run as a brain instead
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    you can run your triggers into anything that runs at asio and with enough ram you can turn the latency to pretty much zero. You can also get triggers onto your acoustic drums if you want to record with triggers but keep your acoustic sound for yourself.

Im gonna use a breakout box..... i forget what their proper name is but it has heaps of inputs that run at asio. straight from the triggers into the card. This can then be run into a separate program and run as a brain instead
    What he said !!!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

hehe slow :P While you may know about e drums. I have spent years with computers and fewer times with audio technology but i learnt about this stuff in our course. I also know because this is what i am to use eventually. Its what im working towards. I just dont know exactly what im gonna use to do this but i know it exists! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

The computer samples are by far the best . I just did not know enough to go that way. The modules are a no brainer!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

now your talking! i'll do some research on this and if i have any questions mabye you can help out?

User Info Menu

sure ill get the model of the thing im thinking off. I think they have stopped production though so it will be hard to get your hands on one it will have to be second hand... or ill look into alternatives.... Then you can run it into a program called drummagog. or ill have to search magesy for something else. then you buy samples and let the program take care of them. Then running at asio speeds you can use the laptop as your brain not a td or whatever.... which potentialy would save heaps of money! :>

throw questions my way and ill be happy to answer and figure out.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

FYI if you are putting a mesh head on an acoustic drum use tape on the bearing edge to protect it ! I use electrical tape and it will break down so it should be checked on occasion. Don't want to hurt the bearing edges !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Hey you said that twice :P

Those cross bars under the mesh head, are they pre made or did you make them yourself slow?

And slow its never too late to learn. Would you like to try get you upto date on computer connections? Because i could open a thread on how to do it maybe. I just need to figure it out properly before i tell you incase im wrong :P Would you like to experience though? Im gonna look at that site and figure out some good samples to use :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

FYI if you are putting a mesh head on an acoustic drum use tape on the bearing edge to protect it ! I use electrical tape and it will break down so it should be checked on occasion. Don't want to hurt the bearing edges !
    Is that the sticky stuff I found on the edges of a couple of the toms?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Is that the sticky stuff I found on the edges of a couple of the toms?
    Yep sorry i thought i got it all off .
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

did you make/sell bish a kit slow?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Bish has my black cherry saturn kit now. A pro kit for a Pro drummer !!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Bish has my black cherry saturn kit now. A pro kit for a Pro drummer !!
    Ut oh...who is supposed to have the kit? A pro drummer? Ok, I'll start looking for one.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

is that the mapex up there /\ its beautiful.

Did you keep the blue one slow?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

is that the mapex up there /\ its beautiful.

Did you keep the blue one slow?
    Yep thats the DIY kit I'm using now !
    E Drums !! !