Thread: B8 Hi-hats Versus ZBT Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default B8 Hi-hats Versus ZBT Hi Hats

I have been playing Sabian 14" B8 Hi-hats at home, and I inherited a set of ZBT Rock Hi-hats (also 14") when a Fire Department Band I had been directing had to fold this year, because the Fire Department Dropped us for financial reasons. The Hi-hats had been used as Marching Hand Cymbals, and I discovered them in with the other Band equipment that is taking up space in my house.

Now I know that neither the B8s or the ZBTs are high end Cymbals, but I did some side by side comparison and to me the ZBTs seemed like they were the better sounding of the two set of cymbals. Anyone else compared these two, what were your oppinions?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: B8 Hi-hats Versus ZBT Hi Hats

Whew! I'm still playing the ZBT hats, so I'm really glad you didn't say the B8's sounded better to you! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Like PB, I played with ZBT Rock hat as well...
    I like it very much...have a nice and crisp sound although the price is inexpensive...

I've played with B8 and PST5 Hats....
    Still, I think ZBT better than them....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Totti, that was my impression also, the ZBT are crisper sounding.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

zbt is better

User Info Menu

I play with B8's, I like the sound of them
    My friend has ZBT's and I don't care for them much

His ZBT's are 13" compared to my 14" B8's
    And his ZBT's haven't been cleaned in god knows when
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Both are the same basic formula, just different nomenclature for different companies. Play which ever one sounds best to you. You will find the subject debatable with everyone siding with which ever brand they own.

User Info Menu

BTD, I am not siding with the cymbals that I own. I really do think that Zildjians sound the best to me. Oh, and it's just a coincidence that Zildjians are on my kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I would pick a ZBT over a B8 any day, I used some B8s for a while because they were cheap and durable, after breaking both of my ZBT crashes, but I couldn't stand the sound and put my ZBT hi-hats back on back on

User Info Menu

i have the 13" zbt hats on my practice/student kit and have played the 14" b8 pro hats quite a bit. i def prefer the sound of the b8 pros. it is prolly the size but the 13" zbt's are sloppy and bend terribly when the foot is down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BTD, I am not siding with the cymbals that I own. I really do think that Zildjians sound the best to me. Oh, and it's just a coincidence that Zildjians are on my kit!
    PB, I didn't mean to be insulting at all. What I meant by that is when ever someone asks about one product over another (particularly kits) they always seem to recommend what they own because that is what the listen to day in and day out when they play. It is the sound they are most familiar with in their minds.

User Info Menu

Sorry for giving the wrong impression BTD. I was just playin' with ya! I certainly didn't take it as an insult. I guess you couldn't see the tongue in my cheek all the way from New Mexico!

User Info Menu

Yea, yea, yea, PB you got me, I should have read it differently, it is too early in the morning. I see the tung in cheek now!

User Info Menu

BTD,
    I think you're right about people picking what they own, because that is the sound they are used to. I asked this same question on another forum, and a lot of B8 owners responded they were better. Having the opportunity to have both side by side, I can say that the ZBT are definately louder and have a more defined Clink sound than the B8s, which to my ears were dull sounding. I assume that in a cymbal line in this price range there may be some variation within cymbal sets in the same series.

User Info Menu

I have zbt 14" hi hats and am very happy with them. I dont care for the zbt ride though.

User Info Menu

I agree MS! I'm OK with the 14" Hi-Hats, until I find the sound that I think is right to replace them. Right now I am actively searching for the right sound for my ride. Every chance I get, I try to put a pair of sticks on a ride. At some point I'll take my cymbals and get serious about making a choice.

User Info Menu

When comparing the two hi-hats , we really need to compare the same sizes. A 13inch to 14inch will most definately not sound the same. Comparing the 14inch ZBT to the B8's, ZBT hands down.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

So ZBT winning the vote....

I myself even think that PST-5 have better sound than B8....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX