Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Set Upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Drum Set Upgrade

I'm looking into upgrading to a nicer drum set within the next few months, and I was leaning towards ddrum until I heard some horror stories on this forum, any truth behind them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Set Upgrade

Hey Peachy what are your current kit ???
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Peachy, there have been those that have had some real problems with the bearing edges on the ddrum kits. Apparently, it is not an isolated problem, and ddrum acoustic kits have taken a large hit on their reputation because of their quality control issues. At the same time, they will apparently bend over backwards to make customers happy (which suggests that they are well aware of the quality control issues), so it really depends on whether you are willing to spend the extra time getting things sorted out if you get one of the bad kits.

Personally, with so many other good kits out there, I's rather spend my time playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have no experience w/ ddrum but why don't you tell us your "price range" and what size kit you are looking to get in that range. I'm sure we can give you plenty of suggestions!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

well my price range is anything less than $2,000 I already have cymbals, some nice some not, and my current set is an entry level tama swingstar I liked the ddrum kits because of the small rack toms that could be positioned very close to you snare while also being almost completely flat I would like to end up with a 2up/2down kit with the two rack toms on a tom stand positioned a little bit to the left of my kick base with the toms as close to the snare as possible... thats about what I am looking for hahaha
    Last edited by peachyplace; 03-23-2008 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

gretsch renown maple is your solution

User Info Menu

that is a nice lookin kit Coke_can, I'm headin down to guitar center on wednesday to check stuff out I'll make sure to see if they have one of those

ThePloughman Guest

Your most obvious, and most economically sound upgrade would be to find a nice high end kit used. With 2K at your disposal, theres no reason you cant be playing DW collectors, Ayotte Custom, Top Line Sonor, Ludwig, Gretsch or Pearl Masteworks. If you are dead set on playing a new kit..... Pacific maple might be what you get. If you can swallow that unreasonable newish pride, then the sky is your limit.

User Info Menu

Yeah I was acually hoping to find a nice used set when I go down wednesday. Does the quality of drums really even reduce after they are played if they are taken care of?

ThePloughman Guest

No. Here is a good example of good drums taken care of over 42 years....These are from 1966. They cost 650.00 new. In 1966. You couldnt touch them for under 2500 today.

Well taken care of is good. I would recommend ebay and craigslist, and get the help and opinions of others before you buy.

User Info Menu

Want a really good drum set?...well made and good looking and for a resonable buck...and American made?...check out Fibes!

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-23-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo

ThePloughman Guest

For the money you have to spend, you can get way better than DDrum.

User Info Menu

I would agree with the Gretsch Renown, definitely not the DDrum. Gretsch has some of the best quality sets around and you can't deny that it's alot of drum for the buck. Your budget leaves you a number of options also, so don't limit your selections to things with stipulation, find what you want.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Want a really good drum set?...well made and good looking and for a resonable buck...and American made?...check out Fibes!

all the best...
    I am a new member and I've been kind of hanging around waiting to take that first post plunge - decided to pipe in and echo kay-gee's comments. I have a Fibes maple kit and everything he said is right on the money - plus it sounds absolutely wonderful. I am in the process of changing over to all maple rims and hoops - am putting on the BD hoops tonight but everything else is changed - and I really love the sound I am now getting from something that sounded great to me to begin with and it's a new look that works for me. I'm surprised that more people aren't tuned in to Fibes....

User Info Menu

Peach, I bet if you waited a few weeks they will be wanting to close those kits out at an even more reduced price because PDP has redesigned the lugs and hardware for 2008. But you might even save some more of your budget for cymbals,etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blsmn View Post
    I am a new member and I've been kind of hanging around waiting to take that first post plunge - decided to pipe in and echo kay-gee's comments. I have a Fibes maple kit and everything he said is right on the money - plus it sounds absolutely wonderful. I am in the process of changing over to all maple rims and hoops - am putting on the BD hoops tonight but everything else is changed - and I really love the sound I am now getting from something that sounded great to me to begin with and it's a new look that works for me. I'm surprised that more people aren't tuned in to Fibes....
    That's one beautiful kit! The wood hoops really set it off and the sound has got to be full!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blsmn View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Blsmn! What a great 1st post! Those wooden hoops look beautiful on that kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey thanks guys for the comments and the welcome. Yea, the kit has definitely taken on a whole new warm, full sound that I really love. I don't want to pilfer peachyplace's thread here though with pics of my kit - I'll put up a couple in the show us your drums thread now that I have all the rims changed over. I just popped in to agree with kay-gee that Fibes is definitely a reasonable, great sounding, custom and well built in the USA viable option.

User Info Menu

Fibes also made one of the first Acrylic sets...AWESOME!!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome blsmn, I have never heard a negative comment about fibes. I have maple hoops similar to yours on my snare and I love what they have done for that drum. Especially for rim shots and cross stick (rim clicks) sounds, it is crisp and throaty if that describes anything. Jump in and enjoy the forum there is a good bunch of people here.

User Info Menu

They made the first fibre glass shells too, thus the name "Fibes". Few people know this, but in the latter years...Buddy Rich insisted on playing a Fibes snare drum, much to the dismay of his endorser, which was Slingrland at the time. For a time, they were owned by the famous CF Martin guitar company, but now are privately owned and manufactured in Austin Texas. They have a very Gretsch-like tone given that they also used Jasper shells instead of Keller. In my opinion Fibes is the best kept drum secret in America!

By the way...killer set you have there blsmn

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    They made the first fibre glass shells too, thus the name "Fibes". Few people know this, but in the latter years...Buddy Rich insisted on playing a Fibes snare drum, much to the dismay of his endorser, which was Slingrland at the time. For a time, they were owned by the famous CF Martin guitar company, but now are privately owned and manufactured in Austin Texas. They have a very Gretsch-like tone given that they also used Jasper shells instead of Keller. In my opinion Fibes is the best kept drum secret in America!

By the way...killer set you have there blsmn

all the best...

You're right about that and the Buddy Rich story too! Ludwig came out with the Vistalites but Fibes had already produced their acrylic drums and were known among the elite drummers as being an incredible instrument.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, there is allot of rumor around the Internet as to fibe's financial health. There are threads on other forums that state they may not make it. I don't know any of the details and it was months ago I read that. But there seems to be a level of concern. It would be a shame for them if that is true. Now don't get me wrong, I am not in anyway saying I know anything. again it was just forum banter about US drum companies and who was predicted to make and who wasn't. I didn't give it too much thought until this topic came up! I hate to see any drum company in trouble, but it is an awfully competitive market out there and I hope they weather the storm. Or perhaps there is no storm for them, however I haven't seen any advertisements in the major drum mags for their products so advertisement budget may be slim as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Unfortunately, there is allot of rumor around the Internet as to fibe's financial health. There are threads on other forums that state they may not make it. I don't know any of the details and it was months ago I read that. But there seems to be a level of concern. It would be a shame for them if that is true. Now don't get me wrong, I am not in anyway saying I know anything. again it was just forum banter about US drum companies and who was predicted to make and who wasn't. I didn't give it too much thought until this topic came up! I hate to see any drum company in trouble, but it is an awfully competitive market out there and I hope they weather the storm. Or perhaps there is no storm for them, however I haven't seen any advertisements in the major drum mags for their products so advertisement budget may be slim as well.
    It's interesting that you should mention this. Prior to making the switch to maple rims, I had called and talked with Tommy Robertson at Tommy's Drum Shop in Austin - he is the current owner of Fibes. He said that they are in the process of moving to a new production facility and should be ready to go in a couple months - that was about a month ago. I hope the best of luck for them - they have an amazing product.
    Last edited by blsmn; 03-26-2008 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Yea I hope so too, I would hate the rumor to be true.