Thread: Drum Machine Software

User Info Menu

Default Drum Machine Software

I play a lot of group based hand drum poly rhythms were there are normally 3 or 4 different parts that meld together into an ensemble. To facillitate practicing this on my own, I have been looking for decent computer software where I lay down the other parts and practice with with my "virtual" group. Do any of you do this and if so, what software do you use?

I have used the freeware HammerHead Rhythm Station http://www.download.com/HammerHead-R...-10027874.html which works, but is some what limited. It is very similar to the TR-909.

I have also used the JAS MIDI Hand Drum Rhythm Generator (http://www.khafif.com/rhy/rhygen.html). This too is extremely limited, but it does give you a sense for a riff you are trying to learn.

Some of the issues I have run into trying to use these kinds of programs include: 1) lack of a decent conga/djembe sounds for slaps/opens/bass tones. 2) Lack of a good sound when two different drum parts have overlapping notes - the two notes played at the same time get garbled

What would you recommend for doing something like this? How can we create a mix that we can practice to?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Machine Software

your best bet is a midi program and a midi instrument. Ill try figure one out for you
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Machine Software

Look Into A Roland "handsonic"...might Be A Step In The Right Direction
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Machine Software

try google a site called magesy. its full of music programs. but remember if you like a program and are using it regularly. Go out and buy the real thing to support the people making our programs for us
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters