Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Chinese Merchandise

User Info Menu

Default Cheap Chinese Merchandise

OK KG here's your thread. Vent away!

For all other Drum Chatters, this will be your chance to give your expereince with all kinds of Chinese merchanise, both pro and con.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap Chinese Merchandise

Hmmm....Does Wuhan count as Chinesse items ?? >.<...
    Quite good, I think....

I have so many chinese merchandise here....
    From pencil, DVD player, Lamp, accesories, even cell phone...
    Not much satisfied me...But they have a price that make our eyes rollin'....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cheap Chinese Merchandise

At the risk of turning this into a political issue, how many of us shop for anything--from dishes to drum kits, from bicycles to bongo drums, by price?

The truth is, the reason we get "cheap crappy Chinese merchandise" is we want cheap merchandise period. Chinese employees are paid literally pennies an hour for work days of 14 hours or more. Full disclosure: At my job, I see aisle after aisle of items made in China...frankly, that's one of the reasons my employer can boast of its "always" low prices.

I still try to purchase U. S.-made products whenever I can, but most American brands of drums and--for that matter--most other musical instruments are no longer made in the U. S. because our work force is much more highly paid than their offshore counterparts.

And even an American brand name is no guarantee it came from an American factory...my beloved LPs and CPs were built in Thailand because that country is close to the sources of the Siam Oak used in the shells and the water-buffalo skins that make up the drumheads. And the labor to produce a competitively-priced pair of bongos or set of congas is much less than it is in the U. S.

I have played Chinese-made drums, and they sound comparable to inexpensive American drumkits...the hardware leaves a bit to be desired, but if you buy by price, they'll do...

If we are sincere about avoiding cheap Chinese merchandise, not only will we have to play the drums to hear them, but also check the drums themselves to see where they were made--and then put our money where our mouths are...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

You nailed it Charlie.

User Info Menu

Most all American brand drum hardware, via DW, Gibralter, Ludwig etc. is made in the same factory in Taiwan to each companies specs, the name of it escapes me now. So even the hardware from reputable American companies is still contracted out overseas. Labor costs and environmental laws I feel are the main reason for a lot of this. Chrome shops are considered high risk to the environment and are extremely expensive to insure in this country. There are very few insurance companies that will even consider a chroming facility. Work comp rates for those operations are out of site as well because the employees are working around sulfuric acid in the chroming process. So it is simple economics that they out source hardware to a more economically compatible country to supply the need. There are other factors other than Labor costs that drive companies to overseas manufacturing. Some of the reasons such as environmental laws that make it uneconomical and uncompetitive to manufacture a product in this country. I am sure some of these factors are debatable, but other reasons are valid.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 03-24-2008 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Go to Wal-Mart and you see a ton of Chinese made crap. I saw a documentary on a news channel about Wal-Mart corporation paying Chinese workers $0.06 an hour and then charging them rent out of that paycheck. It's pretty messed up.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

On one hand it's sad to see that over the last decade or so, we have been bombarded with some cheap products made very poorly from inferior materials...

But on the other hand, the competition that this has created has caused the manufacturers of very good products to charge more realistic prices to maintain there place in the market.

So as consumers we win, and the over-priced producers are given a kick up the butt, but it's probably not worth the violation of human rights that goes on.

ThePloughman Guest

I just want to say I really appreciate that all my fine things came to me through the labor of seven year olds with small hands sold into slavery so their parents could have chicken for a year.

The more we offshore, the higher their standards of living will be. And the quicker they will want what we have, and the higher things will be. We already pay as much for a Hyundai as a Chevrolet.

User Info Menu

There are many reason why US goods are made off shore and I'm not going to open up that can of worms. But, primarily, pricing has got to be a huge factor. There are some good drums produced in the Orient with our brand names but they are not made to the original standards once produced here in the U.S. DW's have been the only brand manufactured here for a long time but Ludwig and Gretsch have returned their top line production to the States. The Ludwig Legacy and Gretsch Renowns are American made as before and are expensive. When I was young, we used to say that if we wanted "Good" we paid "Good." But, back then, we weren't outsourcing American jobs and production.

User Info Menu

I don't really buy chinese products nor Filipino products. I've got that 'foreign countries are better' mentality because its true! But when it comes to drums I have Pearl and Yamaha hardware.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Getting really sick of worthless CRAP! The other day wife went to open a bottle of wine with a made in China corkscrew. the downward pressure proved too much I guess and the device broke at the collar section, rendering it useless on it's maiden voyage too as it was bought that day. A simple device unable to perform the simple function for which it was designed. This is turning up more lately. A power tool for instance. Sure it's nice to buy a drill for 19 bucks but you wind up going thru 5 of them in the time of the Makita drill that cost 75 bucks. My latest fiasco was with the Fender Passport that failed to work right out of the box upon delivery. In glaring letters on the back....Made in China...Shame on you Fender!!! for entrusting your name and goodwill to these 3rd world child slaves. From now on only boutique stuff for this guy. I want an amplifier made by "free" men who actually know and understand music and the passion of manufacture is as great as the passion of playing good gear. I could say tons more but I wanna keep my blood pressure down.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Glad you got the opportunity to get it off your chest KG! There really is a lot of junk out there, and not just from China. They say, "Let the buyer beware," but shame on companies who knowingly put out inferior merchandise like KG has run into.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I like the crunchy Chinese noodles on my salad

User Info Menu

They do make those very well, don't they! I also like those Chinese chickens in the Chinese Chicken Salad!

User Info Menu

And how about Chinese Checkers!!!! Who doesn't love Chinese Checkers?????

User Info Menu

Ah, I spent many summers of my youth engaged in Chinese Checkers at my grandparent's house! Good times!

User Info Menu

Gotta love chinese checkers
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

I do remember this kind of scenario in the '70s regarding Japanese products. Japanese products are well regarded now in the US specially automobiles. South Korea is on its way to equal the Japanese. The Chinese are learning fast, and they too will join the ranks of their predecessors. Our manufacturing industry have been decimated for several reasons and in time
    an Asian drum forum will be discussing cheap US products.

User Info Menu

Mapex is a chinese brand right? or was it Taiwanese?
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I like the crunchy Chinese noodles on my salad
    you crack me up DC!

User Info Menu

Oh, and let us not forget about........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsod...eature=related

Shazane Guest

Taiwanese manufactured products, such as Pearl drums, are much better. ADMIT THEM TO THE UN!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I don't really buy chinese products nor Filipino products. I've got that 'foreign countries are better' mentality because its true! But when it comes to drums I have Pearl and Yamaha hardware.
    *Cough*...We have a same problem here mate....Since we're neighbour, we have same 'foreign countries are better' mentality....
    My Kit :
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

haha yeah Totti, we are neighbors, our people dont look much different too
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

Yeah...
    But in Indonesia Chinese Things are very booming and exploding....
    Once again, It's cause of their insane price....

How bout Filipino ?? I assume you have same condition there huh ??
    My Kit :
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    16" ZHT EFX