Thread: Words that inspire and comfort

User Info Menu

Default Words that inspire and comfort

I came across the thread started by Sue about Sad Songs. I was really surprised by how many here bared their souls...that's not something most people will do. I posted my reply and dropped a couple of names that I have not though of in many years. One name, in particular, is Rod McKuen. I have a couple of his books: Stanyon Street and Other Sorrows; and Listen To The Warm. These are moments of such beauty, depth and anguish. I'm one of the older drummers in here so I don't expect that many of you will know Rod McKuen. Doesn't matter...find him on Google and get to know him. I found comfort in what he wrote because he was able to say for me what I could not say for myself. This thread is to invite any who might have a voice to inspire or comfort, that you would like to share with the rest of us.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Words that inspire and comfort

How does this pertain to drum sets?

User Info Menu

Anything that can comfort and inspire, be it words, music, film, has a direct relation to how we feel about ourselves at any point in our Life. And that relates to our ability to perform with our drums. When we feel so depressed or dejected we are vulnerable. Being consoled and/or inspired will help to lift us above the doldrums and, in an esoteric sense, allow us to turn to what we love, other than Family...our drums. The works of Rod McKuen were appealing to me and I simply offered to share that with anyone here who would care to accept.

User Info Menu

Still not seeing it.

User Info Menu

I have heard of Rod Makuen, and may have even see him interviewed on a Canadian religous show

all the best...