Thread: ID this Zildjian for me

User Info Menu

Default ID this Zildjian for me

I got this cymbal at the church this weekend. They were gonna toss it in the can. It has the Zildjian stamp. I didn't measure it but it looks to be 20" and has a LOT of wash in it. It is keyholed pretty bad but I put a Grombal in it and it is good to go. See the second picture for that. Someone tell me what I got here and how much it would go for. Im gonna sell it and give the money to the youth group. Thanks.

Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: ID this Zildjian for me

can you post a closer view of the stamp?

User Info Menu

I would say it looks like a Zildjian Avedis series given the lathing pattern, but I am confused by the holes in the bow. Do you think those are original, or were they drilled post sale?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I would say it looks like a Zildjian Avedis series given the lathing pattern, but I am confused by the holes in the bow. Do you think those are original, or were they drilled post sale?
    They look original PB. CC I will try to get a pic of the stamp for ya. I think PB is dead on about the older Avedis.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

It is an older Zildjian ride that has been modified with a rubber grommet to compensate for the key holing. looks to be drilled out and put in. the holes around the outer edge are for rivets which are no longer there so I say it is a zildjian sizzle cymbal that has its rivets drilled out.

User Info Menu

Here ya go CC

Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

I'd say early to mid 1960s zildjian sizzel cymbal. also real popular in the 60s.

User Info Menu

I failed to mention that if that were my cymbal I would put the rivets back in and us it for what it was intended for. It would be a cool effect cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    It is keyholed pretty bad but I put a Grombal in it and it is good to go.
    The grommet is a Grombal which is made to prevent keyholes. Unfortunately I got the cymbal after it was keyholed. I wonder how they got the rivets out without damaging the cymbal.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    The grommet is a Grombal which is made to prevent keyholes. Unfortunately I got the cymbal after it was keyholed. I wonder how they got the rivets out without damaging the cymbal.
    I have seen them before and it appears you can get them out with a pair of side cutter/ wire cutters, or grind the heads off with a dremal or drill and abrasive wheel. they are easy to re-install should you decide too!

User Info Menu

Looks like my cymbal, Dave. Got mine in 1965 and had it drilled for sizzles...8 holes. How many are in yours? You describe the Wash very well...that's why I don't use mine to much anymore. However, a piece of tape here and there on the underside does help. Is your cymbal warped on the outer edge...kind of looks that way in the picture.

User Info Menu

Wow good eyes Frank. It has some slight warping. I think the light makes it looked worse than it is. There is some residue on the underside where someone had duct tape on it. I may get some rivets and see what she sounds like.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

I was looking at the keyhole and the grombal (?) you put in... does keyholing affect the overall sound of any cymbal? sorry for the newbie question.
    Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

my schools jazz band has one of these its real nice for some stuff but the teacher decided since im the only one who ever uses it and i cant be in jazz band he was gonna sell it (i beged him for it but he refused to give it to me but offered to sell it for 500) he made about 700 with it on ebay.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rubb3rduck View Post
    I was looking at the keyhole and the grombal (?) you put in... does key holing affect the overall sound of any cymbal? sorry for the newbie question.
    Key holing does not effect the way the cymbal sounds, only the way it reacts on the stand when it is struck. Sometimes when a key holed cymbal is struck they will move allot more than is desirable. The Grombal I suspect helps the cymbal return to normal movement and playability.

User Info Menu

Yes backtodrum is correct. The Grombal's primary use if to prevent keyholes and cracks. They work great by the way. But I put one in this cymbal since it was already keyholed and it works great. Keeps the cymbal balance so to speak.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Looks like my cymbal, Dave. Got mine in 1965 and had it drilled for sizzles...8 holes. How many are in yours? You describe the Wash very well...that's why I don't use mine to much anymore. However, a piece of tape here and there on the underside does help. Is your cymbal warped on the outer edge...kind of looks that way in the picture.
    LOL................Frank you most shop the same stoe I do cause I have one just like it .

Gotta love those classic Ludwigs and Zildjians .